Author Topic: Musical 'F*** my Hat, I didn't know that!'  (Read 41208 times)

Re: Musical 'F*** my Hat, I didn't know that!'
« Reply #600 on: March 23, 2019, 04:14:01 PM »
Around that time he topped the US Hot 100 with a live version of 'Mony Mony' (which he'd previously recorded before he made the big time  - on what sounds a budget of 50p), though the really big hits ended not long after, probably not helped by him being out of action for a time after a rather nasty motorbike accident.

Which also, apparently, prevented him from taking the role of the T-1000 in Terminator 2!

unrelated, or related, your call. Here's a list of 4 people almost cast as Terminators.

Lance Henriksen (Cameron's first choice for the role)

OJ Simpson (Studio suggestion after a few more famous names turned the role down.  Cameron did not feel that Simpson would be believable as a killer.)

Billy Idol (as in post above, and yes, motorbike crash did for him)

Mariusz Pudzianowski (to have Arnie's face added in post-production for the end of Salvation)

« Reply #601 on: March 23, 2019, 04:28:26 PM »
unrelated, or related, your call. Here's a list of 4 people almost cast as Terminators.

Which makes sense. I never quite understood why Skynet would think a musclebound monster (with an Austrian accent) would make a good infiltration unit in a world where humanity is hunting rats down for any kind of nutrition. And I doubt the local gym survived nuclear Armageddon. However, I let it slide with the original film as it's bloody great.

Henriksen did (does?) have that malnourished look about him. Still, Cameron managed to get him cast as an android eventually. 

Jockice

• I really have red hair. And a **********.
« Reply #602 on: March 23, 2019, 04:54:11 PM »
They continued the 'Hugh in a sack' theme up until their final single. Incidentally, the school Heaton went to and wrote this song about is a few hundred metres from my flat. And was also attended by Graham Fellows and various members of the Human League, ABC and Def Leppard. But not me. Although Hemingway does look a bit like my old games teacher in this.

Emily Maitlis also went to the same school. I didn't know that till a few minutes ago.

thecuriousorange

• WELCOME THRILLHOU
« Reply #603 on: March 23, 2019, 10:54:39 PM »

OJ Simpson (Studio suggestion after a few more famous names turned the role down.  Cameron did not feel that Simpson would be believable as a killer.)

Billy Idol (as in post above, and yes, motorbike crash did for him)

Mariusz Pudzianowski (to have Arnie's face added in post-production for the end of Salvation)

Deceased wrestling legend Chyna claimed she was almost the baddy in Terminator 3.

thecuriousorange

• WELCOME THRILLHOU
« Reply #604 on: March 23, 2019, 11:02:17 PM »
And fuck your hat maybe you did know this Mick Jagger was the lead in Fitzcarraldo when they started filming it. He was soon re-cast.

« Reply #605 on: March 24, 2019, 10:40:22 PM »
There's a band called Blessure Grave, and I was thinking it like "bless your grave" hoo-haa, I bet they knew I would think that, idiot twat fromage frais, fucking anglais piece of merde - it's French for "serious injury". Fuck them, and their kisses and their toast.

Cuntbeaks

• Guess who's coming to dinner?
« Reply #606 on: March 24, 2019, 11:18:52 PM »
And fuck your hat maybe you did know this Mick Jagger was the lead in Fitzcarraldo when they started filming it. He was soon re-cast.
On a DVD i had, there were outtakes of Jagger acting a few scenes, he was absolutely fucking tragic. There was a direct comparison of a scene where Fitzcarraldo rings the tower bell. Jagger, gay. Kinski, electric.

« Reply #607 on: March 24, 2019, 11:27:52 PM »
On a DVD i had, there were outtakes of Jagger acting a few scenes, he was absolutely fucking tragic. There was a direct comparison of a scene where Fitzcarraldo rings the tower bell. Jagger, gay. Kinski, electric.

Apparently Herzog thinks differently. He still laments Jagger having to leave the film and was really upset about it, he thought he was fantastic. He was terrible in Freejack and Ned Kelly but was brilliant in Performance and very good in The Man From Elysian Fields so I've got a split opinion of him as an actor. Actually terrible doesn't quite cover it for Ned Kelly, it was embarrassing.

https://www.thelocal.de/20121205/46563

Twed

• "J" Joe Jeans and his jelly beans
« Reply #608 on: March 25, 2019, 02:06:39 AM »
More of an observation:

Cuntbeaks

• Guess who's coming to dinner?
« Reply #609 on: March 25, 2019, 09:18:30 AM »
Apparently Herzog thinks differently. He still laments Jagger having to leave the film and was really upset about it, he thought he was fantastic. He was terrible in Freejack and Ned Kelly but was brilliant in Performance and very good in The Man From Elysian Fields so I've got a split opinion of him as an actor. Actually terrible doesn't quite cover it for Ned Kelly, it was embarrassing.

https://www.thelocal.de/20121205/46563

The scene in question

https://youtu.be/9NguSHnOWik

« Reply #610 on: March 25, 2019, 11:31:17 AM »
The scene in question

https://youtu.be/9NguSHnOWik

Oh I'm not disagreeing with you really, just that Herzog really seems to think he was great so it's not all that clear cut. Kinski is playing the Jason Robards role there as well, so it's not really a fair comparison because aside from ringing a bell they're playing different characters, though I agree Jagger looks fey and a bit silly in that scene. Maybe the film had a different tone while he was in it? Robards was a fucking great actor and Kinski makes him look ordinary in comparison, Mick has no chance!

monkfromhavana

• Top one, nice one, get sorted
« Reply #611 on: April 12, 2019, 11:37:04 AM »
I have just found out that Hugh Fraser, the actor who plays Captain Hastings in Poirot was the co-writer of the theme tune to 'Rainbow'.

« Reply #612 on: April 12, 2019, 08:24:48 PM »
I have just found out that Hugh Fraser, the actor who plays Captain Hastings in Poirot was the co-writer of the theme tune to 'Rainbow'.
It's worth listening to the full length version for the melancholic folky middle section (or whatever the correct music terminology is):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJsaujSs7Fw

« Reply #613 on: April 12, 2019, 08:39:19 PM »
More of an observation:

nice work, Tom.

Phil_A

• HE WAS AN ROBOT
    • Chasing The Bumblebee
« Reply #614 on: April 17, 2019, 10:13:57 PM »
"Arthur's Theme", as performed by Christopher Cross for the soundtrack of the eponymous Dudley Moore comedy smash, was co-written by Burt Bacharach. Whaaaat

« Reply #615 on: April 17, 2019, 11:21:45 PM »
"Arthur's Theme", as performed by Christopher Cross for the soundtrack of the eponymous Dudley Moore comedy smash, was co-written by Burt Bacharach. Whaaaat
Co-written with Bacharach and this then-wife, to be strictly accurate. Plus someone else you might not have heard of.

famethrowa

• mere rhetorical frippery
« Reply #616 on: April 18, 2019, 03:54:18 AM »
Co-written with Bacharach and this then-wife, to be strictly accurate. Plus someone else you might not have heard of.

The Rio-going, white-trousered Peter Allen, who contributed just one line to the song, something about the moon