Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:50:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Musical 'F*** my Hat, I didn't know that!'

Started by Rocket Surgery, February 21, 2018, 08:37:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGreggles

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on February 21, 2018, 09:33:07 PM
Who was the 1990s Premier League football player with uncharacteristically impeccable indie boy tastes in music? He used to get fed up with his teammates because they only ever played modern R'N'B on the tour bus.

Pat Nevin?

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

That's the fella. Big fan of The Fall and what have you.

Dr Syntax Head

I knew Joe Satriani was Steve Vai and Kirk Hammet's guitar teacher but I hat fuckingly didn't know he also taught Primus' Larry LaLonde.

Related note (note lol) Gilmour was Barrett's guitar teacher. Not really an obscure fact but y'know.

thraxx

Quote from: DrGreggles on February 21, 2018, 09:50:29 PM
Pat Nevin?

Didn't he tell a tabloid paper that his favorite singer was Joy Division?

Jockice

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 21, 2018, 08:16:08 PM
He also released an lp under the name Pizzaman.

And his real name's Quentin. Paul Heaton apparently 'encouraged' him to change it as he didn't want The Housemartins to sound posh. Their guitarist Stan Cullimore's real first name is Ian.

I once went to a party on the road where Paul Heaton lived as a child. It's a pretty posh place too.

Dr Syntax Head

I'm a big EMF fan. My hat got fucked when I found out Ian Dench did loads of work for the likes of Beyonce, Shakira and Florence and the Machine among loads of other pop related work. (ahem) Unbelievable.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on February 21, 2018, 09:55:23 PM
That's the fella. Big fan of The Fall and what have you.

He DJed at this event I was at a few years ago. The man knows his onions*.

*If you like those sorts of onion**
**I do

Oops! Wrong Planet

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on February 21, 2018, 08:28:39 PM
George Wendt is an enthusiastic fan of punk and noise rock.

To be fair to Lisa Jesusandmarychain, he posted that further up the thread. (Or is it a running joke?)

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on February 21, 2018, 08:38:45 PM
As is Loyd Grossman.

He reviewed albums for Rolling Stone and Fusion in the late 60s, early 70s: https://www.rocksbackpages.com/Library/Writer/loyd-grossman

buzby

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 21, 2018, 07:40:33 PM
Drummond and Cauty learned a lot about producing music from Pete Waterman as well.
It's certainly Waterman's opinion.
Specifically it was supposedly during the recording of Brilliant's only album with SAW in 1986. The band included Cauty and Martin 'Youth' Glover (ex-Killing Joke bassist, who also went on to be a successful producer and was part of the original Orb lineup with Cauty and Paterson) and Drummond was their A&R man at WEA. The album was a flop, only reaching number 83 in the charts..

Drummond's view of the experience was a bit more circumspect:
Quote from: Bill Drummond
I signed a band called Brilliant, who I worked with, we worked together, and it was complete failure. Artistically bankrupt project. And financially deaf. We spent £300,000 on making an album that was useless. Useless artistically, useless commercially.

As The KLF they accurately parodied the then-current SAW style on 1989's Kylie Said To Jason, which was also a flop and led to the original version of The White Room (and the accompanying film) being scrapped.

One of thYe Chemical Brothers basically does fuck all production wise these days and gets paid much less because of it.
Ed Simons basically became a part time member and stopped touring in 2014, as he wanted to concentrate on an academic career. Tom Rowlands has diversified into being a successful producer for other artists as well as doing most of the Chemical Brothers' heavy lifting

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Oops! Wrong Planet on February 21, 2018, 10:47:37 PM
To be fair to Lisa Jesusandmarychain, he posted that further up the thread. (Or is it a running joke?)

No, just running idiocy on my part. I missed the previous reference to Norm's love of noisy alternative rock.

Fabian Thomsett

Terry Gilliam is somewhere in the background of The Mothers of Invention's 'America Drinks and Goes Home' making crowd noises.

