Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:29:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Musical 'F*** my Hat, I didn't know that!'

Started by Rocket Surgery, February 21, 2018, 08:37:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

famethrowa

Pretty sure that John had been sitting on the "Apple Corps" joke for years, him and Paul could not resist a shit gag, and here was the big chance to force everyone to laugh at their lame pun.

Twonty Gostelow

Paul coined it as a reference to the "Michelle, m'apple" line, you idiots.

Hand Solo

Just as long as everyone is on the same page Yoko is a talentless cunt who manipulated a post-cynical LSD-ego destruction John Lennon into a motherless babyman who went along with anything that she said despite it being obvious horseshit to manipulate her career.

Twonty Gostelow

I think "talentless cunt" is unfair, but I recently watched both the Dick Cavett shows they were on, and the combination of Cavett trying a little too hard to accommodate her and even Lennon's occasional barely suppressed discomfort at some of her contributions makes it awkward viewing.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Hand Solo on September 01, 2020, 11:37:38 PMJohn just added the coincidence that it was Ringo in Japanese because Yoko told him that, as that's the only way she'd have heard of the name Ringo because of course she'd never heard of the world famous Beatles while she was in the central Bohemian art hub of the world in New York or London for years and they were always on TV or in the media. No, she only heard of them after meeting John Lennon purely by chance and him telling her. Lennon was still repeating all this in the mid 70s on chat shows, stupid cunt.

Some people have never heard of George Ezra, y'know.

JaDanketies

"You're making me dizzy, my head is spinning..."

The version I'm most familiar with was sang by none other than Vic Reeves, alongside some britrock band I've never heard of. It's a cover.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: JaDanketies on September 02, 2020, 03:04:23 PM
"You're making me dizzy, my head is spinning..."

The version I'm most familiar with was sang by none other than Vic Reeves, alongside some britrock band I've never heard of. It's a cover.
At the time, I remember a friend's dad telling us about the original, how it was better and then playing the Tommy Roe single that he'd bought as a youth. Nine year old oiks that we were, we rolled our eyes and said we preferred the Vic Reeves version.

30 years on, I'd say the old lad was right.

boki

Finally got around to listening to Yellow Magic Orchestra the last couple of days, and halfway through the Solid State Survivor album comes a familiar keyboard line.  Is that Behind The Mask?  Sure enough it is, I'm about to start formulating this post when the next track comes on, a cover of The Beatles Day Tripper.  Oh, so maybe the song's even older and YMO were covering it?  Quick trip to you know where shows that theirs is in fact the original version of the song only known to me as an Enoch Clapton joint. 

But wait - this hat's getting DP-ed!  The Clapton version is a cover of a cover, being his rendition of an unreleased version by Michael Bloody Jackson ffs!

boki

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on September 02, 2020, 03:10:42 PM
At the time, I remember a friend's dad telling us about the original, how it was better and then playing the Tommy Roe single that he'd bought as a youth. Nine year old oiks that we were, we rolled our eyes and said we preferred the Vic Reeves version.

30 years on, I'd say the old lad was right.
Oh, god no!  If ever a recording benefited from the early 90s' abundance of recreational stimulants, it was this version.  Kudos to whoever saw potential in that blummin plodder!

daf

Quote from: boki on September 03, 2020, 12:22:05 PM
unreleased version by Michael Bloody Jackson ffs!

Unreleased 1982 version intended for Thriller  |  Remixed version from 2010 album 'Michael' (hee-haw, jambon, etc.)

Phil_A

Finally got around to listening to Yellow Magic Orchestra the last couple of days, and halfway through the Solid State Survivor album comes a familiar keyboard line.  Is that Behind The Mask?  Sure enough it is, I'm about to start formulating this post when the next track comes on, a cover of The Beatles Day Tripper.  Oh, so maybe the song's even older and YMO were covering it?  Quick trip to you know where shows that theirs is in fact the original version of the song only known to me as an Enoch Clapton joint. 

But wait - this hat's getting DP-ed!  The Clapton version is a cover of a cover, being his rendition of an unreleased version by Michael Bloody Jackson ffs!

