Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,475
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 03:39:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Musical 'F*** my Hat, I didn't know that!'

Started by Rocket Surgery, February 21, 2018, 08:37:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jockice

Quote from: boki on September 27, 2019, 12:30:16 PM
https://brianblessedthebandnotthebloke.bandcamp.com/

And, of course, Alice Cooper started as a band name, albeit fronted by Alice Cooper.

Rick Witter out of Shed Seven's granny was called Alice Cooper. Apparently. I didn't know her.

New page preposterous tales, now then now then.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: popcorn on September 18, 2019, 02:00:38 AM
I have only just realised, via reading a quote from Mark Knopfler, that when the narrator in Money for Nothing says "that ain't working" he means "that isn't work", not "that isn't doing what it's meant to do".

I always heard it the intended way, because of the note of derision in knopfler's voice, perhaps more apparent if you watch the video a few times which, as an Mtv employee, I did.
but the peculiar thing about the song, for me, is that anybody would have a job 'installing' things that basically just sit there & get plugged in (i.e. somewhat less 'installation' than a gas-cooker or a washing machine or whatever), & be complaining about the effort involved whilst invoking knopfler's guitar playing- whether or not it's part of a cushy rock'n'roll lifestyle- as somehow not-work.
"maybe get a blister on your little finger"? no. thousands of hours of practice, loads of theoretical knowledge & a permanent channel open to some high-level muse, whose utterings you have to turn into platinum selling discs. no, that's work. what knopfler does is hard.

erm... so what the fuck was he on about when he wrote the song? irony? had he heard some roadie bitching, & this was his response? buzby'll be along in a minute with the answer.

Marilyn Manson was originally a band, fronted by Marilyn Manson.

jenna appleseed

jenna appleseed

Quote from: thecuriousorange on September 28, 2019, 06:59:18 AM
Marilyn Manson was originally a band, fronted by Marilyn Manson.

Wait til you find out about Alice Cooper.

Wailers rape allegations:

QuoteRita's is the voice we'd like to hear more of. In one incredibly painful story, Wailers singer Beverley Kelso describes witnessing Tosh raping the future Rita Marley. Kelso didn't tell the story to anyone until she spoke with Steffens in 2003. (In her own memoir, Rita Marley would write that Bob Marley also forced himself on her.)

https://www.thecurrent.org/feature/2018/11/06/bob-marley-so-much-things-to-say

jenna appleseed

buzby

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on September 28, 2019, 01:34:20 AM
erm... so what the fuck was he on about when he wrote the song? irony? had he heard some roadie bitching, & this was his response? buzby'll be along in a minute with the answer.
It was based on actual comments from a delivery man Knopfler overheard in a New York electrical store. There was a bank of TVs tuned to MTV at the back of the store, and the delivery man was stood watching making disparaging comments about the bands in the videos. Knopfler asked the person at the till for a pen and paper so he could write them down, and wrote the song around them. He even based his guitar tone on Billy Gibbons, as ZZ Top were MTV staples at the time.

Artie Fufkin

Tell me why.
I don't like Mondays.

NOT

Tell me why I don't like Mondays.

stranger

Alison "Where Love Lives" Limerick sang on the Blackadder the Third closing theme song

Three brothers can form a band in their living room without it really being a band that does gigs and tries to get recording contracts

pupshaw

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on November 08, 2019, 12:54:04 PM
Three brothers can form a band in their living room without it really being a band that does gigs and tries to get recording contracts

Out of the living room...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQrvo50eTrg

a duncandisorderly

the small child speaking at the end of 'america' by the nice is PP Arnold's young 'un, aged three.

still on the nice, the suggestion for them to adapt sibelius' 'karelia suite' came from roy harper.

& I thought I knew a bit about this band. hat & a half fucked there.

pupshaw

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on November 09, 2019, 10:28:29 AM
the small child speaking at the end of 'america' by the nice is PP Arnold's young 'un, aged three.

still on the nice, the suggestion for them to adapt sibelius' 'karelia suite' came from roy harper.

& I thought I knew a bit about this band. hat & a half fucked there.

Possibly same sprog here https://youtu.be/ZJcqE-xiy_s?t=129 in "Daddy Where Did I Come From"

Not quite deep into hat violation there though

DrGreggles

30 years ago today about 2000 Berliners were first informed that the wall had come down by Mike Patton during a FNM gig.

NJ Uncut

Nick Miniski is Edgar Summertyme's nephew!

Twed

The harmonics at the beginning of Birdland are bass, not guitar (as demonstrated by this child)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WW3fcR_QUiI

momatt

Quote from: Twed on November 14, 2019, 07:15:18 PM
The harmonics at the beginning of Birdland are bass, not guitar (as demonstrated by this child)

I don't know loads about bass playing, but I know Weather Report's Jaco Pastorius is a genius and pioneered that sort of thing.
Check out his first solo album if you like that stuff, it's amazing!  Especially Portrait of Tracy, loads of lovely bass harmonics.
https://open.spotify.com/album/47nWcb5GzhgGNzJuCJgiPN

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on September 17, 2019, 11:45:42 AM
Elton John and Ringo Starr play on "Children Of The Revolution" by T Rex.

They certainly played on the version featured in the Born to Boogie film, but I don't think they were involved with the recording Bolan released as a single. There's no piano on it, for a start.

buzby

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on November 15, 2019, 09:23:51 AM
They certainly played on the version featured in the Born to Boogie film, but I don't think they were involved with the recording Bolan released as a single. There's no piano on it, for a start.
Yes, the single version of Children Of The Revolution was recorded during the sessions for the Tanx album at AIR Studios in August 1972 with the T.Rex's regular drummer Bill Legend, and as you say no piano. It was released in September.

The version from Born To Boogie featuring Elton and Ringo was recorded at Ascot Sound Studios (the studio in Lennon's Tittenhurst mansion) on the 21st of March 1972 (a couple of days after the Wembley concert) for the film soundtrack (the film was not released until December 1972, so a few months after the single). The Ascot Studios version was unreleased until the 2005 2-CD expanded editon of the soundtrack album (it was not included on the original release in 1991, presumably due to rights issues)

There was also a 12-minute jam version recorded at Rosenberg Studios in Copenhagen at the end of March 1972 during the sessions for The Slider that was eventually released as a bonus track on the Bump & Grind collection of demos and works in progress in 2000.

Elton had also previously appeared with T.Rex on the 1971 Christmas TOTP, miming to Blue Weaver and Rick Wakeman's piano parts on Get It On.

SteveDave

Quote from: buzby on November 15, 2019, 10:21:23 AM
Elton had also previously appeared with T.Rex on the 1971 Christmas TOTP, miming to Blue Weaver and Rick Wakeman's piano parts on Get It On.

This is my favourite TOTP clip because of the two old boys in denim who appear in the background for one shot grooving like nobody's business.

I used to think that Pete Townsend's daughter wrote Adrian Mole.

Quote from: thecuriousorange on November 15, 2019, 02:25:29 PM
I used to think that Pete Townsend's daughter wrote Adrian Mole.

Easily confused, she was just researching Norwegian leather exports for a future book.

the

Quote from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Injected_with_a_Poison#MusicThe vocals "Injected with a Poison" where sampled from televangelist Robert Schambach.[4]

I've spent the last 25+ years thinking that the voice on Injected With A Poison was Patrick Allen :)

phantom_power

Silver by The Pixies was originally a Breeders song, at least according to the demos that I am currently listening to

Lordofthefiles