Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,309
  • Total Topics: 106,766
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 03:19:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Iconic movies since the year 2000

Started by Blinder Data, February 21, 2018, 03:48:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwen Taylor on ITV

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Freaky pale monster man with eyes in his hands.

Blue tinted night vision footage of people not doing much, with the occasional jump scare.

Day glow cars race around Los Angeles.

magval

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on February 21, 2018, 05:05:09 PM
Samuel L. Jackson is fed up of sharing his flipping flight with flipping serpents.
Cliff Robertson.

Aye, it's Cliff Robertson like

ieXush2i

Because you said no one would know it.

Replies From View

Toilety green filter.  Leather coats, sunglasses.  Even just vaguely recalling them makes you feel a bit queasy and sluggish.

= the Matrix sequels.

St_Eddie

Quote from: popcorn on February 21, 2018, 04:06:51 PM
Under the Skin.

This is the film which immediately popped into my head when I read the thread's title.

Quote from: popcorn on February 21, 2018, 04:16:52 PM
Today yes, but I reckon it'll get into public consciousness, like Blade Runner did. It'll be parodied and homaged in so many things the imagery will seep down, sort of like how many people ended up with a weird innate knowledge of Twin Peaks without ever having seen the TV series.

I too have long thought that in decades to come, Under the Skin will be remembered as a classic masterpiece and will have entered the public consciousness.  If it doesn't, then it certainly deserves to.

Blumf

ieXush2i

ieXush2i

Talulah, really!

Quote from: (Ex poster) on February 21, 2018, 05:59:04 PM
Harry awakens the Grimblegram

Trust you to mention a little scrawny fella, glasses, who is always whipping his wand out...

Gwen Taylor on ITV

When the mayor roars "release the bees"

ieXush2i

Quote from: Talulah, really! on February 21, 2018, 06:03:38 PM
Trust you to mention a little scrawny fella, glasses, who is always whipping his wand out...

Heh. Christ, imagine the thread if I'd decided to post films with "iconic" behind the scenes abuse...

CGI rat from The Depahted

ieXush2i

Much as we all can't stand Johnny Depp these days, Captain Jack Sparrow is most definitely an icon.

ieXush2i

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on February 21, 2018, 06:24:13 PM
Much as we all can't stand Johnny Depp these days, Captain Jack Sparrow is most definitely an icon.

Oh, in that case Harley Quinn (not kevin smith's daughter)

Basically, any character that Americans dress up as for Halloween.

ieXush2i

greenman

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 21, 2018, 07:00:43 PM

At the time I thought Bridges in True Grit would enter the public consciousness more than it has, I spose lacking a really iconic line.

A collective one for various bohemiann women with blue hair, Eternal Sunshine, Scott Pilgrim, Blue is the Warmest, etc.

Sebastian Cobb

Keeping on a cohen brothers tip, O Brother, Where Art Thou? was the first time a digital intermediate was used on the entirety of a film that didn't have much in the way of computerised effects, it's because they used a digital rather than a traditional filter or chemical process to give it the sepia tone.

Anyhow, the reason it should be viewed as iconic is because it paved the way for a decade where colourists got carried away and turned pretty much everything on screen a shade of teal or orange.

So basically anything that doesn't look like that should get a mention.

It's mental to think that Fellini and Jean Luc Godard could create beauty with one black and white camera and 3 lights, yet people like Micheal Bay can spend thousands of dollars per frame at a rendering farm and the end result looks like someone's vomited lego all over the floor.