Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:46:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Musical 'F*** my Hat, I didn't know that!'

Started by Rocket Surgery, February 21, 2018, 08:37:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

studpuppet

Dolly Parton wrote Jolene and I Will Always Love You on the SAME EVENING.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: icehaven on August 25, 2019, 05:37:25 PM
I'm 40 and have absolutely noticed that in the last couple of years! Not a musical thing but an ex Home and Away actor died last week, apparently aged 41. I remember him as being an adult on the show, and I didn't think I'd watched it since I was about 20 so I'd have thought he was way more than 1 year older than me.

Yeah I get that with soap characters and film characters. It's not just people a few years older either though, the surprise widens relative to their age and me I reckon. I was watching a new film with Penélope Cruz in it the other day I my wandered a bit and I thought 'she must be in her mid 50's now' turns out I was over a decade out and she's only 13 years older than me.

I could say the same about people like Jamie Theakston/Kirsten O'Brien, but you see less of them these days.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: MiddleRabbit on August 25, 2019, 08:01:21 PM
^^

It does have something to do with music: Bob Dylan wrote a song about it.

he calls it "my back hurts" these days though.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: studpuppet on August 30, 2019, 10:40:43 PM

Imagine writing something as good as Jolene and not taking the rest of the night off.

Jockice

Quote from: MiddleRabbit on August 25, 2019, 08:01:21 PM
^^

It does have something to do with music: Bob Dylan wrote a song about it.

Julia Bradbury Gave My Pal Tim A Blow Job isn't one of his best-known numbers though.

MiddleRabbit

Quote from: Jockice on August 31, 2019, 06:20:14 AM
Julia Bradbury Gave My Pal Tim A Blow Job isn't one of his best-known numbers though.

Forthcoming 'Bootleg Series' - vol. 69.

Sebastian Cobb

Crabwalk

For a while, Gorillaz's live rhythm section was made up of the ex-drummer and ex-bassist from Senseless Things.

Apparently Jamie Hewlett was a big fan of the early-90s grebo also-rans (as was I) and did the artwork for their early releases.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Crabwalk on September 02, 2019, 11:32:56 PM
For a while, Gorillaz's live rhythm section was made up of the ex-drummer and ex-bassist from Senseless Things.

Apparently Jamie Hewlett was a big fan of the early-90s grebo also-rans (as was I) and did the artwork for their early releases.

Definitely in line with the thread's brief.

I'm a big fan of their 'Postcard CV' album, which I've just realised must be 30 years old now...

momatt

That's amazing!
Got a reference?

Glyn

On a similar but, less commercially successful, theme. Thom Yorke apparently wrote Creep and Motion Picture Soundtrack on the same day but released them 8 years apart

rue the polywhirl

I watched the same Sky Arts Song by Song programme. She says she was in her 'godspace' when she laid the songs down so God should really be getting the full writing credit for those songs.

Quote from: rue the polywhirl on September 03, 2019, 09:27:50 AM
God should really be getting the full writing credit for those songs.

He needs to sort his publishing out, I heard he never got a cent from The Bible either.

The album 'Cloak and Dagger' by Lee Perry has a reworking of 'The Liquidator' which is even closer to the Staples Sisters arrangement of 'I'll Take You There' than the arrangement that the Staples Sisters purchased from Harry J:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwbb2iPbMXA

In other words:

The Liquidator inspires I'll Take You There which is then reworked again by Perry using the original organ player, Winston Wright.

momatt

DJ Bob Hoskins

The famous photo of Kurt Cobain's lifeless body laying in the outbuilding where died was taken from Peter Buck's back garden.

Excerpt from Mojo magazine:

I knew Cobain was friends with the members of R.E.M. and that Buck lived in Seattle at the time, but fuck my hat. I didn't know they were literally neighbours and had never heard about this grim bit of trivia.

Phil_A

"One More Kiss, Dear", the incredibly authentic thirties ballad pastiche on the Blade Runner soundtrack, was co-written by Vangelis and Peter Skellern??

George White

And Demis Roussos, doing a favour for his old Aphrodite's Child bandmate Vangelis, sang on the track Tales of the Future https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFktISM-Fhs 
Mary Hopkin contributed to the soundtrack. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaxEbG8WCkU

70s middle-of-the-road pop stars galore..

Cuellar

Quote from: DJ Bob Hoskins on September 03, 2019, 06:35:00 PM
The famous photo of Kurt Cobain's lifeless body laying in the outbuilding where died was taken from Peter Buck's back garden.

Excerpt from Mojo magazine:

I knew Cobain was friends with the members of R.E.M. and that Buck lived in Seattle at the time, but fuck my hat. I didn't know they were literally neighbours and had never heard about this grim bit of trivia.

'Someone' climbed up and took the photo yeah? Bet they did Peter.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Phil_A on September 03, 2019, 11:59:36 PM
"One More Kiss, Dear", the incredibly authentic thirties ballad pastiche on the Blade Runner soundtrack, was co-written by Vangelis and Peter Skellern??

that's nothing. this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-ChAhWezsg

& this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6DOGITIfAY

same lyricist, mr pete sinfield.

Tapiocahead

Quote from: DrGreggles on September 03, 2019, 12:11:21 AM
Definitely in line with the thread's brief.

I'm a big fan of their 'Postcard CV' album, which I've just realised must be 30 years old now...

The singer of Senseless Things was Morgan Nicholls, whose dad was/is cult mod guy Billy Nicholls of London Social Degree 'fame'

DrGreggles

Quote from: Tapiocahead on September 04, 2019, 02:45:06 PM
The singer of Senseless Things was Morgan Nicholls, whose dad was/is cult mod guy Billy Nicholls of London Social Degree 'fame'

I think Morgan played bass. Mark Keds was the singer.

DrGreggles

You're supposed to say "F*** my Hat, I didn't know that!"

MiddleRabbit

Quote from: Tapiocahead on September 04, 2019, 02:45:06 PM

Would You Believe?  Is a great album.  Should have called it 'Fuck My Hat...'. though

Phil_A

Quote from: George White on September 04, 2019, 10:02:48 AM
And Demis Roussos, doing a favour for his old Aphrodite's Child bandmate Vangelis, sang on the track Tales of the Future https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFktISM-Fhs 
Mary Hopkin contributed to the soundtrack. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaxEbG8WCkU

70s middle-of-the-road pop stars galore..

I knew about Roussos and Hopkin but Skellern came right out of the blue.

25 years being a fan of Blade Runner and that bit of trivia completely passed me by.

Years before Oasis shamelessly pilfered British music of the past with cocksure swagger, The Jam did that.

DJ Bob Hoskins

Quote from: Cuellar on September 04, 2019, 10:08:31 AM
'Someone' climbed up and took the photo yeah? Bet they did Peter.

Heh. Now that you mention it: a few months after these events, R.E.M. released a song called Bang and Blame. Hmmm.

smudge1971

Quote from: DrGreggles on September 04, 2019, 02:48:48 PM
I think Morgan played bass. Mark Keds was the singer.
Google 'Mark Keds and Pete Doherty' to see the full devastation wreaked by the old smack heroin. Sad, he was a good-looking talented kid.