Author Topic: Musical 'F*** my Hat, I didn't know that!'  (Read 46155 times)

Re: Musical 'F*** my Hat, I didn't know that!'
« Reply #630 on: May 10, 2019, 06:26:59 PM »
On a tangential note, Edmunds had another cover of an unreleased song on the B-side of the Girl Talk single, 'Bad Is Bad', written by Huey Lewis and other members of Clover, who split before they got to record it. They had moved to the UK in 1976, were part of the same scene as Edmunds and Costello, and some of the bandmembers played as Costello's backing band for the My Aim Is True sessions. Thin Lizzy had also covered the song in 1977-78 but had not released it (Lewis had played harmonica on a number of their songs in that period and was a good friend of Phil Lynott, and Clover had been a support act for Thin Lizzy's tours when the moved to the UK).
I think Lewis played harmonica on Edmunds' version of 'Bad is Bad' - I remember this as a past girlfriend had a copy of the parent album, which also features the Graham Parker tune 'Crawling From the Wreckage', to mention another stalwart of the pub rock scene.

buzby

« Reply #631 on: May 10, 2019, 09:18:23 PM »
I think Lewis played harmonica on Edmunds' version of 'Bad is Bad' - I remember this as a past girlfriend had a copy of the parent album, which also features the Graham Parker tune 'Crawling From the Wreckage', to mention another stalwart of the pub rock scene.
Yes he did, credited as 'Hughie' Lewis. He also played harmonica on Born Fighter from Nick Lowe's contemporaneous Labour Of Lust album.

Oddly, on Edmunds' single and album the song was credited solely to Lewis, but on Sports it was credited as co-written by all the members of Clover.

« Reply #632 on: May 10, 2019, 09:18:46 PM »
This is great too

https://www.facebook.com/BBCArchive/videos/1973-nationwide-monmouthshire-sound-dave-edmunds/358255074772368/

oh, man- I was looking everywhere for that (i,e, yt, dailymotion, vimeo) for the tap thread. he's just so tufnel in that clip.

« Reply #633 on: May 10, 2019, 09:30:34 PM »
Oddly, on Edmunds' single and album the song was credited solely to Lewis, but on Sports it was credited as co-written by all the members of Clover.
Lucky for the lads it wasn't the other way round, in terms of the royalty cheques.

Jockice

• I really have red hair. And a **********.
« Reply #634 on: May 12, 2019, 09:10:32 AM »

I had the single version of that but didn't know until today it was a Graham Parker song. Around the same time I had a Parker single called Stupefaction, which I was convinced until recently had been a massive hit. But it wasn't.

(I was a bit too young for pub rock and probably for punk too - I turned 14 a few months before the end of the 70s, which. was when I finally convinced my folks to buy me a record player so I bought quite a few singles that probably weren't 'cool' but I liked anyway.)

« Reply #635 on: May 12, 2019, 10:37:35 PM »
as mentioned elsewhere, alexis korner & cozy powell on hot chocolate's 'brother louie'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTELjv4_7f0

« Reply #636 on: May 27, 2019, 10:53:56 PM »
this nonsense was co-written by dieter dirks, cosmic joker & engineer of the seminal tangerine dream album, 'zeit'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RABXTkH5vCE

« Reply #637 on: May 29, 2019, 07:22:32 PM »
The guy from my gym who looks like Malcolm Treece (former guitarist with The Wonder Stuff), IS actually Malcolm Treece (former guitarist with The Wonder Stuff).

He has also rejoined The Wonder Stuff.

« Reply #638 on: May 29, 2019, 08:26:06 PM »
The guy from my gym who looks like Malcolm Treece (former guitarist with The Wonder Stuff), IS actually Malcolm Treece (former guitarist with The Wonder Stuff).

really? because last I heard, he was very much part of eat mk3, with pete & tim & ange & jem. but that project has gone a bit quiet of late...

kidsick5000

• Gotta be groovy for the moovy
« Reply #639 on: May 29, 2019, 09:03:08 PM »

Middle-aged question. Are you going through that thing of realising the bands you followed, idolised (possbly) in the early 90s, are "suddenly" only a couple of years older than you

« Reply #640 on: June 15, 2019, 03:15:54 PM »
Pet Shop Boys done a film.

Guess what I'm going to watch tonight?

« Reply #641 on: June 15, 2019, 03:25:25 PM »
Middle-aged question. Are you going through that thing of realising the bands you followed, idolised (possbly) in the early 90s, are "suddenly" only a couple of years older than you

I'm 38 in a few months and I'm starting to see that everywhere. I think it's because when you're 15, 21 year olds seem like proper grown ups. I caught a bit of that Sara Cox show last Saturday (not that I idolise her but you know what I mean) and I thought, I wonder how old she is? Turns out she's only 6 years older than me. That doesn't compute, she's been an adult ever since I've been aware of her, she should be at least 15 years older than me. Fucks sake.

« Reply #642 on: June 15, 2019, 07:57:47 PM »
The intro and bass rhythm of "I'll Take You There" by the Staple Sisters are copied from "The Liquidator" by the Harry J All Stars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qsl4A9hZEto

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTn01jjEFfY