Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:23:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Manic Street Preachers continue

Started by Mark Steels Stockbroker, February 22, 2018, 08:13:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kidsick5000

For those of us who have observed the Manics from the outside, does anyone still have it in their brain that everything post-Ritchie is "the recent stuff"? Could just be me then.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: manticore on February 25, 2018, 11:20:16 PM
I'm very grateful to this group for helping me stop listening to rock music in the 1990s. Dullard clod-hopping contoversialists, even worse than Oasis. Sort of group who'd make a record called something like 'Generation Terrorists' or 'Motorcycle Emptiness'. Really that bad.

Lol @ this post

Controversialism is awful isn't it, good job I didn't STOP LISTENING TO ROCK MUSIC ALTOGETHER!!!!

purlieu

Quote from: kidsick5000 on February 26, 2018, 04:44:10 AM
For those of us who have observed the Manics from the outside, does anyone still have it in their brain that everything post-Ritchie is "the recent stuff"? Could just be me then.
I find it odd that a lot of fans see them this way, still listening but going "ah it's not as good as the Richie years", as if they haven't released three times as many albums since he disappeared as when he was in the band. Those first three records were only the first quarter of their output, and one of those isn't an especially highly regarded album either.

And yeah, I'll join in on the JDB love. Brilliant musician and songwriter, and absurdly humble. Even Wire, with all the nonsense he talks in interviews (and I'm pretty sure he's just been playing up to that image for over a decade now) seems happy enough living a pretty quiet life. They never courted fame, happy to keep knocking out high charting albums and sell-out tours while still living in Wales. You never see them knocking around with other famous people or filling in on Radio Six or presenting arts programmes on BBC Four.

doppelkorn

Not really arsed at all about them either way, but Let Robeson Sing is a good tune.

bgmnts

I think Little Baby Nothing is my favourite track of theirs.

rue the polywhirl

I think all of their tracks are my favourite tracks. Their new songs Distant Colours is a bit piffling, though. Their most piffling yet. I'll probably end up buying the special edition anyway like I do with all of the others and then querying why.

Howj Begg

Quote from: kidsick5000 on February 26, 2018, 04:44:10 AM

Kind of, yeah. Or at least since This is my Truth, anyway. I was a fan in the Holy Bible period (was at Richey's last gig at... The Astoria, I think?). Haven't bothered with them since 2000. This is cheeky, but would anyone like to suggest their favourite tracks from the last 17 years for me to 'tube?

Glyn

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on February 25, 2018, 10:28:02 PM
4st 7lbs is supposed to be all dark and brooding but the chorus sounds like queen
Don't quite hear it sorry but the intro is definitely Eton Rifles. Bradfield's suggestion that he was trying to channel Broadway musicals for If White America made a lot sense though so there are hidden musical depths on that album.
As the avatar hints I'm a fan but yeah this stinker of a new song has severely dampened my expectations for the new album. It can be frustrating but their ability to go from the sublime to the dreadful (Journal For Plague Lovers into Postcards From a Young Man being the prime example) is half the charm for me.

rue the polywhirl

Just seen the video for International Blue. Rock solid tiny little piffling gemstone of a tune. Nicely shot as well.

The artwork for the new album is just rot though, it looks like it took 30 seconds to slap together. The lazy, minging font, the cheap, ugly clash of Madame Tussaud's, Tower Block and Rhythm and Stealth. Their album art direction has definitely been the worst thing about them since the turn of the millennium.

Vodka Margarine

Quote from: purlieu on February 26, 2018, 12:51:32 PM
You never see them knocking around with other famous people or filling in on Radio Six

Not for a long while, any way - http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2004/11_november/18/manics.shtml

It is true they have maintained impressively unstarry profiles, even back when they were top 10 bothering 'biggest band in the country' fodder. I didn't even know they'd all long ago become parents until quite recently.

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: Glyn on February 26, 2018, 06:49:10 PM
Don't quite hear it sorry but the intro is definitely Eton Rifles. Bradfield's suggestion that he was trying to channel Broadway musicals for If White America made a lot sense though so there are hidden musical depths on that album.
As the avatar hints I'm a fan but yeah this stinker of a new song has severely dampened my expectations for the new album. It can be frustrating but their ability to go from the sublime to the dreadful (Journal For Plague Lovers into Postcards From a Young Man being the prime example) is half the charm for me.
i also hear queen on a design for life but that's me and im always saying stuff like this

Glyn

Quote from: Howj Begg on February 26, 2018, 06:42:04 PM
would anyone like to suggest their favourite tracks from the last 17 years for me to 'tube?
From more recent times I'd suggest :
All is Vanity
William's Last Words
Golden Platitudes
This Sullen Welsh Heart
30 Years War
Black Square

Never trust a fan for suggestions though.

