Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 04:57:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Musical 'F*** my Hat, I didn't know that!'

Started by Rocket Surgery, February 21, 2018, 08:37:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

non capisco

Revealed on this week's episode of The Head Ballet podcast featuring one time CaB regular Braintree as the guest: Destiny's Child's first foray into the UK pop charts was as backing singers on a Hall and Oates cover by Coronation Street actor Matthew Marsden.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phxMeLpTLaM

I wonder if Beyonce still puts that on her CV.

studpuppet

Tom 'Inspiral' Hingley's dad, Ronald, was a renowned translator of Russian and an Oxford don. If you've read any Chekhov, Dostoyevsky, Pasternak or Solzhenitsyn you're likely to have read one of his translations.

phantom_power

Mark Eitzel if American Music Club wrote a song about Mr Humphries from Are You Being Served

Quote from: non capisco on November 14, 2020, 05:39:54 PM
Revealed on this week's episode of The Head Ballet podcast featuring one time CaB regular Braintree as the guest: Destiny's Child's first foray into the UK pop charts was as backing singers on a Hall and Oates cover by Coronation Street actor Matthew Marsden.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phxMeLpTLaM

I wonder if Beyonce still puts that on her CV.

Not quite true, they'd got to #5 earlier that year with No No No.

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on October 20, 2020, 12:12:29 PM
I was going to reply - "Yes, that sounds like a gag when you first hear it, like when Lenny Henry jokes that his real name is Lenworth" - but then I went to wiki and Lenny Henry's first name really is Lenworth.  Hat Fucked².

I've fucked several people's hats with the Willard Smith fact.

Crabwalk

Quote from: phantom_power on November 14, 2020, 09:46:29 PM
Mark Eitzel if American Music Club wrote a song about Mr Humphries from Are You Being Served

Worth a link to the song, since it's brilliant and only has a few hundred youtube views:

https://youtu.be/sURKO9dY5Ns

Produced by Bernard Butler btw, who also plays lead guitar on the track.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: thecuriousorange on November 15, 2020, 02:30:44 AM
I've fucked several people's hats with the Willard Smith fact.
I think I was a bit surprised when I found that out because his character in the Fresh Prince of Bel Air was called William Smith.

Artie Fufkin

Apologies if this has already been done; Moby is called Moby because he's related to Herman Melville. Well (whale) I never!

Crabwalk

studpuppet

Brundle-Fly

Tonight, I have discovered that a one-off 7" single I purchased and really enjoyed from 2004 by the terribly monikered, Volcano, I'm Still Excited!! was the brainchild of Mark Duplass who has created my favorite horror film franchise of recent times, Creep (2014) and Creep 2 (2017), Creep 3 in the works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qchh1maUyzM

lazyhour

Glad to see another Creep fan!

Not massively hat-fucky, but here's a contribution to the thread: Phil Collins' homelessness hit "Another Day In Paradise" features backing vocals from David Crosby of CSN&Y. Why?!

famethrowa

Quote from: lazyhour on November 22, 2020, 07:44:53 PM

Not massively hat-fucky, but here's a contribution to the thread: Phil Collins' homelessness hit "Another Day In Paradise" features backing vocals from David Crosby of CSN&Y. Why?!

Love it when rock legends show up as hired gun backing vocals on disparate stuff. How about uber shredder Joe Satriani doing backing vocals on the Crowded House debut album?

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: famethrowa on November 22, 2020, 10:41:06 PM
Love it when rock legends show up as hired gun backing vocals on disparate stuff. How about uber shredder Joe Satriani doing backing vocals on the Crowded House debut album?
Oft-mentioned on here, of course, but such as the Jesus and Mary Chain doing the "guilty!" shouts on Erasure's hit single 'Drama!'

buzby

Quote from: lazyhour on November 22, 2020, 07:44:53 PM

Because Phil was a fan of Crosby (he wanted him to sing on Face Value in 1981 but Crosby was unavailable). They met when Genesis and CS&N appeared in Atlantic's 40th Anniversary concert in New York in 1988 and became friends..

crosby featured on two tracks on '...But Seriously', the other being That's Just The Way It Is. Collins would produce, co-write and duet with Crosby on the track Hero from Crosby's 1993 album Thousand Roads, and in 1994 he paid $3 million for Crosby's liver transplant.