Nick Drake and Chris DeBurgh were at Marlborough College at the same time.

Fabian Thomsett

Quote from: DrGreggles on February 21, 2018, 09:50:29 PM
Pat Nevin?

Good mates with Vini Reilly from Durutti Column, apparently. He was talking about him a lot when he was on Danny Baker's Radio 5 show last year.

Fabian Thomsett

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Fabian Thomsett on February 21, 2018, 11:34:11 PM
Good mates with Vini Reilly from Durutti Column, apparently. He was talking about him a lot when he was on Danny Baker's Radio 5 show last year.
Duritti Column's "Shirt No. 7" is, I gather (perhaps wrongly) a reference to Pat Nevin's Chelsea (and Everton?) role.

I would add, contrary to what was posted above, that Nevin never played in the Premier League. He crossed the Mersey to Tranmere just as the PL was set up. But apparently he once insisted on being subbed at half time for Chelsea at a pre-season friendly somewhere (Bradford, I think) so he could see a Cocteau Twins gig.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: buzby on February 21, 2018, 10:58:29 PM
Ed Simons basically became a part time member and stopped touring in 2014, as he wanted to concentrate on an academic career. Tom Rowlands has diversified into being a successful producer for other artists as well as doing most of the Chemical Brothers' heavy lifting

I've been told it's been going on much longer than that.

As for the KLF stuff, I thought Drummond pretty much admitted it in 45 and satirised it in The Manual.

Brundle-Fly

Wyclef Jean said It Doesn't Matter (2000) was spawned by hearing Buster Bloodvessel's version of Longsy D's This Is Ska remix.

WJ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAag-nlCJQ0

BB
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-AxBlbMCAA

kngen

The last Peel Session commissioned by the man himself before he died on holiday in Peru was drum&bass act Klute aka Tommy Stupid, drummer of 80s hardcore band, and Peel regulars, The Stupids. The title of their 1985 debut LP? Peruvian Vacation.

Gregory Torso

^ that's some prime hat fuckery with the added bonus of making me feel sad.

buzby

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 22, 2018, 12:50:40 AM
I've been told it's been going on much longer than that.
Rowlands has always done most of the studio work, but it was only in 2014 that Simons stopped doing the live shows as well
As for the KLF stuff, I thought Drummond pretty much admitted it in 45 and satirised it in The Manual.
Although it's a satire, The Manual actually gives glowing praise for SAW's skills and Waterman's ability to spot a hit chorus:
Quote from: The Manual
They are ridiculed by much of the media and only have their royalty statements for comfort. History will put them up there with Spectre and the boys. Waterman might be a loud mouthed, arrogant, narrow minded, self publicist, but the man has never outgrown his true, deep and genuine love of "Now" pop music.

The year that the pair of us spent working with Stock Aitkin and Waterman pulled into focus what we had learned about pop music throughout the rest of our lives.
The quote from Bill I posted earlier was from a 1991 radio  interview. I think Bill's attitude towards pop and SAW's methods were tempered a bit post-1989 by the failure of KSTJ (the bootlegs of the original version of The White Room show it was mostly in the same vein). and led them to rethink and invent the 'stadium house' style.
Quote from: Bill Drummond, 2004, speaking about The KLF's 'stadium house' hits
To an extent we were playing with the genre, with the medium of it, but at the same time we were doing it for real. It was driven by a love of what we were doing, not a Pete Waterman- type cynicism. We were making the best records we could.

ieXush2i

Frank Beard, the drummer from ZZ Top, is the only member of the band to lose his virginity.

Sebastian Cobb

In fairness to Waterman I wasn't really a fan of his stuff outside maybe dead or alive and Mel and Kim, and didn't really like how one of his tracks could dominate the indie charts (he was essentially the anti-Tony Wilson), but the more stray facts and quirks I find out about him, him putting people up, some of his politics, the more I warm to him.

In terms of the KLF I was a little disappointed to hear P.P. Arnold claim she never got paid for her vocal work on their records.

