Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:31:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Musical 'F*** my Hat, I didn't know that!'

Started by Rocket Surgery, February 21, 2018, 08:37:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: buzby on May 10, 2019, 01:19:59 PMOn a tangential note, Edmunds had another cover of an unreleased song on the B-side of the Girl Talk single, 'Bad Is Bad', written by Huey Lewis and other members of Clover, who split before they got to record it. They had moved to the UK in 1976, were part of the same scene as Edmunds and Costello, and some of the bandmembers played as Costello's backing band for the My Aim Is True sessions. Thin Lizzy had also covered the song in 1977-78 but had not released it (Lewis had played harmonica on a number of their songs in that period and was a good friend of Phil Lynott, and Clover had been a support act for Thin Lizzy's tours when the moved to the UK).
I think Lewis played harmonica on Edmunds' version of 'Bad is Bad' - I remember this as a past girlfriend had a copy of the parent album, which also features the Graham Parker tune 'Crawling From the Wreckage', to mention another stalwart of the pub rock scene.

buzby

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on May 10, 2019, 06:26:59 PM
I think Lewis played harmonica on Edmunds' version of 'Bad is Bad' - I remember this as a past girlfriend had a copy of the parent album, which also features the Graham Parker tune 'Crawling From the Wreckage', to mention another stalwart of the pub rock scene.
Yes he did, credited as 'Hughie' Lewis. He also played harmonica on Born Fighter from Nick Lowe's contemporaneous Labour Of Lust album.

Oddly, on Edmunds' single and album the song was credited solely to Lewis, but on Sports it was credited as co-written by all the members of Clover.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: SteveDave on May 10, 2019, 02:01:58 PM
This is great too

https://www.facebook.com/BBCArchive/videos/1973-nationwide-monmouthshire-sound-dave-edmunds/358255074772368/

oh, man- I was looking everywhere for that (i,e, yt, dailymotion, vimeo) for the tap thread. he's just so tufnel in that clip.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: buzby on May 10, 2019, 09:18:23 PMOddly, on Edmunds' single and album the song was credited solely to Lewis, but on Sports it was credited as co-written by all the members of Clover.
Lucky for the lads it wasn't the other way round, in terms of the royalty cheques.

Jockice

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on May 10, 2019, 06:26:59 PM

I had the single version of that but didn't know until today it was a Graham Parker song. Around the same time I had a Parker single called Stupefaction, which I was convinced until recently had been a massive hit. But it wasn't.

(I was a bit too young for pub rock and probably for punk too - I turned 14 a few months before the end of the 70s, which. was when I finally convinced my folks to buy me a record player so I bought quite a few singles that probably weren't 'cool' but I liked anyway.)

a duncandisorderly

as mentioned elsewhere, alexis korner & cozy powell on hot chocolate's 'brother louie'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTELjv4_7f0

a duncandisorderly

this nonsense was co-written by dieter dirks, cosmic joker & engineer of the seminal tangerine dream album, 'zeit'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RABXTkH5vCE

DrGreggles

The guy from my gym who looks like Malcolm Treece (former guitarist with The Wonder Stuff), IS actually Malcolm Treece (former guitarist with The Wonder Stuff).

He has also rejoined The Wonder Stuff.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: DrGreggles on May 29, 2019, 07:22:32 PM
The guy from my gym who looks like Malcolm Treece (former guitarist with The Wonder Stuff), IS actually Malcolm Treece (former guitarist with The Wonder Stuff).

really? because last I heard, he was very much part of eat mk3, with pete & tim & ange & jem. but that project has gone a bit quiet of late...

kidsick5000

Quote from: DrGreggles on May 29, 2019, 07:22:32 PM

Middle-aged question. Are you going through that thing of realising the bands you followed, idolised (possbly) in the early 90s, are "suddenly" only a couple of years older than you

Sebastian Cobb

Pet Shop Boys done a film.

Guess what I'm going to watch tonight?

