Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 08:58:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Musical 'F*** my Hat, I didn't know that!'

Started by Rocket Surgery, February 21, 2018, 08:37:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: buzby on June 08, 2020, 11:41:47 AM
Alongside Bill Drummond and Budgie. Clive Langer was also a member before Holly joined, and Holly's role on bass was eventually taken over by David Balfe.
Yes. Meant to mention Budgie. Wowzer! A supergroup that people left to be super.

Captain Z

Quote from: Better Midlands on May 28, 2020, 04:52:51 PM

That's funny, I spent years trying to find out who was behind 'Trailer Trash' to see if I could get hold of an unreleased remix he did, no producer name was ever credited on any of the Perfecto records releases. It was only about 2 years ago that Duncan Glasson's name came up in my searching and I emailed him to ask. He didn't still have it, sadly.

Crabwalk

My hat got fucked today when I found out that 'Superman' by Black Lace was co-written by a member of Goblin. Keyboardist Claudio Simonetti, to be precise.

Here's the original that Black Lace covered:

https://youtu.be/wGvUNaZwoy8

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on June 08, 2020, 11:09:12 AM
Ian Broudie from Lighting Seeds and Holly Johnson were in Big In Japan together. I did not know that.

Other acts who were big in Japan include The Nolan Sisters and Edward Furlong.

JesusAndYourBush

Watching tonights Big Brother best-of thing I learned that "Gangsters Paradise" borrows heavily from a Stevie Wonder song called Pastime Paradise.  Well I never... hat f***ed, etc...

kidsick5000

Quote from: Crabwalk on June 15, 2020, 08:52:22 PM
My hat got fucked today when I found out that 'Superman' by Black Lace was co-written by a member of Goblin. Keyboardist Claudio Simonetti, to be precise.

My poor hat!

(also feels like a very My Lovely Horse moment)

famethrowa

Drummer for Lou Reed's Transformer? Barry Wom.

daf

John Halsey

QuoteBest known for his appearance in the television film All You Need is Cash (1978) as Barrington Womble ("Barry Wom") of The Rutles.

In 1972 Halsey played drums on the Lou Reed album Transformer and recorded as a session musician on albums including Mind Your Own Business by Henry McCullough (1975), Back to the Night by Joan Armatrading (1975), Bullinamingvase by Roy Harper (1977), Woman in the Wings by Maddy Prior (1978), and Mail Order Magic by Roger Chapman (1980). He toured with others including Joe Cocker, The Scaffold, Grimms, Chris Jagger, Neil Innes, Viv Stanshall, and Joe Brown.

lazyhour

The lyric "I'm as serious as cancer" dates back much further than Snap's "Rhythm Is A Dancer". Can any reader tell me who said it on record about 15 years before this?

the

Quote from: lazyhour on June 21, 2020, 10:25:22 PMThe lyric "I'm as serious as cancer" dates back much further than Snap's "Rhythm Is A Dancer". Can any reader tell me who said it on record about 15 years before this?

Hip hop wise, I know there were lines about "serious as cancer" in Strong Island by JVC Force before Snap!, and in I Ain't No Joke by Eric B & Rakim before that.

lazyhour

It can be heard on a track on the mid-70s LP
Spoiler alert
Sex Machine Today by James Brown
[close]
. There may be an earlier instance but that's the earliest I've heard it!

I learned today that on Radiohead's first album Pablo Honey, Thom Yorke is credited as Thom E Yorke. Like Mark E Smith. I've never owned an official version with liner notes. Thomas Edward Yorke must have quietly dropped that affectation some time before The Bends.

kalowski

Quote from: thecuriousorange on June 21, 2020, 11:04:27 PM
I learned today that on Radiohead's first album Pablo Honey, Thom Yorke is credited as Thom E Yorke. Like Mark E Smith. I've never owned an official version with liner notes. Thomas Edward Yorke must have quietly dropped that affectation some time before The Bends.
Joe E Brown

phantom_power

Thomas Dolby produced and played on Magic's Wand by Whodini, as well as doing the intro to Waiting For a Girl Like You by Foreigner

The Cedar Room by Doves was heavily influenced by a dance track VSLI Heaven by Epoc 90

