Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:05:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Musical 'F*** my Hat, I didn't know that!'

Started by Rocket Surgery, February 21, 2018, 08:37:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

famethrowa

Quote from: smudge1971 on September 04, 2019, 09:02:13 PM
Google 'Mark Keds and Pete Doherty' to see the full devastation wreaked by the old smack heroin. Sad, he was a good-looking talented kid.

more like deadcunts amirite

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: smudge1971 on September 04, 2019, 09:02:13 PM
Google 'Mark Keds and Pete Doherty' to see the full devastation wreaked by the old smack heroin. Sad, he was a good-looking talented kid.

Google Mark Blanco and Pete Doherty to see the full devastation wreaked by [redacted].

buzby

Quote from: George White on September 04, 2019, 10:02:48 AM
And Demis Roussos, doing a favour for his old Aphrodite's Child bandmate Vangelis, sang on the track Tales of the Future https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFktISM-Fhs 
Roussos also contributed vocals for another track for the film, though it has never been officially released:
Taffey Lewis' Night Club
He was also suppsed to sing One More Kiss, Dear (which was commissioned to replace If I Didn't Care by The Ink Spots, which was used on the temp music track of the Workprint), but Vangelis and Scott liked the 1930s feel of Don Percival's (veteran of the London jazz scene and by 1980 also the ex-head of Philips' Music, TV and Film division) guide vocal on the demo and decided to keep it.

Percival had also played bass in Basil Kirchin's band when Blake Edwards asked them to appear in the Pink Panther film A Shot In The Dark.

Wiki claims that Walk On By by Dionne Warwick was recorded 22.11.63, the same day Kennedy was shot.

kalowski

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on September 12, 2019, 04:20:41 PM
Wiki claims that Walk On By by Dionne Warwick was recorded 22.11.63, the same day Kennedy was shot.
Makes sense. I've always suspected she was involved. This is "hiding in plain sight".
"Walk on by" the grassy knoll and get your gun out...

non capisco

The CIA felt he had to die on 22nd November 63 because he was considering agency cuts and dialling back on aggressive Cold War policies, as the failure of Bay Of Pigs had got on his wick.

It's incredible that they were so brazen.

kalowski

Quote from: non capisco on September 12, 2019, 09:52:30 PM
The CIA felt he had to die on 22nd November 63 because he was considering agency cuts and dialling back on aggressive Cold War policies, as the failure of Bay Of Pigs had got on his wick.

It's incredible that they were so brazen.
Delightful stuff that just made me burst out laughing in the front room.

Sebastian Cobb

Three Feet High and Rising isn't available to buy or stream on modern formats because of sample clearance issues. Once the physical copies are gone out won't be reissued. Mad given 'the kids' still like digging into old hiphop this will be effectively deleted from their history.

https://www.okayplayer.com/music/breakdown-de-la-soul-fight-tommy-boy-records-3-feet-high-rising.html/amp

phantom_power

It seems from that article the problem isn't so much the sample clearance as the split of profit, Tommy Boy wanting 90%. The samples are still an issue but Tommy Boy have said they would deal with them as they came, which is possibly the reason for the uneven split

Famous Mortimer

Didn't De La Soul put all their material out in a pay-what-you-want deal a few years ago?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on September 13, 2019, 05:39:03 PM
Didn't De La Soul put all their material out in a pay-what-you-want deal a few years ago?

They gave it away if you signed up to their mailing list but I think it was a very limited time window, which serves no useful purpose to future generations discovering them, which you might think is inconsequential, but hiphop appears to be one of the bigger genres younger people seem to research the history of.

Jockice

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on September 12, 2019, 04:20:41 PM

That's nothing mate. I found out this week that the first British punk single, New Rose by The Damned, was recorded on my 11th birthday!

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 13, 2019, 06:51:40 PM
They gave it away if you signed up to their mailing list but I think it was a very limited time window, which serves no useful purpose to future generations discovering them, which you might think is inconsequential, but hiphop appears to be one of the bigger genres younger people seem to research the history of.

I joined & downloaded it all, on the basis of having quite liked them back in the late 80s (saw them live). for a year or so after this 'window' I was getting daily emails pimping other stuff that I didn't want.
it's stopped.

if anyone really wants their entire back catalogue (as MP3), you now know of someone who's got it.

Elton John and Ringo Starr play on "Children Of The Revolution" by T Rex.

popcorn

I have only just realised, via reading a quote from Mark Knopfler, that when the narrator in Money for Nothing says "that ain't working" he means "that isn't work", not "that isn't doing what it's meant to do".

Quote from: popcorn on September 18, 2019, 02:00:38 AM
I have only just realised, via reading a quote from Mark Knopfler, that when the narrator in Money for Nothing says "that ain't working" he means "that isn't work", not "that isn't doing what it's meant to do".

This is the revelation of the thread for me. Consider my hat well and truly fucked and sodomised too.

boki

Things I have learned from YouTube:

1. The song Party All The Time was an 80s pop song before inevitably getting the House act cover treatment a few years ago (an ad for a GTA game made me realise this).

2. Thanks to Todd In The Shadows doing a One Hit Wonderland episode on it, I now know that said original was sung by Eddie Murphy.  The Eddie Murphy.

Crabwalk

Apparently 'The Weeknd' is the name of a bloke, not a band.

'Police and Thieves' by Junior Murvin was produced by Lee Perry at the Black Ark. Seems obvious now from the echo on it but I had never made the connection.

Head Gardener

poodlefaker

Joan Jett and Nick Cave have the same birthday (last Sunday), but Nick Cave is OLDER than JJ. She was 16 when the Runaways formed.

popcorn

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on September 19, 2019, 04:06:51 PM
This is the revelation of the thread for me. Consider my hat well and truly fucked and sodomised too.

Pleased to hear this fucked someone else's hat, and not just mine. I was beginning to think my hat was a dunce hat.

I told this to my parents and my dad said he'd always interpreted it the correct way but my mum was astonished.

NJ Uncut

Quote from: Crabwalk on September 21, 2019, 10:03:19 AM

Portugal. The Man's a band too!

Wouldn't say it was a massive surprise but I enjoy the name for the potential confusion

Icehaven

Quote from: Crabwalk on September 21, 2019, 10:03:19 AM

You're going to have no hat left once you hear about Christine and the Queens!

Norton Canes

The Culture Bunker

boki

https://brianblessedthebandnotthebloke.bandcamp.com/

And, of course, Alice Cooper started as a band name, albeit fronted by Alice Cooper.

Famous Mortimer

George White