Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,467
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:50:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Musical 'F*** my Hat, I didn't know that!'

Started by Rocket Surgery, February 21, 2018, 08:37:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on February 21, 2018, 09:56:18 PM
I knew Joe Satriani was Steve Vai and Kirk Hammet's guitar teacher but I hat fuckingly didn't know he also taught Primus' Larry LaLonde.

Related note (note lol) Gilmour was Barrett's guitar teacher. Not really an obscure fact but y'know.

Quote from: Stuart Macconie in Q magazineThe idea was part culture clash,part social service. Get Joe Satriani (Fleet fingered fretmeister,AOR stadium filler and guitar teacher) to show Ozric Tentacles (kings of progressive crustie) a few
metacarpal-straining licks. Imagine our suprise,then,when they get on famously and trade
effortless arpeggios.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

The heartbreak and anguish expressed in I Wish It Would Rain by The Temptations is genuine. The lyrics were written by Motown staffer Rodger Penzabene, who'd just found out that his beloved wife had been cheating on him.

A week after the single was released, Penzabene killed himself. He was 23.

studpuppet

Quote from: poodlefaker on February 21, 2018, 09:58:58 AM
Herbie Flowers played bass on Serge Gainsbourg's Melody Nelson and Lou Reed's Transformer, and also wrote "Grandad" for Clive Dunn.

But not necessarily Melody Nelson: jury's still out and I think the only evidence is a grainy, dark photo with the bassist in the background and he's unidentifiable. Dave Richmond says it's him, but it seems none of the possible suspects actually remembers playing on it.

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/who-really-is-the-bassist-on-histoire-de-melody-nelson.1326990/

phantom_power

Not sure how much this fits into this thread but I was amazed when I found out that REM's only top 40 prior to Losing My Religion was Orange Crush.

Kane Jones

Quote from: phantom_power on February 22, 2018, 02:00:13 PM
Not sure how much this fits into this thread but I was amazed when I found out that REM's only top 40 prior to Losing My Religion was Orange Crush.

Orange Crush and Stand were the first songs I ever heard by them (I would've been 13 at the time), so it doesn't really surprise me.

Sebastian Cobb

I've always liked funk and soul but it was only a few years ago that I really started actively paying attention to it. Anyway, the Muscle Shoals documentary on Netflix was pretty much 110 minutes of hat fucking.

poodlefaker

One of Whitney Houston's first recordings was a version of Soft Machine's "Memories", with Archie Shepp. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xj4xGiXfW0

phantom_power

Quote from: Kane Jones on February 22, 2018, 02:02:52 PM
Orange Crush and Stand were the first songs I ever heard by them (I would've been 13 at the time), so it doesn't really surprise me.

But of all their previous songs I would have thought The One I Love, or It's The End of the World... or Stand would be the ones to crack the 40, not Orange Crush. And I would have thought all of those would have been in there

Kane Jones

Quote from: phantom_power on February 22, 2018, 03:21:19 PM
But of all their previous songs I would have thought The One I Love, or It's The End of the World... or Stand would be the ones to crack the 40, not Orange Crush. And I would have thought all of those would have been in there

Both the ones in bold did get into the UK Top 40, but not until 1991. I guess the UK pop charts just weren't ready for them before 1988.

Funnily enough, Orange Crush is one of my favourite R.E.M. songs. Probably because it was one of the first ones I heard.

itsfredtitmus

Most people don't know that Flying off The Beatles' Magical Mystery Tour is a cover of an old American surf-era library tune

Desirable Industrial Unit

Quote from: Kane Jones on February 22, 2018, 03:42:34 PM
Both the ones in bold did get into the UK Top 40, but not until 1991. I guess the UK pop charts just weren't ready for them before 1988.

First album for a major label and all that.  It's not like they were completely unknown in the UK before 'Green', but they were filed under indie and got jack shit airplay.

phantom_power

Quote from: Kane Jones on February 22, 2018, 03:42:34 PM

Funnily enough, Orange Crush is one of my favourite R.E.M. songs. Probably because it was one of the first ones I heard.

Oh I love it too. I just didn't think it would be their most popular song of the pre-Out of Time era

Jockice

I knew this but did you? The Human League's Love Action is actually two different songs spliced together. The chorus is from a number about watching Sylvia Kristel in Emmanuelle and has nothing to do with the rest of the lyrics.