Gregory Torso

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on November 21, 2020, 09:08:09 PM
Tonight, I have discovered that a one-off 7" single I purchased and really enjoyed from 2004 by the terribly monikered, Volcano, I'm Still Excited!! was the brainchild of Mark Duplass who has created my favorite horror film franchise of recent times, Creep (2014) and Creep 2 (2017), Creep 3 in the works.

I really like Mark Duplass and the Creep films and I remember the name "Volcano I'm Still Excited" thus therefore, I enjoyed this hat fucked fact a lot!

famethrowa

Drummer on Leo Sayer's plinky-plonky banjo jam Long Tall Glasses? Prog master Michael Giles, invoker of the Crimson King.

JaDanketies

When P!nk tells us she is coming up so you better get this party started, she's not talking about coming up the stairs. It's about drugs.

JesusAndYourBush

Conversely when Rachel Sweet introduces the song "Who Does Lisa Like?" in live appearances and mentions "who's taking what?"(as one of the topics of discussion in the school car park) I realised recently she's referring to school subjects not drugs!

JaDanketies

And when Blondie released 'I'm on E' as a b-side to Denis, they weren't talking about the drug, although I don't have a clue what they were talking about. I only know they weren't talking about ecstasy because it was released three years before the name was coined.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: JaDanketies on November 23, 2020, 12:05:10 PM
And when Blondie released 'I'm on E' as a b-side to Denis, they weren't talking about the drug, although I don't have a clue what they were talking about. I only know they weren't talking about ecstasy because it was released three years before the name was coined.
Maybe she was dossing round New Jersey, looking for Bruce's mates.

SpiderChrist

My copy of Denis has Kung Fu Girls and Contact In Red Square on the B-side.

phantom_power

ZZ Top started out as a fake version of The Zombies who their American record company set up to promote a single (Time of the Season) that became a hit after they split up

Quote from: SpiderChrist on November 23, 2020, 12:55:53 PM
My copy of Denis has Kung Fu Girls and Contact In Red Square on the B-side.

US release has it, even when ecstasy was known as "E" here in America it was shortened to "X".

Annie Labuntur

And when Blondie released 'I'm on E' as a b-side to Denis, they weren't talking about the drug, although I don't have a clue what they were talking about.

Something about being out of action because she got rid of her car and is dead on her feet.

sirhenry

And Blondie's Heart of Glass is about dumping a guy because of his obsession with anal sex: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56_tMgR3FXw

NoSleep

Miles Davis' Live/Evil is my most-played album of all time, and one of the reasons for that is the incredible performance of Keith Jarrett, compelled by Miles Davis to play electric piano and organ rather than his usual acoustic piano. So something unique in its way.

Just today I found out that he and Miles' drummer of that time, Jack Dejohnette, found themselves free to record an album, in between dates, and took the same keyboards (clearly, as the electric piano has the same notes out of tune as on Live/Evil, which Jarrett uses as a feature) with them to the studio, which was later mixed by Manfred Eicher and released in 1973. So more of that same uniqueness after almost 50 years of listening to Live/Evil (the complete Cellar Door sessions aside).

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: JaDanketies on November 23, 2020, 10:51:10 AM
When P!nk tells us she is coming up so you better get this party started, she's not talking about coming up the stairs. It's about drugs.
"Everybody's waiting for me to arrive", another lyric in the same song, would seem to argue the "up the stairs" thing.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on November 23, 2020, 10:13:56 PM
"Everybody's waiting for me to arrive", another lyric in the same song, would seem to argue the "up the stairs" thing.
Maybe the singer is the one with the drugs?

"I'm your operator, you can call anytime
I'll be your connection to the party line"