Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:02:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Taskmaster - Series 6

Started by olliebean, February 22, 2018, 10:17:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemulen

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on March 24, 2018, 08:00:52 AM
Trailer for the US version: https://twitter.com/comedycentral/status/977229090863374342

Hmm. If you ignore the tongue in cheek reality TV voiceover nonsense it looks as though they've not really dicked around with the format, which is a good sign. Not sure this is a great way to promote it though...

imitationleather

Quote from: Hemulen on March 26, 2018, 12:05:11 PM
Hmm. If you ignore the tongue in cheek reality TV voiceover nonsense it looks as though they've not really dicked around with the format, which is a good sign. Not sure this is a great way to promote it though...

It reminded me of how the US Whose Lines Is It Anyway? would be at pains to stress that the points don't matter and that it was being played for laughs, incase anyone took the scoring to be completely serious. As long as it's just in the trailer and doesn't seep into the actual programme it's fine. Wouldn't show that clip to someone to sell the show to them, though. Although the ads on Dave never made it look that appealing. I think it's a concept that's hard to explain why it's good in a short advert.

Hemulen

Quote from: imitationleather on March 26, 2018, 12:13:09 PM
It reminded me of how the US Whose Lines Is It Anyway? would be at pains to stress that the points don't matter and that it was being played for laughs, incase anyone took the scoring to be completely serious.

Ugh, yeah. I'm sure actual Americans would have no difficulty understanding the basic conceit of panel shows, but American TV executives always seem to think otherwise.

I hope it takes off in the states though, as I could always do with a bit more Taskmaster in my life. There's no reason it shouldn't, really. Watching people fail to do pointless things is about as universal a comedy concept as you can get.

remedial_gash

Quote from: Hemulen on March 26, 2018, 12:24:13 PM
Ugh, yeah. I'm sure actual Americans would have no difficulty understanding the basic conceit of panel shows, but American TV executives always seem to think otherwise.

I hope it takes off in the states though, as I could always do with a bit more Taskmaster in my life. There's no reason it shouldn't, really. Watching people fail to do pointless things is about as universal a comedy concept as you can get.

I'm not so sure about that - the first year of 'international waters' - a maximum fun podcast blah blah two teams from diff continents - was absolutely ruined by Americans not getting  the point - even to the extent that the new and better host Dave Holmes has to explain what 'wrong but funny' means every fucking episode, and even then it seems that 70% they think it's a pub quiz (or bar trivia) . Grr!

Also everyone American on the show brings up 'at midnight' or whatever it was called and boasting about win ratios - the fucking tools.

'Do the right thing' is a much better podcast panel show when really all that matters is whether it is funny.

Sorry for going OT but US Comedians just don't seem to get it.

cakeinmilk

Quote from: remedial_gash on March 26, 2018, 10:32:50 PM

'Do the right thing' is a much better podcast panel show when really all that matters is whether it is funny.

Minor derail but I went to a recording of Do The Right Thing (it was a double-bill with Flatshare Slamdown) and it was torturous. The regulars seemed to have no chemistry and it all just seemed really forced and awkward. Pappy's on the other hand was fantastic.

DrGreggles

Quote from: cakeinmilk on March 27, 2018, 09:03:28 AM
Pappy's on the other hand was fantastic.

Flatshare Slamdown is always such a glorious shambles.
I love it.

Spiteface

Quote from: vainsharpdad on February 22, 2018, 07:53:42 PM
Uninspired by that cast.

Keen to see Acaster - I'd also quite like to see Richard Herring on this.
Trying to think who else might be good without going down the obvious David Mitchell-style route.

Jenny Eclair?  Jack Dee? Ross Noble?

(I wonder how long until the inevitable arrival of Shappi Khorsandi ?)

Also - I still want them to do a losers of losers edition to balance out the champions of champions.

Surprised Noble hasn't been on already.

And yes to the Loser of Losers edition - in practice the most entertaining parts are sometimes the contestants who are totally crap.

jimboslice

Quote from: DrGreggles on March 27, 2018, 09:24:51 AM
Flatshare Slamdown is always such a glorious shambles.
I love it.

I agree, it's a shame Pappy's never properly translated to telly. Maybe Matthew Crosby hiding under restaurant tables and surprising diners with quiz questions will give him the big break he deserves.

notjosh

Quote from: RedRevolver on February 22, 2018, 01:13:16 PM
Tim Vine is an odd man, how much fun he turns out to be in this setup is but a mystery.

I reckon he'll be great. I remember enjoying a special feature on one of his DVDs which showed a week in his life and revealed him to be a peculiar, somewhat Bill-Bailey-like character who was engaged in a war of attrition with the stray cats in his garden (trying to put trespasser stickers on them). It's a #dadjoke, but I also enjoyed him yelling "handball" repeatedly whilst watching rugby.

gilbertharding

Liza Tarbuck mentioned the filming of this on her Radio 2 show on Saturday. She didn't say anything of much consequence, but said she was tired from filming back-to-back episodes (presumably this means the tasks are all already 'in the can').

Apparently Greg was taking the mickey out of her for something she said a bit wrong.

