Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:29:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Taskmaster - Series 6

Started by olliebean, February 22, 2018, 10:17:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Morrison Lard

Quote from: olliebean on May 02, 2018, 08:54:10 PM
there seems to be no easy way to watch Dave online live on my telly screen.
The new episodes from the past couple of series
have usually been up on one of the many pirate b*y proxies the next day, gutted of adverts.

jobotic

Hmm. Greg and Alex are funny but this is boring.

Russell Howard is a tedious legend isn't he?

olliebean

Quote from: Morrison Lard on May 02, 2018, 09:07:16 PM
The new episodes from the past couple of series
have usually been up on one of the many pirate b*y proxies the next day, gutted of adverts.

I usually grab them directly from the uktvplay website with youtube-dl.

Utter Shit

Pretty boring opening episode, partially saved by Liza Tarbuck being ace.

DrGreggles

I quite liked the 'find your way back to the house' task.
Looks like Tim and Lisa will be good value. No idea who Alice is, but she seems game enough. Jury's out on the other two.

Yeah, not the strongest opener but Greg and Little Alex Horne were great. I've had a crush on Liza Tarbuck as long as I can remember and Alice and Tim were fun. I think Taskmaster needs contestants with a good imagination and I'm not sold on Russell or Asim.

Endicott

No laughs for Russel Howard's head butt? I mean I hate him as much as anyone but that was hilarious.

lebowskibukowski

I have tried so hard to like this. The friends I have who I normally share a sense of humour with rate it really, really highly, but it just does nothing for me. It all just seems a bit forced. Is it something you need to stick with rather than dipping in and out of?

olliebean

Episode 2 is available, btw, on UKTVPlay and "elsewhere." I assume they're going to put up every episode the week before broadcast. Or maybe they won't. I guess we'll see.

Also there are some outtakes on the UKTV YouTube channel.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: lebowskibukowski on May 03, 2018, 04:07:54 PMI have tried so hard to like this. The friends I have who I normally share a sense of humour with rate it really, really highly, but it just does nothing for me. It all just seems a bit forced. Is it something you need to stick with rather than dipping in and out of?
It's definitely good to watch each series from the start as you get to know the contestants, their personalities and how they tend to approach a task, but really if it hasn't clicked with you after watching a few already then it might not be for you.

Watch series 5, the one with Bob Mortimer and Sally Philips, and if that doesn't amuse you then probably best to concede it's simply not your cup of tea.

Virgo76

Episode 2 much better I think.

chocky909

Haven't seen the new UK series yet but I have just watched eps 1 and 2 of the US version. Man, it's a bit flat isn't it? Reggie Watts who I don't really know apart from some pastiche of Radiohead he does is completely lost in his role and exudes none of the charisma and authority that his role demands. Also the show has been squashed into a 22 minute format which means they never have any time to dwell on the outcome of any of the tasks. Hopefully it'll get better if it gets recommissioned but in the mean time I can't stand Lisa Lampanelli, someone whose name I'd hear in passing on US TV but never seen directly on screen. The only one I like is the black guy on the end. I'll grudgingly watch just for Alex in the states but I'm quite disappointed overall.

Quote from: Virgo76 on May 03, 2018, 09:38:17 PM
Episode 2 much better I think.

Yeah, everyone feels a lot looser and more into it. Loved the grape task.

lebowskibukowski

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on May 03, 2018, 09:19:48 PM

Watch series 5, the one with Bob Mortimer and Sally Philips, and if that doesn't amuse you then probably best to concede it's simply not your cup of tea.

If I don't like the Bob Mortimer one then I should probably give up on the concept of comedy itself

Small Man Big Horse

I quite enjoyed the first episode of S6 but it seems to me to be a step down after the joy of Bob and Sally last series. I'm fond of Lisa and Tim, Alice might be okay, but Howard is a twat and as much as I want to like Asim, he seems to lack any flare or imagination so far. Still, early days and all that, but I do have concerns that ten episodes might be too long a run, especially with this lot.

Utter Shit

I can't help but think there's a lot of pre-judging Russell Howard here based on his past TV work...I don't like his tedious whimsical stand-up any more than the next person, but he was fine on this wasn't he? I mean he didn't really do anything good or bad, he was just sort of there.

I tend to agree that Asim struggled - he has clearly been put into the "guy who's crap at all the tasks" role, but usually that is someone who does them badly in interesting or entertaining ways. Hopefully he does better in future weeks as he seems like a nice bloke.

I can't work out if I find Alice Levine intensely irritating or not. Sometimes she seems like she's right into the fun of the show, but other times she is a bit too knowing and smug above it all.

Liza Tarbuck is the absolute best, I've always found her brilliant since the Big Breakfast days (Vaughan and Tarbuck was the best BB duo, don't @ me). I've found that to generally be the case in Taskmaster, the non-comedians are often the best because they dive into the tasks without being 'on' in quite the same - the bookers get on naturally funny people who have been around comedy and so understand how it works, but who don't have that same pressure to perform that the 'proper' comedians put themselves under. Sally Phillips, Richard Osman, Mel Giedroyc have all been brilliant in that role.

A touch disappointed with Tim Vine, but only in that I thought he would be the perfect contestant and in the first episode he was just decent. Loved the weird scout uniform he had on.

Mango Chimes

I think jobotic's 'tedious legend' is spot on for Howard. I like Alice a lot, whilst the rest are sort of middling around a bit for me at the mo', with the occasional spark from Tim.

Not sure about Greg's glasses.

Wet Blanket

Had - and maybe still have - high hopes for Liza Tarbuck and Tim Vine, but they were a bit bland in that first episode. Agree that Alice Levine seemed a bit too cool for school but I might warm to her as the series progresses - the programme's usually good for bringing out the celebs' real personalities behind the persona. In that respect it looks like Russell Howard's a bawbag in real life too. A fake-tanned had-his-teeth-whitened bawbag by the looks of it, but that might just be my TV. 

Utter Shit

Two episodes in and, sadly, I think this series is just going to be a bit rubbish. Only Liza Tarbuck is providing any entertainment for me so far. I had high hopes for her and Tim Vine, and thought I might enjoy Russell and Asim when they're not on, but so far it's just been a bit bland. It's not terrible, and Greg's bits still make me laugh like a bastard, but it's a big step down from the last few series IMO. Can't quite decide if it's the contestants, the challengers or a bit of both.

imitationleather

It's a real shame this line-up gets ten episodes and not the last lot.

I've only watched episode 1 and I know people are saying that episode 2 is better, but I really can't be bothered. I can just tell this group of people doesn't have an entertaining series of Taskmaster in them.

Watched the third and a step down from episode 2. The adult bedtime story could have been a real winner in previous series but these were mainly half arsed or just plain shit. Tarbuck is ok, Levine has her moments but Howard and Choudhry don't appear to have any imagination whatsoever. I like Tim Vine but he isn't a spontaneous wit so doesn't work too well in the studio bits. Also, it's a bit odd I admit, but I don't like the others swearing in front of him- seems off somehow.

DrGreggles

Virgo76

Quote from: DrGreggles on May 10, 2018, 02:20:01 PM
I think it's fine.

Yes. It's still great at the end of the day.

I think it's fine too. The only real problem is Howard, in the studio bits he seems ok but during the tasks he's full blown 90s lad wanker.

jobotic

Imagine if you went on a stag do and he turned out to be one of your mate's mates.

Bogbrainedmurphy

Goodness me Alice Levine is beautiful.

JesusAndYourBush

How did Russell Howard only score 3 when he got shitloads of darts in the board?

Really struggling with Howard in ep 4. It's like his every instinct is designed to get on my fucking nerves.