Clapton also decided to turn it into a rip-off of Gimme Shelter for some reason

buzby

From the BBC4 TOTP thread when it was repeated last January:
Quote from: buzby on January 24, 2019, 08:20:47 PM
It's a cover of a Ryuichi Sakamoto/Yellow Magic Orchestra song called Behind The Mask, which had English lyrics written by Chris Mosdell (it had started out as a jingle written by Sakamoto for a Seiko advert).  Quincy Jones was a fan of the song and  brought it to Michael Jackson. He recorded a cover with new lyrics he'd written during the Thriller sessions, but it wasn't released as they couldn't come to an agreement with Sakamoto's publishers over royalties.

Greg Phillinganes, Jackson's keyboard player, included a version of Jackson's cover on his Pulse album in 1985 and released it as a single, but it wasn't a hit.  Phillinganes was hired as a session keyboard player on Clapton's 1986 album August, (produced by Phil Collins) and he played his cover to Clapton during the sessions.  Clapton liked it and decided to record a version, with Phillinganes on keyboards and Collins on drums & backing vocals (along with Katie Kissoon & Tessa Niles). Despite only rewriting some of Mosdell's lyrics, Jackson got 50% of the royalties on this cover.

studpuppet

Pauline Moran (Ms. Lemon from Poirot with that David Suchet, and scary, screaming Woman In Black from that ITV drama that's just come out on Blu-Ray) was in an all-female band called She Trinity.

daf

shh

Just heard a song with 80s-sounding production values in the co op, with a chorus 'she's an easy lover'. It was a pastiche all along!!

Famous Mortimer

En Vogue did a version of "Free Your Mind" for the 1992 Barcelona Olympics tie-in album, with completely different lyrics, and even did a video of them singing it (which is, admittedly, the same as the regular video, but they're definitely singing the other version).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM6iIF6kyVo

sutin

Joe Rooney, AKA Father Damo Lennon was in an Irish c86/jangle pop band called Guernica who released a few records.

justin_bennett

Tory cunt Grant Shapps is the brother of Andre Shapps who was in Big Audio Dynamite II, and both are cousins of Mick Jones.

owlboy

While recording Daydream in 1995, Mariah Carey recorded and released a secret Grunge album under the name Chick.

"I created an alter-ego artist and her Ziggy Stardust-like spoof band. My character was a dark-haired brooding Goth girl who wrote and sang ridiculous tortured songs."

Hat well and truly fucked...: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV45sHkgwXA

Quote from: owlboy on September 29, 2020, 06:18:06 PM
While recording Daydream in 1995, Mariah Carey recorded and released a secret Grunge album under the name Chick.

"I created an alter-ego artist and her Ziggy Stardust-like spoof band. My character was a dark-haired brooding Goth girl who wrote and sang ridiculous tortured songs."

I'm pretty impressed that this was kept under wraps for 25 years.

Pingers

House legend Marshall Jefferson lived in Billericay for 5 years. Fucking Jesus Christ.

Stevie Wonder's full first name is Stevland. This one fucked my hat like a jackhammer.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on October 20, 2020, 08:26:34 AM
Stevie Wonder's full first name is Stevland. This one fucked my hat like a jackhammer.

I was going to reply - "Yes, that sounds like a gag when you first hear it, like when Lenny Henry jokes that his real name is Lenworth" - but then I went to wiki and Lenny Henry's first name really is Lenworth.  Hat Fucked².

buzby

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on October 20, 2020, 08:26:34 AM
And his surname is Morris, which once led to Stephen Morris from New Order being mistaken for him in a hotel while on tour in the US.

kalowski

Quote from: buzby on October 20, 2020, 08:44:24 PM
And his surname is Morris...
... although he was born Stevland Judkins.

And whilst I can't find a picture of it, he signed the booklet for Songs in the Key of Life as Stevland.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: owlboy on September 29, 2020, 06:18:06 PM

Video deleted :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1pCtaeo3_0

It sounds nothing at all like her - did she just write and do backing vocals? I could look this up myself, I guess.

Harold Wilson's pop royalties (Wiki):

QuoteIn 1967, Wilson sued the pop group The Move for libel after the band's manager Tony Secunda published a promotional postcard for the single "Flowers in the Rain", featuring a caricature depicting Wilson in bed with Falkender. Wilson won the case, and all royalties from the song were assigned in perpetuity to a charity of Wilson's choosing.

BBC: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/6960296.stm

daf