Golden E. Pump

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on February 21, 2018, 05:54:21 PM
A fact that I continue to remind Golden E Pump of to which he always replies "Yes mate I know that" and I laugh but he doesn't.

Confirmed.

Desirable Industrial Unit

A pretty well-known one for most, probably, but I saw the atrocious mid-80s Clive Barker film 'Underworld' for the first time a few weeks back, complete with its synth soundtrack by 'Fleur'.  They would go on to become the Trainspotting lager merchants, taking their name from the film.

Psmith

The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy theme  is an Eagles tune called  Journey of the Sorcerer.

famethrowa

Quote from: Psmith on February 24, 2018, 01:08:48 AM
The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy theme  is an Eagles tune called  Journey of the Sorcerer.

That is one of the greatest hat-fuckers of all time for me, you have this laid-back LA vinyl with Lyin Eyes and Take It To The Limit, and here's Arthur Dent and Vogons right in the middle of it?

Twed

Quote from: Desirable Industrial Unit on February 24, 2018, 12:52:29 AM
A pretty well-known one for most, probably, but I saw the atrocious mid-80s Clive Barker film 'Underworld' for the first time a few weeks back, complete with its synth soundtrack by 'Fleur'.  They would go on to become the Trainspotting lager merchants, taking their name from the film.
I'm surprised that Underworld are so old, and that they ever looked like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAnwhSWDXWQ

lazyhour

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on February 22, 2018, 06:53:09 PM
Most people don't know that Flying off The Beatles' Magical Mystery Tour is a cover of an old American surf-era library tune

Source?

kidsick5000

Serge

Ha! Indeed. "It was great, but I didn't know it was music."

I'm really looking forward to Rob Young's CAN book.

daf

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on February 22, 2018, 06:53:09 PM

According to Paul :
QuoteFlying was an instrumental that we needed for Magical Mystery Tour so in the studio one night I suggested to the guys that we made something up. I said, 'We can keep it very very simple, we can make it a twelve-bar blues. We need a little bit of a theme and a little bit of a backing.' I wrote the melody. The only thing to warrant it as a song is basically the melody, otherwise it's just a nice twelve-bar backing thing. It's played on the Mellotron, on a trombone setting. It's credited to all four, which is how you would credit a non-song.
https://www.beatlesbible.com/songs/flying/

Not impossible an that an old tune would emerge unconsciously while 'jamming' I suppose.

This would be a pretty big scoop if true - some hairy surfer may have just won the lottery in back royalties!

Any idea of the name - I'm not having any luck searching for it on youtube.

Oops! Wrong Planet

I'd assumed ItsFred was making a joke that I didn't get, which is why I decided not to query that.

Oops! Wrong Planet

Alec '#NotYouToo' Baldwin is a fan of Tales from Topographic Oceans and 1970s-era Yes. He interviews Jon Anderson here: https://www.wnycstudios.org/story/jon-anderson-musical-adventure-isnt-over/

Jon Anderson was Ari Up's godfather.

kidsick5000

Quote from: Oops! Wrong Planet on February 24, 2018, 12:31:26 PM
Alec '#NotYouToo' Baldwin is a fan of Tales from Topographic Oceans and 1970s-era Yes. He interviews Jon Anderson here: https://www.wnycstudios.org/story/jon-anderson-musical-adventure-isnt-over/

Jon Anderson was Ari Up's godfather.

And John Lydon was Ari Up's step-father

Jockice

Quote from: kidsick5000 on February 24, 2018, 12:59:33 PM

Harry Enfield was Lily Allen's step-father for a few years. Her real dad was a nonentity.

kalowski

Quote from: (Ex poster) on February 22, 2018, 09:31:40 AM
Frank Beard, the drummer from ZZ Top, is the only member of the band to lose his virginity.
Probably because he's the only one without a beard.

Fabian Thomsett

Quote from: kidsick5000 on February 24, 2018, 12:59:33 PM

More than that - Lydon and his wife helped bring up her kids. Apparently Ari Up chucked them out when they were in their early teens.

pupshaw

John Lydon and is wife were booked on that PanAm flight that went bang. They missed the flight though, apparently.

Rizla