Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:59:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Musical 'F*** my Hat, I didn't know that!'

Started by Rocket Surgery, February 21, 2018, 08:37:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: The Culture Bunker on March 20, 2019, 05:38:53 PM
Around that time he topped the US Hot 100 with a live version of 'Mony Mony' (which he'd previously recorded before he made the big time  - on what sounds a budget of 50p), though the really big hits ended not long after, probably not helped by him being out of action for a time after a rather nasty motorbike accident.

Which also, apparently, prevented him from taking the role of the T-1000 in Terminator 2!

unrelated, or related, your call. Here's a list of 4 people almost cast as Terminators.

Lance Henriksen (Cameron's first choice for the role)

OJ Simpson (Studio suggestion after a few more famous names turned the role down.  Cameron did not feel that Simpson would be believable as a killer.)

Billy Idol (as in post above, and yes, motorbike crash did for him)

Mariusz Pudzianowski (to have Arnie's face added in post-production for the end of Salvation)

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: A Hat Like That on March 23, 2019, 04:14:01 PM
unrelated, or related, your call. Here's a list of 4 people almost cast as Terminators.

Which makes sense. I never quite understood why Skynet would think a musclebound monster (with an Austrian accent) would make a good infiltration unit in a world where humanity is hunting rats down for any kind of nutrition. And I doubt the local gym survived nuclear Armageddon. However, I let it slide with the original film as it's bloody great.

Henriksen did (does?) have that malnourished look about him. Still, Cameron managed to get him cast as an android eventually. 

Jockice

Quote from: Jockice on March 20, 2019, 09:47:29 PM
They continued the 'Hugh in a sack' theme up until their final single. Incidentally, the school Heaton went to and wrote this song about is a few hundred metres from my flat. And was also attended by Graham Fellows and various members of the Human League, ABC and Def Leppard. But not me. Although Hemingway does look a bit like my old games teacher in this.

Emily Maitlis also went to the same school. I didn't know that till a few minutes ago.

Quote from: A Hat Like That on March 23, 2019, 04:14:01 PM

OJ Simpson (Studio suggestion after a few more famous names turned the role down.  Cameron did not feel that Simpson would be believable as a killer.)

Billy Idol (as in post above, and yes, motorbike crash did for him)

Mariusz Pudzianowski (to have Arnie's face added in post-production for the end of Salvation)

Deceased wrestling legend Chyna claimed she was almost the baddy in Terminator 3.

And fuck your hat maybe you did know this Mick Jagger was the lead in Fitzcarraldo when they started filming it. He was soon re-cast.

Gregory Torso

There's a band called Blessure Grave, and I was thinking it like "bless your grave" hoo-haa, I bet they knew I would think that, idiot twat fromage frais, fucking anglais piece of merde - it's French for "serious injury". Fuck them, and their kisses and their toast.

Cuntbeaks

Quote from: thecuriousorange on March 23, 2019, 11:02:17 PM
And fuck your hat maybe you did know this Mick Jagger was the lead in Fitzcarraldo when they started filming it. He was soon re-cast.
On a DVD i had, there were outtakes of Jagger acting a few scenes, he was absolutely fucking tragic. There was a direct comparison of a scene where Fitzcarraldo rings the tower bell. Jagger, gay. Kinski, electric.

MidnightShambler

Quote from: Cuntbeaks on March 24, 2019, 11:18:52 PM
On a DVD i had, there were outtakes of Jagger acting a few scenes, he was absolutely fucking tragic. There was a direct comparison of a scene where Fitzcarraldo rings the tower bell. Jagger, gay. Kinski, electric.

Apparently Herzog thinks differently. He still laments Jagger having to leave the film and was really upset about it, he thought he was fantastic. He was terrible in Freejack and Ned Kelly but was brilliant in Performance and very good in The Man From Elysian Fields so I've got a split opinion of him as an actor. Actually terrible doesn't quite cover it for Ned Kelly, it was embarrassing.

https://www.thelocal.de/20121205/46563

Twed

Cuntbeaks

Quote from: MidnightShambler on March 24, 2019, 11:27:52 PM
Apparently Herzog thinks differently. He still laments Jagger having to leave the film and was really upset about it, he thought he was fantastic. He was terrible in Freejack and Ned Kelly but was brilliant in Performance and very good in The Man From Elysian Fields so I've got a split opinion of him as an actor. Actually terrible doesn't quite cover it for Ned Kelly, it was embarrassing.