MidnightShambler

Quote from: kidsick5000 on May 29, 2019, 09:03:08 PM
Middle-aged question. Are you going through that thing of realising the bands you followed, idolised (possbly) in the early 90s, are "suddenly" only a couple of years older than you

I'm 38 in a few months and I'm starting to see that everywhere. I think it's because when you're 15, 21 year olds seem like proper grown ups. I caught a bit of that Sara Cox show last Saturday (not that I idolise her but you know what I mean) and I thought, I wonder how old she is? Turns out she's only 6 years older than me. That doesn't compute, she's been an adult ever since I've been aware of her, she should be at least 15 years older than me. Fucks sake.

The intro and bass rhythm of "I'll Take You There" by the Staple Sisters are copied from "The Liquidator" by the Harry J All Stars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qsl4A9hZEto

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTn01jjEFfY

lazarou

Matt Gray who wrote the soundtrack to the c64 game Last Ninja 2 was a founding member of Xenomania.

bollocks

had scorsese been able to make the last temptation of christ in 1983 as originally planned, ray davies was first in line to play judas

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: bollocks on August 12, 2019, 07:49:42 PM
had scorsese been able to make the last temptation of christ in 1983 as originally planned, ray davies was first in line to play judas
Struggling to think how he nearly got that gig, unless Marty was impressed with his turn in the 'Come Dancing' video that got a lot of MTV play around that time.

sevendaughters

i did not know that the guy who wrote Wild Thing is Jon Voigt's brother

Lordofthefiles

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on August 12, 2019, 08:04:10 PM
Struggling to think how he nearly got that gig, unless Marty was impressed with his turn in the 'Come Dancing' video that got a lot of MTV play around that time.

He might've seen this episode of Play for Today:

The Long Distance Piano Player.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2682C51D44026A3E

*I had to change my VPN to Holland to watch it mind.

holyzombiejesus

I saw him do a gig with Belle & Sebastian and Evie Sands. Everyone was pissed off because they just wanted to hear Evie do some girlgroup stuff backed by B&S but Chip took over and subjected us all to a load of hoary old ballads.

Pauline Walnuts

Or that moment you find out you're older than some of the people from bands from the late 90s you quite liked.

MiddleRabbit

Quote from: sevendaughters on August 12, 2019, 08:10:12 PM
i did not know that the guy who wrote Wild Thing is Jon Voigt's brother

I don't know why I put Chip Taylor and this chap together, but Jake Holmes, who wrote Dazed & Confused before Jimmy Page decided he'd written it, also wrote 'Gilette, the best a man can get'.

'Return of Django' by The Upsetters was originally the backing track of a Fats Domino cover by Neville Grant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv52VHHQDco

Icehaven

I'm 40 and have absolutely noticed that in the last couple of years! Not a musical thing but an ex Home and Away actor died last week, apparently aged 41. I remember him as being an adult on the show, and I didn't think I'd watched it since I was about 20 so I'd have thought he was way more than 1 year older than me.
I think it's something to do with a subconscious (but still ridiculous) notion I had in my twenties and thirties that anyone who had had much success in tough fields like showbiz, music, writing etc. must be older than me and couldn't possibly be younger. Once you get past about 35 though you can't kid yourself anymore,

DrGreggles

A lass I knew from 6th form connected with me on online recently.
I was most surprised when she celebrated her '39th' birthday last week, as we were both the same age when we did A Level maths and I'm now 44.
This must be why I passed and she didn't...

Fuck all to do with music though.

Jockice

Quote from: DrGreggles on August 25, 2019, 05:48:51 PM
A lass I knew from 6th form connected with me on online recently.
I was most surprised when she celebrated her '39th' birthday last week, as we were both the same age when we did A Level maths and I'm now 44.
This must be why I passed and she didn't...

Fuck all to do with music though.

A mate of mine went out with a certain TV presenter when they were teenagers. I know this is true because he's shown me pictures of them together. He said she was younger than him but not by much. They split up when he went away to university but not before she had given him a certain sexual experience for the first time. Totally legally he claims. Nowadays however she's almost five years younger than him.

Strange that. Nothing to do with music either though.

MiddleRabbit

^^

It does have something to do with music: Bob Dylan wrote a song about it.