Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:17:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Musical 'F*** my Hat, I didn't know that!'

Started by Rocket Surgery, February 21, 2018, 08:37:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jockice

David Bowie's dad was from Doncaster.

New page it's a godawful smalltown affair.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Crabwalk on July 06, 2020, 04:50:20 PM
It's fingered my hat rather than fucked it, but I didn't know that John Leckie produced Mark Owen's 'Green Man', with Dave Gregory of XTC contributing axework.
Please do bow down for the one called the green man

SteveDave

Quote from: Crabwalk on July 06, 2020, 04:50:20 PM
It's fingered my hat rather than fucked it, but I didn't know that John Leckie produced Mark Owen's 'Green Man', with Dave Gregory of XTC contributing axework.

Clem Burke drummed on it too.

I just learned that Rockin Robin wasn't a Jackson 5 record. It was a very early solo Michael Jackson hit.
Fuck my hat.

Seedsy

I am utterly ashamed to admit, blinded by the light by mandfed manns earth band is infact a fucking Bruce springsteen song.
Never knew that at all. I hang my head in shame

kalowski

Quote from: thecuriousorange on July 15, 2020, 09:36:13 PM
I just learned that Rockin Robin wasn't a Jackson 5 record. It was a very early solo Michael Jackson hit.
Fuck my hat.
Originally by Bobby Day (real name Bobby Byrd) but couldn't use his ideal surname as it was already taken by Bobby Byrd (real name Bobby Byrd)

Lordofthefiles

This might be an old one, but it's a new one on me...

The beginning of Ted, Just Admit It by Jane's Addiction

https://youtu.be/1CpRCc4Jre8

...is a lift from the beginning of Slightly All The Time by Soft Machine

https://youtu.be/4RwLgA9U_3I

Rizla

I only just learned that David "sausage brigade" Bowie's 1967 song The Laughing Gnome wasn't a minor top 20 novelty hit at the time like I thought, but in fact massively flopped on release (ooer)but got to No5 when reissued in 1973 in the wake of Life On Mars being a huge hit. 

Norton Canes

Hadn't clocked this, despite having heard the song many times - Manic Street Preachers quote Pat Mills in PCP:

Ten foot sign in Oxford Street
Be pure - be vigilant - behave

Glyn

Quote from: Norton Canes on August 13, 2020, 10:53:04 AM
Hadn't clocked this, despite having heard the song many times - Manic Street Preachers quote Pat Mills in PCP:

Ten foot sign in Oxford Street
Be pure - be vigilant - behave

There are a few other 2000 AD Manics cross overs too :
http://jetsimian.blogspot.com/2014/07/comic-strip-reachers.html?m=1

Johnboy

Watched disc 4 of live aid last night and hall and oates bring on Eddie Kendricks and Dave Ruffin for a few temptations tunes and it's fucking ace

Annie Labuntur

Quote from: Johnboy on August 13, 2020, 09:33:12 PM
Watched disc 4 of live aid last night and hall and oates bring on Eddie Kendricks and Dave Ruffin for a few temptations tunes and it's fucking ace

They did a pretty good album together.

Quote from: Seedsy on July 15, 2020, 10:09:06 PM
I am utterly ashamed to admit, blinded by the light by mandfed manns earth band is infact a fucking Bruce springsteen song.
Never knew that at all. I hang my head in shame

I too had my hat sexually assaulted by this fact and I only discovered it because of the title of the recent film about a young lad who really likes The Boss a lot and finds inspiration in him.

Peru

Sally Timms from Mekons used to be married to Fred Arminsen.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on August 19, 2020, 03:07:54 PM
I too had my hat sexually assaulted by this fact and I only discovered it because of the title of the recent film about a young lad who really likes The Boss a lot and finds inspiration in him.
And what a lovely film it is!

Crabwalk

One of the backing singers on Tina Turner's 'We Don't Need Another Hero' is Lawrence Dallaglio.

George White

Paul Shane only sang holiday Rock on the record release.
the version used on Hi-de-Hi was by Ken Barrie, the voice of Postman Pat.
Barrie being a top vocal double/vocal mimic used for various soundalikes.
Barrie also sang the theme to 1980 slasher Silent Scream https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8TQ2s1IfpE&pbjreload=101 doing a very capable impression of 50s black doo-wop/blues.
and more recognisably, the theme to 70s Cornel Wilde gay sharksploiter Sharks' Treasure,  https://youtu.be/RpWjiGm_8Ow?t=5626
he also provided the singing voice of George C Scott in jane Eyre.

phantom_power

Sylvia Robinson, who ran the record company that released Rapper's Delight, is the Sylvia from Mickey & Sylvia who sang Love is Strange

Quote from: phantom_power on August 25, 2020, 10:05:43 AM
Sylvia Robinson, who ran the record company that released Rapper's Delight, is the Sylvia from Mickey & Sylvia who sang Love is Strange

She also had a solo hit with Pillow Talk, which is the sexiest song ever.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: phantom_power on August 25, 2020, 10:05:43 AM

Hat fucked.

Quote from: Better Midlands on August 25, 2020, 10:28:29 AM
She also had a solo hit with Pillow Talk, which is the sexiest song ever.

Jesus, you're not wrong, that is potent! I think I may have to lie down for a bit.

famethrowa

As of last year, there (was) a Local Hero west end musical with a bunch of new Knopfler songs. I just assumed he was doing bugger all except noodling around on expensive guitars for the last 5 years.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: popcorn on September 01, 2020, 10:00:33 PM
so what?

Ringo Starr didn't get his name from that if that's what you're thinking.
I'm wondering if he thinks the Beatles called their company Apple because of that, given the John/Yoko connection.

Hand Solo

It was John Lennon who used to stupidly say this about Yoko only heard of Ringo because it was Japanese for apple.

She apparently never heard of the Beatles until after she met John, so the meeting at the art gallery wasn't entirely engineered by her to score a Beatle.

John was a stupid cunt.

The Beatles called their company Apple and at the press conference in New York, John mentioned that Apple was Ringo in Japanese. And this was around the time the affair with Yoko went public. Basically some amusing coincidences. It fucked my hat when I read about it but obviously other people's hats could stay unfucked - these things are subjective.

Hand Solo

Paul named Apple because he said it's the first thing kids learn in school.. A is for apple.

John just added the coincidence that it was Ringo in Japanese because Yoko told him that, as that's the only way she'd have heard of the name Ringo because of course she'd never heard of the world famous Beatles while she was in the central Bohemian art hub of the world in New York or London for years and they were always on TV or in the media. No, she only heard of them after meeting John Lennon purely by chance and him telling her. Lennon was still repeating all this in the mid 70s on chat shows, stupid cunt.

popcorn

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on September 01, 2020, 11:24:22 PM
The Beatles called their company Apple and at the press conference in New York, John mentioned that Apple was Ringo in Japanese. And this was around the time the affair with Yoko went public. Basically some amusing coincidences. It fucked my hat when I read about it but obviously other people's hats could stay unfucked - these things are subjective.

Well just so long as you know it's all just a coincidence and don't go around telling people LIES that it's ALL CONNECTED you can do what you like with your hat.