https://www.thelocal.de/20121205/46563

The scene in question

https://youtu.be/9NguSHnOWik

MidnightShambler

Quote from: Cuntbeaks on March 25, 2019, 09:18:30 AM
The scene in question

https://youtu.be/9NguSHnOWik

Oh I'm not disagreeing with you really, just that Herzog really seems to think he was great so it's not all that clear cut. Kinski is playing the Jason Robards role there as well, so it's not really a fair comparison because aside from ringing a bell they're playing different characters, though I agree Jagger looks fey and a bit silly in that scene. Maybe the film had a different tone while he was in it? Robards was a fucking great actor and Kinski makes him look ordinary in comparison, Mick has no chance!

monkfromhavana

I have just found out that Hugh Fraser, the actor who plays Captain Hastings in Poirot was the co-writer of the theme tune to 'Rainbow'.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: monkfromhavana on April 12, 2019, 11:37:04 AM
I have just found out that Hugh Fraser, the actor who plays Captain Hastings in Poirot was the co-writer of the theme tune to 'Rainbow'.
It's worth listening to the full length version for the melancholic folky middle section (or whatever the correct music terminology is):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJsaujSs7Fw

a duncandisorderly

Phil_A

"Arthur's Theme", as performed by Christopher Cross for the soundtrack of the eponymous Dudley Moore comedy smash, was co-written by Burt Bacharach. Whaaaat

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Phil_A on April 17, 2019, 10:13:57 PM
"Arthur's Theme", as performed by Christopher Cross for the soundtrack of the eponymous Dudley Moore comedy smash, was co-written by Burt Bacharach. Whaaaat
Co-written with Bacharach and this then-wife, to be strictly accurate. Plus someone else you might not have heard of.

famethrowa

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on April 17, 2019, 11:21:45 PM
Co-written with Bacharach and this then-wife, to be strictly accurate. Plus someone else you might not have heard of.

The Rio-going, white-trousered Peter Allen, who contributed just one line to the song, something about the moon

Crabwalk

'Novocaine For the Soul' by eels was co-written by Mark Goldenburg, who also co-wrote 'Automatic' by The Pointer Sisters.

a duncandisorderly

the dave edmunds classic, "girl's talk", was written by elvis costello & he gave it to edmunds when he was drunk, regretting this later. he didn't like what edmunds & lowe did with it & re-recorded it himself later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7q5h3mZWC0

nowhere near as good. oaf.

& this one is even worser:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hniyMxwz__Q

The Culture Bunker

I'd known for years that Costello had written 'Girl's Talk', but never understood why he didn't dig what Rockpile did with it. Bloody awesome track, everything about it is class - I hope Nick Lowe called him a jumped-up little shite for that opinion.

Bennett Brauer

Edward James Olmos is a backing singer on Side 4 of Todd Rundgren's 'Something/Anything?'.

buzby

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on May 09, 2019, 11:02:18 PM
I'd known for years that Costello had written 'Girl's Talk', but never understood why he didn't dig what Rockpile did with it. Bloody awesome track, everything about it is class - I hope Nick Lowe called him a jumped-up little shite for that opinion.
I remember reading somehwere that Costello's ire at Edmunds' version was probably down to him changing the lyrics, adding an extra line to the second verse to make it scan the same as the others. Costello's versions use his original lyrics and miss that line out.

On a tangential note, Edmunds had another cover of an unreleased song on the B-side of the Girl Talk single, 'Bad Is Bad', written by Huey Lewis and other members of Clover, who split before they got to record it. They had moved to the UK in 1976, were part of the same scene as Edmunds and Costello, and some of the bandmembers played as Costello's backing band for the My Aim Is True sessions. Thin Lizzy had also covered the song in 1977-78 but had not released it (Lewis had played harmonica on a number of their songs in that period and was a good friend of Phil Lynott, and Clover had been a support act for Thin Lizzy's tours when the moved to the UK).

Lewis eventually recorded it with The News for the 'Sports' album in 1983.

daf

Quote from: buzby on May 10, 2019, 01:19:59 PM
I remember reading somehwere that Costello's ire at Edmunds' version was probably down to him changing the lyrics, adding an extra line to the second verse to make it scan the same as the others. Costello's versions use his original lyrics and miss that line out.

I mentioned this business in the Michael Jackson thread :
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
QuoteGirls Talk by Elvis Costello has a funny bit with the structure - it's actually a line short - throwing the whole lot out of whack!

