Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 12:45:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Comedian sued by her ex for stand-up routine

Started by Alberon, February 21, 2018, 05:52:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icehaven

This happened in an episode of Dream On too.

Jockice

I can't imagine anything worse than being married to a stand-up comedian. Well maybe apart from being married to Liz Jones.

BritishHobo

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on July 15, 2019, 11:36:17 AM
Kiri Pritchard-McLean did a show about her ex. I haven't seen that show but apparently he's not painted in a good light. Then he, also a comedian, did a show in response about her.

http://www.edfestmag.com/general/kiri-pritchard-mclean-victim-complex-killa-filla/

https://www.chortle.co.uk/review/2018/08/16/40886/james_meehan:_gaz

I saw Kiri's show at Machynlleth this year and it was a cracker. Really stunning and breathtaking show, it swept me away. But yes, you get an odd sense of reality coming out of the show and processing properly that it is about real people, having gotten invested in the performance and storytelling. To her credit she kept his identity out of the show, using a fake name, but every review I read mamechecked him and his credentials immediately. It's weird putting a real face and name to things.

I was flicking through last year's programme and realised they both performed their respective shows as works in progress that year, which seems so surreal. Just by chance,
without realising, you could have paid to see both sides of a relationship independently detail its unhappy breakup, on the same weekend, in the same tiny Welsh town.

Fuck it was a good show though.

I saw her previous show and thought that was excellent. The thing with her ex is it would be almost impossible to keep his name out of things. They'd said in interviews with Gein's Family Giftshop that they were a couple. She referenced him in the early episodes of All Killa No Filla, etc. It would be very easy to find out who he was so I'm not really surprised the reviews were upfront about it. Especially as his show was written in direct response.

Small Man Big Horse

It's weird, that Chortle review mentions "He also alludes to winning a court case against his ex for things she'd said" but I can find no evidence of this online, does anyone here know about it?

garbed_attic

Did Kim Noble ever get in trouble for hiding his semen in women's hygiene products and stalking his ex-partner and such for his stand-up years back? That always struck me as one of the most legally and ethically dubious stand-up shows.

BritishHobo

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on July 15, 2019, 09:02:42 PM
I saw her previous show and thought that was excellent. The thing with her ex is it would be almost impossible to keep his name out of things. They'd said in interviews with Gein's Family Giftshop that they were a couple. She referenced him in the early episodes of All Killa No Filla, etc. It would be very easy to find out who he was so I'm not really surprised the reviews were upfront about it. Especially as his show was written in direct response.

Of course. It makes this thread's subject even more complicated. Even if you try to change names or keep anonymity, people will easily find out who you mean. Especially in the age of the internet.

kidsick5000

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on February 21, 2018, 08:14:45 PM
Lee and Herring mentioned the apparently real name of his ex girlfriend's mother, and called her a horrible old bitch, in the radio days.

Wasn't there a thing with a 90s act using their radio or TV platform to shame their ex-teachers?
Or maybe it's accidentally using their friend's real name when recounting a really embarrassing story. Or maybe it's both.

Jockice

Quote from: kidsick5000 on July 16, 2019, 06:24:26 AM
Wasn't there a thing with a 90s act using their radio or TV platform to shame their ex-teachers?
Or maybe it's accidentally using their friend's real name when recounting a really embarrassing story. Or maybe it's both.

Wasn't there something with Baddiel using the real name of someone who got bullied at school and saying he had to do it (for his artistic integrity or some other bollocks) whereas Newman insisted on changing names, saying he just couldn't use the real ones? The victim in Baddiel's case apparently had his mother dying of cancer at the time, so it must have been lovely for him to be reminded of those days

Recently of course, This Country used the real surname of one of their most disliked teachers in the show. He's not dead though, so that was a bit of artistic exaggeration. And it was very funny.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: gout_pony on July 15, 2019, 09:35:55 PM
Did Kim Noble ever get in trouble for hiding his semen in women's hygiene products and stalking his ex-partner and such for his stand-up years back? That always struck me as one of the most legally and ethically dubious stand-up shows.

He was arrested for the stalking, as he filmed it when it was happening (the arrest, not the stalking), but I don't know about the other things.

Pancake

Can't she just claim she's performing as a character and that character references fictitious scenarios that may be inspired by real life? Worked for Loraine Kelly. One rule for that lot eh!

McFlymo