DrGreggles

Can't  be arsed to start a new thread, but thought it worth a mention that Greg Davies' last tour show is now available on Netflix.

Bad Ambassador

The US version starts this Friday 27th.

Twed

olliebean

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on April 23, 2018, 01:04:19 PM
The US version starts this Friday 27th.

Excellent, and they seem to be showing 2 episodes per week, which to some extent mitigates the shorter episode length.

Morrison Lard

First two episodes of the US series are up on the usual t*rrent sites..

DrGreggles

Guess which one I hated within 10 minutes of episode 1.
This is going to be a struggle to get through!

BeardFaceMan

Reggie Watts is woefully miscast in this. And what is he doing with his accent, is it a British accent he keeps slipping in and out of or a more general well-to-do accent? Either way, it's jarring and he's no Taskmaster, way too nice and soft spoken. Gonna grow tired of hearing Lampenelli shout at Alex to suck her dick real fast but they needed someone with her personality type in charge, not on the panel.

Agreed. Watts seems way too supportive. Compare the two 'Paint a horse while on a horse' tasks - you need a Greg Davies to tell them that the painting is shit and if he saw a horse that looked like that he would shoot it.

Also disappointed they changed the opening 'Bring in and justify items' section, but maybe it was too long. With all the ads it seems amazingly short.

Small Man Big Horse

I'm a big fan of Reggie's but yeah, it doesn't feel quite right, he's way too soft spoken and there's no real chemistry with Alex. Still, hopefully that will develop a little during the run. I enjoyed it overall though, I don't think it's going to be as good as the UK series but the format still works for me and I like most of the contestants.

Quote from: DrGreggles on April 28, 2018, 12:30:52 PM
Guess which one I hated within 10 minutes of episode 1.
This is going to be a struggle to get through!

Could it be Lisa by any chance?

Edit: Watched the second now and Alex is really saving this, without his interjections I'd be struggling. Starting to find Ron Funches a bit irritating too which is a shame as I was a fan of the man previously. Freddie Highmore's good value at least, Kate Berlant I was already very fond of and she's reasonably strong here, and Lisa and DJ man aren't bad either. I can't help but wish they'd managed to recruit a higher profile cast, and some of the quirkier US comics out there, but it's still a nice enough way to pass some time.

gmoney

Quote from: Hemulen on March 26, 2018, 12:24:13 PM

I've heard Marc Maron go on about his stint filming the US version of Never Mind the Buzzcocks (as a captain I think, or possibly the host) and complain it was doomed because "it's a fucking game show where no one won any fucking prizes!"

BritishHobo

I didn't hate it. Most of the panel are much more likable than I expected. It hasn't felt as awkward a transfer as I thought, either. Happy to give the whole series a watch.

Twed

The DJ one can live in a pit. Imagine taking the item challenge thing at face value and bringing your laptop. The joke there is that it would be slightly inconvenient to replace it. Shit joke that could only pass with some banter, which this haircut that denies its host body's biological age could never muster.

Freddie needs to discover punk music or something, he's too mild to be entertaining.

Kate Berlant is the most cookie-cutter NY society hashtag resistance figure imaginable, and I don't watch Taskmaster to be irritated.

Ron adds a bit of life to the show and I should hate Lisa by all metrics but her shouting at least breaks up the tedium of it all.

There is zero chemistry between Reggie and Alex. In the opening shot it looked like Alex had realised he's made a terrible mistake.

Why did they do this? This isn't what Americans are good at, and bringing Brits into the fold doesn't fix it.

Not for me, won't be continuing.

olliebean

Disappointed that this is starting around the same time as the new series of the UK version. I was hoping one would help to fill in the gaps between series of the other.

RedRevolver

Quote from: notjosh on March 28, 2018, 04:27:53 PM
I reckon he'll be great. I remember enjoying a special feature on one of his DVDs which showed a week in his life and revealed him to be a peculiar, somewhat Bill-Bailey-like character who was engaged in a war of attrition with the stray cats in his garden (trying to put trespasser stickers on them). It's a #dadjoke, but I also enjoyed him yelling "handball" repeatedly whilst watching rugby.

These I've not seen. I just wondered how well he'd do with the other contestants more than anything, he's a fair bit older (forgot Liza was in this so that's a moot point in and of itself). He's a fair bit more devoutly religious (forgot Asim Chaudhry was in this) but frankly, he's no Jeremy so I think, on reflection and in consideration of your comments, he's not really a mystery at all.

God, imagine a Taskmaster with Jeremy Vine and 4 of your least favourite Eggheads.

Mango Chimes

This thread's going to get very confusing if it's about two concurrent series.

bloom

Quote from: Twed on April 28, 2018, 08:17:05 PM
Why did they do this? This isn't what Americans are good at, and bringing Brits into the fold doesn't fix it.

Watched the first two episodes and pretty much agree with this. It's not as horrible as I thought it would be, mind, but not sure I'll be bothering with any more...

First ep of s6 is available to download ahead of time.

olliebean

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on May 02, 2018, 03:58:05 PM
First ep of s6 is available to download ahead of time.

Get in! Downloading it now. This'll do for me, given that my aerial is buggered and there seems to be no easy way to watch Dave online live on my telly screen.