I'll let Dave Edmunds take up the story :

QuoteAs I recall, I recorded the first version of Girls talk. Costello gave me a very rough cassette with just acoustic and vocal. It was twice the speed of my version...really had to work at it, and I put some Don Everly type acoustic gtr bits in it. Costello recorded his version some time later

Nick Lowe and I added the line "More or less situation..." because Costello's version was a line short, making the verse asymmetric. I pointed this out to him but he gruffly replied that "that's the way I wrote it.: He's made it quite plain that he doesn't like my version, which I find inconceivable

Costello's Wonky Line Version (from around 35s - 40s)
Dave Edmunds Fixed Version (added line at 48s)
- - - - - - - - - - -
QuoteLet's look at the lyrics and chords :

verse 1
There are some things you can't cover up with lipstick and powder (line ends on a 'D')
I thought I heard you mention my name, can't you talk any louder? (ends on an 'E')

pre-chorus 1
Don't come any closer, don't come any nearer
My vision of you can't get any clearer
Oh, i just want to hear girls talk

verse 2
I got a loaded imagination being fired by girls talk (line ends on an 'E')

pre-chorus 2
But I can't say the words you want to hear
I suppose you're going to have to play it by ear
Right here and now

(Verse 3 reverts to the structure of verse 1 with the lines resolving first on D and then on E)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
* as there's no 'set up' line here ending in D - it sounds like he goes into pre-chorus 2 a line too soon.
Edmunds changes the note at the end of the 'loaded imagination' line from 'E' to 'D'  and adds a new line after it ending with 'E' **

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
** (technical note : as Edmunds changes the key, the two lines actually end in a C# and a G#)

. . . and with that, I killed the thread stone dead!

kngen

Maybe not hat-fuckable, but I was a wee bit surprised to find out that Edmunds played bass on Shake Some Action by the Flamin' Groovies. Fucking power-pop Zelig, that boy.

EDIT: And I can't find any evidence of this anywhere  Maybe I dreamt it.

There is, typically, some misogyny in the Costello version of Girls Talk (I mean, in the character he is playing in the song, not necessarily felt by him personally), which Edmunds manages to avoid in his delivery.

daf

Quote from: kngen on May 10, 2019, 01:56:36 PM
Maybe not hat-fuckable, but I was a wee bit surprised to find out that Edmunds played bass on Shake Some Action by the Flamin' Groovies.

Couldn't find confirmation for Edmunds handling the bass duties (though it's more than likely he did something - as he produced the track), but did find out that there's a couple of versions out there :

QuoteIn 2002, Norton Records issued Slow Death, a collection of Flamin' Groovies demos and odd tracks cut between 1971 and 1973 shortly after Roy Loney had left the band and when Chris Wilson (co-writer with Cryil Jordan of "Shake Some Action") had joined. The Groovies were in an oft-documented transitional stage in the early 1970s, between Loney-era roots rock and Jordan-envisioned 60s Brit pop. Idling and hustling for label support, they cut some tracks including, at Rockfield Studios in Wales in 1972 with Dave Edmunds producing, the album version of "Shake Some Action" and the classic "Slow Death," the latter of which was swiftly re-mixed and issued as a single a year later.

In Hollywood in the summer of 1973 the band recorded another version of "Shake Some Action," a demo that shadily wound its way among bootlegs and labels and licenses and ended up in my hands in the mid-80s. Over time, I've come to treasure this version, now neck-and-neck to my taste with the version recorded with Edmunds and released on the 1976 album of the same name.
http://www.nosuchthingaswas.com/2014/11/shake-some-action-vs-shake-some-action.html

recorded in 1972 / 1976 LP version
re-recorded 1973 demo / 1974 Capitol single version

famethrowa

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on May 10, 2019, 02:35:08 PM
There is, typically, some misogyny in the Costello version of Girls Talk (I mean, in the character he is playing in the song, not necessarily felt by him personally), which Edmunds manages to avoid in his delivery.

I thought of that too, it's kind of a bitchy song and having it sung by a sarcastic little oik might turn it nasty. Whereas having it sung by a genial teddy bear like Dave means it's just good bantz.

kngen

Quote from: daf on May 10, 2019, 02:42:30 PM
Couldn't find confirmation for Edmunds handling the bass duties (though it's more than likely he did something - as he produced the track), but did find out that there's a couple of versions out there :
http://www.nosuchthingaswas.com/2014/11/shake-some-action-vs-shake-some-action.html

recorded in 1972 / 1976 LP version
re-recorded 1973 demo / 1974 Capitol single version

Ah, that's great (the early version). You really can draw a throughline back to their California roots with that one. (Or I guess, you can see how Edmunds ditched their paisley pattern affectations in favour of a bit of pub-rock oomph in his production)