Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:10:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Iconic movies since the year 2000

Started by Blinder Data, February 21, 2018, 03:48:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blinder Data

I'm thinking of films that you'd only need to glance at to know what it was. They are firmly embedded in our cultural consciousness.

You see a silhouette of:

- a man in a grey suit running from a cropduster
- a dinosaur's eye at a car window
- a man with a mohican, wearing sunglasses and a big coat

BOOM. You know what film I'm talking about.

But what are the iconic movies made in the last 20 years? Which films are so visually unique that a mere glimpse at them and you'd know? Which movies have scenes that could be spoofed and the audience would automatically get the joke?

Taking a look at the highest-grossing films of all time and none of them stand out - it's all Marvel, kids films, Harry Potter. I think so far I have:

- Lord of the Rings
- Frozen
- Shrek

But even that's a weak list. Help me out guys

ieXush2i

Do things like "I. Drink. Yourrrr. MILKSHAKE!" count?

Blinder Data

Quote from: (Ex poster) on February 21, 2018, 03:50:58 PM
Do things like "I. Drink. Yourrrr. MILKSHAKE!" count?

Yes! Thank you. One-line impersonations that people instantly recognise definitely count.

Also, on that theme: put a plastic cup over your face and speak loquaciously in a posh English voice - and you are now Bane.

Films with iconic characters (Heath Ledger's Joker) fit the brief too. I could throw in Anthon Chigurh with his is weird walk, long locks, coin-flipping and "call it".

So, added to the list:

- There Will Be Blood
- Batman films
- No Country for Old Men
- Downfall (obviously helped by endless YouTube spoofs)

Small Man Big Horse

popcorn

Under the Skin. Not loads of people saw it but it's had an immediate influence on stuff like Stranger Things. I think it will over time come to be seen as a truly visionary work, like Blade Runner did.

Quote from: Blinder Data on February 21, 2018, 03:48:49 PM
You see a silhouette of:

- a man in a grey suit running from a cropduster
- a dinosaur's eye at a car window
- a man with a mohican, wearing sunglasses and a big coat

BOOM. You know what film I'm talking about.

I have no idea what this is and can't work out if this is just a big wheeze.

mothman

North by Northwest, Jurassic Park, Taxi Driver.

Blinder Data

SMBH, yes - thank you. In fact if people just wanna post one iconic line or describe iconic images from post-2000 films that could make for a much more interesting thread.

Quote from: popcorn on February 21, 2018, 04:06:51 PM
Under the Skin. Not loads of people saw it but it's had an immediate influence on stuff like Stranger Things. I think it will over time come to be seen as a truly visionary work, like Blade Runner did.

Way too niche pal. I think it's on the right track with the repetitive sequences and unforgettable score. But spoof it to 95% of people and they'd have no idea what you're on about.

I have no idea what this is and can't work out if this is just a big wheeze.

Mate.

EDIT: Maybe it wasn't clear they were three different films.

popcorn

Quote from: Blinder Data on February 21, 2018, 04:12:22 PM
EDIT: Maybe it wasn't clear they were three different films.

OK, I thought it was one mental film. Also I can't picture a silhouette of a "dinosaur's eye at a car window".

Quote from: Blinder Data on February 21, 2018, 04:12:22 PM
Way too niche pal. I think it's on the right track with the repetitive sequences and unforgettable score. But spoof it to 95% of people and they'd have no idea what you're on about.

Today yes, but I reckon it'll get into public consciousness, like Blade Runner did. It'll be parodied and homaged in so many things the imagery will seep down, sort of like how many people ended up with a weird innate knowledge of Twin Peaks without ever having seen the TV series.

Blumf

~/ Everything is awesome! /~

Nolan's Batman films... that's it.

Avatar is a funny one. Everybody was all over it on release, now no-one cares. It's like the Crocodile Dundee of 00's films.

Prometheus should be in this category, but it's too shit.

Everything else these days tends to be part of a larger series, so that any iconography gets diluted down to indifference.

Blinder Data

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on February 21, 2018, 04:22:35 PM
Also:

The film as a whole - no, since it's been rebooted twice! But that scene really did set the bar for upside-down kissing and red-haired girls in wet tops.

itsfredtitmus

"friendo"
coin
already know that film im talking about

itsfredtitmus

queen, cornetto, girlfriend, red

Zimmer noise, upside down mirror

greenman

Quote from: popcorn on February 21, 2018, 04:06:51 PM

Honestly I'v been expecting it to build more of a following in the last few years than it has so perhaps its going to end up more like Stalker than Blade Runner, an influence on film/TV rather than something that's widely seen.

Probably Lord of the Rings is the most obvious one, do a vague impression of Gollum involving the word "precious" and everyone knows what your on about. Maybe some Pixar? Finding Nemo and Wall-E most obviously. The OP said no Marvel but Downey Jnr as Ironman and Chris Evans as Captain America are pretty iconic now even if no individual film arguably is.

Not approaching that kind of level but if for talking iconic to cinephiles  Drive has become well known, Gosling in that scorpion jacket is probably how most think of him. Portman in Black Swan another alone similar lines, that's probably how most people think of her, at least as an adult actress post Leon.

SteveDave

Ginger perm. Moon boots. Vote For Pedro t-shirt.

Or is it too paradox for you?

itsfredtitmus

Truman Show
Or I going to look like idiot and it came out in like 1997

computer, delete post

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

As unmoved as I was by it, I won't argue that Mad Max: Fury Road isn't iconic. So much orange and teal.

ieXush2i

"With great power comes great responsibility" - no fucker remembers the actor who said it though.

I'd also say perhaps the train scene from Spidey 2 is iconic? The kiss from the first one is

itsfredtitmus

Drug film with nutty mtv editing and diluted eyeballs

ieXush2i

Spinning top - Inception

Beaten by titmarsh

Samuel L. Jackson is fed up of sharing his flipping flight with flipping serpents.

Quote from: (Ex poster) on February 21, 2018, 05:00:42 PM
"With great power comes great responsibility" - no fucker remembers the actor who said it though.
Cliff Robertson.

Wet Blanket

Uma Thurman in her Bruce Lee outfit in Kill Bill?

Ryan Gosling in his scorpion jacket in Drive?

Icehaven

Quote from: Wet Blanket on February 21, 2018, 05:13:15 PM

Yeah I was going to say there's loads of Tarantino ones surely, although tbf if we're being strictly strict with the last 20 years remit then maybe not so many other than KB.

I'm not advocating the film itself but ''I'm the king of the woooorrrrrlllddd!!'' from Titanic is pretty iconic, although again it's 21 years ago.

Wet Blanket

Within 20 years there's 'The first rule of fight club...' and 'red pilling' which are phrases that people understand even if they've never seen Fight Club or The Matrix.

Giant, naked pink holographic woman with blue hair is a memorable image. Nothing else from that film is though. Nothing.

I was also going to say that myself. It's possibly more iconic now than Game of Death. The use of the Ironside theme tune and that 'dah daaah dah!' trumpet one are inextricably linked to it too.

Icehaven

Ryan Gosling in his scorpion jacket in Drive?

One of the meanest, funniest internet lists I ever saw was something like ''25 people who think they look a lot cooler than they do'' and had several wannabe Goslings in approximations of that jacket (pretty sure one of them had just stapled on a picture of a scorpion he'd printed off the internet). To a man they looked like the kind of 30 year olds who chat up adolescent girls on public transport.

ieXush2i

Opening scene of Inglouriiuss Basterds