Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:22:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Musical 'F*** my Hat, I didn't know that!'

Started by Rocket Surgery, February 21, 2018, 08:37:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

All Surrogate

Quote from: the on December 06, 2019, 10:36:16 AM
I've spent the last 25+ years thinking that the voice on Injected With A Poison was Patrick Allen :)

I've not heard Injected with a Poison before; now I know that Cockwolves by Kids On TV was ripping it off.

jobotic

Quote from: SteveDave on November 15, 2019, 01:31:10 PM
This is my favourite TOTP clip because of the two old boys in denim who appear in the background for one shot grooving like nobody's business.

The chaps at 1:54?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-v9kw-rCmWg

jamiefairlie

Probably only mid 20s given how prematurely middle aged everyone looked in the 70s

Icehaven

The US has a totally separate version of the Now! compilation series that's way behind the UK one (theirs started in 1998 and they're only up to 60, whereas ours started in 1983 and we're up to 104).

Dewt

Kirsty MacColl's dad wrote Dirty Old Town.

Pseudopath

Quote from: Dewt on December 18, 2019, 09:02:33 PM

As well as The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face

The Culture Bunker

A lot of people I've known seem very surprised to know it's not an Irish song and was written about Salford, but the Pogues did do the famous version.

Jockice

I can't think of a new one so I'll just repeat my favourite strange pop fact. Which is that unbearable 70s child star/later sad psychological case Lena Zavaroni was signed to Stax Records in America.

George White

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on December 18, 2019, 10:40:38 PM
A lot of people I've known seem very surprised to know it's not an Irish song and was written about Salford, but the Pogues did do the famous version.
The Dubliners before that.
A similar case is Whiskey on a Sunday, also covered by the Dubliners, but the most famous version in Ireland being by Danny Doyle, which is actually about a real-life figure, Seth Davey of Liverpool, but the Irish versions change the setting to Dublin via changing Bevington Bush to Beggar's Bush.

George White

Quote from: Jockice on December 19, 2019, 05:14:59 AM
I can't think of a new one so I'll just repeat my favourite strange pop fact. Which is that unbearable 70s child star/later sad psychological case Lena Zavaroni was signed to Stax Records in America.
Similarly, Albert Finney released an album on Motown. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuwXH_1CaRU

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: George White on December 19, 2019, 08:46:41 AM
Similarly, Albert Finney released an album on Motown. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuwXH_1CaRU
Jack Soo, who played Nick Yemana in 'Barney Miller', was also briefly signed to Motown, though I'm not sure they released anything.

studpuppet

Discovered that BA Cunterson's lyric is 'Bang Bang, the mighty fall' rather than 'Bang Bang, the mightiful' like I thought, and is the reason that John Peel always called The Fall 'The Mighty Fall'.

Quote from: studpuppet on December 28, 2019, 08:43:16 PM
Discovered that BA Cunterson's lyric is 'Bang Bang, the mighty fall' rather than 'Bang Bang, the mightiful' like I thought, and is the reason that John Peel always called The Fall 'The Mighty Fall'.

MES quotes the song in the intro to 'Fiery Jack' on the 'Totale's Turns' live album

Bang Fuckin' Bang, The Mighty Fall

Jockice

Gerard Kenny, of New York New York (So Good They Named It Twice And Which Is Infinitely Better Than The Sinatra Song Of The Same Title) fame also wrote the Minder theme tune.

Rizla

Quote from: Jockice on January 06, 2020, 02:06:49 PM
Gerard Kenny, of New York New York (So Good They Named It Twice And Which Is Infinitely Better Than The Sinatra Song Of The Same Title) fame also wrote the Minder theme tune.

He also wrote the opening theme for the 1986 Commonwealth Games - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luzO1mL6x7o

buzby

Quote from: Jockice on January 06, 2020, 02:06:49 PM
Gerard Kenny, of New York New York (So Good They Named It Twice And Which Is Infinitely Better Than The Sinatra Song Of The Same Title) fame also co-wrote the Minder theme tune.
FTFY
It was co-written by Kenny and Patricia Waterman (nee Maynard), Dennis Waterman's then-wife (who was also an actress, and kept her maiden name as her stage name). The song was credited on the show's end titles and the single's label as 'Waterman-Kenny', leading many people to think Dennis had a hand in writing it. This obviously renders an entire series of Little Britain sketches redundant.