Howj Begg

Quote from: Glyn on February 26, 2018, 07:20:49 PM
From more recent times I'd suggest :
All is Vanity
William's Last Words
This Sullen Welsh Heart
30 Years War
Black Square

Never trust a fan for suggestions though.

Nice, thank you

manticore

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on February 26, 2018, 05:27:13 AM
Lol @ this post

Controversialism is awful isn't it, good job I didn't STOP LISTENING TO ROCK MUSIC ALTOGETHER!!!!

Yes, not altogether. I think rock music lost its way around 1968, with the exception of a few groups like The Fall, with their rigorous paring of all the musical and lyrical and rock star bullshit and posturing and cliche that groups like this personify.   

(Only heard about five of their songs, mind.)

(And not for about twenty years.)

(Maybe I should give them another listen to check.)

PaulTMA

When he sings "I wanna walk in THA SNOW" he sounds remarkably like Freddie Mercury

itsfredtitmus

Been pure blasting 4st 7lbs to myself for 3 days now

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: manticore on February 26, 2018, 11:02:56 PM
Yes, not altogether. I think rock music lost its way around 1968, with the exception of a few groups like The Fall, with their rigorous paring of all the musical and lyrical and rock star bullshit and posturing and cliche that groups like this personify.   

(Only heard about five of their songs, mind.)

(And not for about twenty years.)

(Maybe I should give them another listen to check.)
bit of an arbitrary cut out point

Sgt. Duckie

Give them the respect they d e s e r v

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: Glyn on February 26, 2018, 07:20:49 PM

All is Vanity

Do trust a fan on this one. It's a belter.

A bit obvious but You're love alone is a piece of pure class pop.

Dr Syntax Head

Shaky

I've come to love Solitude Sometimes Is from Lifeblood. Yadda, yadda Coldplay and all that but it's a fantastic, beautiful tune.

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: Shaky on February 28, 2018, 04:10:23 AM
I've come to love Solitude Sometimes Is from Lifeblood. Yadda, yadda Coldplay and all that but it's a fantastic, beautiful tune.

Yeah it is. It's also far better than Coldplay are capable of.

Vodka Margarine

Know Your Enemy is often dismissed as a huge, unfocused patchwork quilt of nonsense. It's an overlong chore of a listen in its entirety but it contains some true peaches - 'Intravenous Agnostic', 'Dead Martyrs', 'Baby Elian', 'My Guernica' and - yes! - 'Miss Europa Disco Dancer'. I wasn't overly taken with any of the actual singles on it.

Dr Syntax Head

I love Baby Elian. The chorus musically is simply gorgeous.

Quote from: Vodka Margarine on February 28, 2018, 10:39:25 PM
Know Your Enemy is often dismissed as a huge, unfocused patchwork quilt of nonsense. It's an overlong chore of a listen in its entirety but it contains some true peaches - 'Intravenous Agnostic', 'Dead Martyrs', 'Baby Elian', 'My Guernica' and - yes! - 'Miss Europa Disco Dancer'. I wasn't overly taken with any of the actual singles on it.

I always liked Royal Correspondent.

I picked up on the Manics again a few years ago having given up at Lifeblood. Plague Lovers and Futurology are both decent I thought. Like Syntax, I have a vague guitar crush on JDB, but for me the mid-90s output is the best. The GNR and AOR style stuff does nothing for me.

purlieu

Know Your Enemy should have been two albums really, one a 'back to basics rock' album and one a 'weird stuff' album. Throw in a couple of b-sides to each and there are a pair of 10-track albums that work a lot better on their own than they do as a big mess.

Dr Syntax Head

I love this little vid of JDB talking about his guitars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gslKjS155Q

I fucking love guitars. They're all I have now.

Jockice

I liked Know Your Enemy too. It's the last thing they did that I thought was remotely interesting.

zonko

3 singles released from the new album so far and they've all been awful! The first one sounded like the theme from a sports highlights show, the second was By The Rivers of Babylon and this new one about the Moran family is just Don't Go Breaking My Heart https://open.spotify.com/album/5dGSib0ToOIUpvird1FTzv