Neville Chamberlain

I've mentioned this before, but The Shend (as he calls himself!), who shouts for one of the UK's best punk bands The Cravats, is the chap who plays the bass in Shona McGough's band in the first episode of KMKYWAP.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: (Ex poster) on February 22, 2018, 09:31:40 AM
Frank Beard, the drummer from ZZ Top, is the only member of the band to lose his virginity.

It's easy to think that by looking at them but I bet they were going through groupies like lemmy back in the Eliminator days. Tres Hombres indeed.

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: (Ex poster) on February 22, 2018, 09:31:40 AM
none of them have, lets be fair

jobotic

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on February 22, 2018, 10:02:55 AM
I've mentioned this before, but The Shend (as he calls himself!), who shouts for one of the UK's best punk bands The Cravats, is the chap who plays the bass in Shona McGough's band in the first episode of KMKYWAP.

The Cravats are playing fifteen minutes down the road from me in a couple of months!

Do Land of the Giants!!!

jobotic

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on February 22, 2018, 10:04:17 AM
none of them have, lets be fair

They've all had Backdoor Love Affairs though. After looking for Tush downtown. Unless that was bravado.

Crabwalk

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 22, 2018, 10:01:28 AM
In fairness to Waterman I wasn't really a fan of his stuff outside maybe dead or alive and Mel and Kim, and didn't really like how one of his tracks could dominate the indie charts (he was essentially the anti-Tony Wilson), but the more stray facts and quirks I find out about him, him putting people up, some of his politics, the more I warm to him.

He claims to have been one of the 80 in the crowd at the Matrix in Coventry to see 'The Beatles' perform for the very first time under that name (after they dropped the 'Silver' bit). I don't doubt it, he's a Beatles obsessive. Another fun fact: he rates Lennon way over McCartney.

ajsmith2

Quote from: Crabwalk on February 22, 2018, 11:45:04 AM
He claims to have been one of the 80 in the crowd at the Matrix in Coventry to see 'The Beatles' perform for the very first time under that name (after they dropped the 'Silver' bit). I don't doubt it, he's a Beatles obsessive. Another fun fact: he rates Lennon way over McCartney.

Is that considered noteworthily non conformist these days? Odd how things have shifted round, back in the 80s and 90s it was definitely the other way around. But now you hardly ever hear a good word about Lennon from anyone. To the general pop culture public, he's the hypocritical twerp who wrote Imagine while beating his wife and owning a solid gold Rolls Royce, and even a lot of Beatles fans I encounter these days seem to consider him a bit of an idiot savant who sat around and drooled with McCartney did all the heavy lifting. The extreme reversal gets a bit tiresome these days.  I don't care, he still wrote the best songs in the Beatles. What's 's the Hard Days Night LP without his input eh? I'll tell you what: It's a 3 song EP.

buzby

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 22, 2018, 10:01:28 AM
In terms of the KLF I was a little disappointed to hear P.P. Arnold claim she never got paid for her vocal work on their records.
Hmm, it is a bit off. I guess it's not that she never got paid at all (she will have got a session fee for the recording of Burn The Bastards and the scrapped version of The Church Of The KLF, which is where the 'Mu Mu' and 'KLF aha-aha' samples came from) along with Katie Kissoon and The London Gospel Community Choir, but she says she did a deal with them for 5% royalty if any of her solo stuff was used, which they never honoured. That would apply to the intro of the reworked version of Church Of The KLF, where they isolated her performance from the choir vocal (though Katie Kissoon was still credited on it, as it's her presumably doing the harmony part at the end).
1989 scrapped version
1991 version

She was pissed off by them appearing on TOTP with someone else miming to her vocals (it was Maxine Harvey, who sang the lead vocal on the track), so when they did the new version of the video for the Stadium House Trilogy compilation they asked her to appear in it, but she refused to wear one of their 'blue Klu Klux Klan uniforms' when she got to the studio.