Jockice

Thanks Buzby. I can always rely on you to know more than me.

Glebe

Mentioned it before in other thread but Ph.D. keyboardist Tony Hymas wrote the Mr. Men theme.

Trawling through the thread, a post about David Niven attending an early Can show truly f***ed my hat (I'm not au fait with Can's music tbh, but I'm aware of them and the idea of Niven being in attendance is akin to Richard Burton going to a Sonic Youth gig or summit)... anyway it brought to mind Alice Cooper's friendship with Groucho, apparently Grouch used to bring old showbiz pals to Cooper's shows to freak them out and that... I think he felt a connection because he related Cooper's theatricality to old vaudeville.

Norton Canes

The Drifters' "Up On The Roof" has never charted in the UK but Kenny Lynch had a Top 10 hit with it and Robson & Jerome took it to No. 1. From the "record buyers are cunts" file.

kidsick5000

That has done terrible things to my hat.

kngen

Quote from: poodlefaker on September 25, 2019, 11:27:32 AM
Joan Jett and Nick Cave have the same birthday (last Sunday), but Nick Cave is OLDER than JJ. She was 16 when the Runaways formed.

Also my birthday. An attractive young lady ID'd me at a gig at the semi-famous Middle East in Cambridge, Massachusetts - and said 'Oh wow, you have the same birthday as me!' And I said, 'Then you have the same birthday as Joan Jett and Nick Cave,' which she was extremely chuffed about - not chuffed enough to sleep with me. But then I don't look like either of them. However, I'd like to think I'm slightly more attractive than Fat Ronaldo the Brazilian Fascist Sympathiser, who also shares the same birthday. But I doubt she'd heard of him - and it's not really a great pick-up line, either.

Johnboy

My copies of Tommy and Music In the Key of Life which have side 1 and 4 on one record and side 2 and 3 on the second record aren't mispressings - they are designed for that automatic record falling onto deck one after the other thingy what you used to get in the old days. Imagine that - sitting still for 43 minutes.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Johnboy on January 30, 2020, 02:31:11 PM
My copies of Tommy and Music In the Key of Life which have side 1 and 4 on one record and side 2 and 3 on the second record aren't mispressings - they are designed for that automatic record falling onto deck one after the other thingy what you used to get in the old days. Imagine that - sitting still for 43 minutes.

I think... I think, that was quite a common thing in those days.

phantom_power

Yeah, my SITKOL and The Secret Life of Plants both have that side 1&4, 2&3 thing.

lebowskibukowski

The Carpenters "It's Only Just Begun" was co-written by Little Enos Burdette from Smokey & The Bandit.
Although it seems every fucker from those films was some sort of Country & Western style singer so my hat may only be half-fucked.

gilbertharding

Quote from: phantom_power on January 30, 2020, 04:24:11 PM
Yeah, my SITKOL and The Secret Life of Plants both have that side 1&4, 2&3 thing.

I was going to say something about not really knowing for certain what order the sides of the White Album or Electric Ladyland were supposed to be played until I bought them on CD (though the White Album does have quite a clear tracklisting, to be fair...).

Mind you, until recently I was similarly 'confused' about which side of Abbey Road was supposed to be played first. Starts with Come Together, right? And, of course - 'The End' is at the end, which would be a clue for most people...

Pseudopath

Quote from: gilbertharding on January 31, 2020, 05:18:35 PM
Mind you, until recently I was similarly 'confused' about which side of Abbey Road was supposed to be played first. Starts with Come Together, right? And, of course - 'The End' is at the end, which would be a clue for most people...

**QI Klaxon**

"Her Majesty" is the final track on Abbey Road. Although fuck knows why.

gilbertharding

Well, obviously. But that wouldn't be as much of a clue about which was the b side.

Thanks anyway ;)

Oh - and the answer to 'why' would seem to be because Paul 'Macca' McCartney, for all his many good points, seems unable to resist undercutting anything he does with an annoying jocularity.