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW-z2N21AJc

Fr.Bigley

James Taylor is very close friends with Dennis Taylor.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on June 26, 2020, 08:00:34 PM
James Taylor is very close friends with Dennis Taylor.
Which one? Ex-junkie wimpy American singer/songwriter, or the English jazz-funk Hammond organ botherer?

jenna appleseed

The same people who sang 'Woh we're going to Barbados', wrote I Lost My Heart To A Starship Trooper. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typically_Tropical

Dr Rock

It may be a miserable Covidean hellscape where the living are envying the dead, but that's cheered me right up.

phantom_power

The woman who sang on Cola Boy's 7 Ways To Love is the woman who was (is?) one of Steve Wright's posse on radio 2 (Jamie Lee Grace)

Quote from: phantom_power on July 01, 2020, 07:18:24 PM
The woman who sang on Cola Boy's 7 Ways To Love is the woman who was (is?) one of Steve Wright's posse on radio 2 (Jamie Lee Grace)

Yep, Cracknall sings on the original but it had to be re-recorded for contractual reasons.

Cola Boy seemed like a good sort, he died 10 years ago.

https://heavenly-jukebox.com/2010/11/06/bob-stanley-pays-tribute-to-his-friend-andrew-midgley/

George White

Similarly, another Italian horror composer, Pino Donaggio wrote and sang, ""Io che non vivo (senza te)" which was heard by Dusty Springfield at the SanRemo festival, and became "You Don't Have to Say You Love Me".

Pingers

The Spiders From Mars were actually from Hull. Mick Ronson, Woody Woodmansey and Trevor Bolder (Berlder, presumably). Fuck my hat.

Any sound intel as to whether this is the root of the name for Spiders nightclub much appreciated

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: Pingers on July 02, 2020, 10:40:49 PM
The Spiders From Mars were actually from Hull. Mick Ronson, Woody Woodmansey and Trevor Bolder (Berlder, presumably). Fuck my hat.

Any sound intel as to whether this is the root of the name for Spiders nightclub much appreciated

I used to live in hull with my ex and I can confirm that spiders was named after the band aye. Those knuckle dragging cunts never stopped banging on about it. I also lived opposite Dave from the housemartins and one NYE pissed him off by whistling caravan of love everytime I went out for a fag and he was out.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on July 03, 2020, 07:31:57 PM
I used to live in hull with my ex and I can confirm that spiders was named after the band aye. Those knuckle dragging cunts never stopped banging on about it. I also lived opposite Dave from the housemartins and one NYE pissed him off by whistling caravan of love everytime I went out for a fag and he was out.
Given he didn't even perform on 'Caravan of Love', I could understand his irritation for extra reasons.

I worked with a chap who was at Hull uni in the early/mid 80s (who says the Housemartins were probably were probably the 2nd, not 4th, best band in Hull, as he rated Red Guitars higher) and recalled a situation where some Tory oik and his crew were holding some kind of protest on campus. It may have been anti-Mandela, that kind of thing. Heaton strolls into the vicinity for whatever reason, I don't think he was a student, clocks the events and walks over to lamp Tory Boy clean out with one punch.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on July 03, 2020, 07:46:35 PM
I worked with a chap who was at Hull uni in the early/mid 80s (who says the Housemartins were probably were probably the 2nd, not 4th, best band in Hull, as he rated Red Guitars higher) and recalled a situation where some Tory oik and his crew were holding some kind of protest on campus. It may have been anti-Mandela, that kind of thing. Heaton strolls into the vicinity for whatever reason, I don't think he was a student, clocks the events and walks over to lamp Tory Boy clean out with one punch.

I've heard other stories about his rep for literal Tory bashing. Ledge.

I think Ben Watt and Tracey Thorn also went to Hull Uni around 1981-82 and may even have bumped into Philip Larkin in the library.

For many years, I've been confusing the backing track of "This Must Be the Place (Naive Melody)" by Talking Heads with the one for "Rip It Up" by Orange Juice. Both from 1983.

studpuppet

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on July 06, 2020, 02:27:49 PM
I think Ben Watt and Tracey Thorn also went to Hull Uni around 1981-82...

True - my brother's mate was there around that time.

Crabwalk

It's fingered my hat rather than fucked it, but I didn't know that John Leckie produced Mark Owen's 'Green Man', with Dave Gregory of XTC contributing axework.