Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:11:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Lost in Space (Netflix)

Started by Dex Sawash, February 22, 2018, 05:51:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dex Sawash

https://youtu.be/U_IQ3IbxVV4

Meant to be re-whatevered into serious sci-fi with The Widow Garrett off Deadwood. This'll be shit, I reckon.

bgmnts

Ignatius_S

Ace!

I hadn't heard about a reboot for several hours and was getting concerned that the TV and film was industry might be running out of new ideas.

Small Man Big Horse

The kid's too young I reckon and has the potential to be incredibly annoying, rather than funny and sexy like Bill Mumy was.

NoSleep

Attila

No [series 3] John Williams' theme tune? Meh.

When Mr Attila ran through the series this past autumn/winter, and they finally got to series three with the countdown and hyped up version of the theme tune? I hadn't heard it in maybe 40 years, and it still made me want to race around the room like a 9 year old hopped up on after-school sugar.

NoSleep

Quote from: Attila on February 22, 2018, 07:36:32 PM
No [series 3] John Williams' theme tune? Meh.

There was a musical teaser of the Williams title theme in the final moments of the trailer.

Attila

I did clock that :)

Still hoping for the balls-to-the-wall madness of the full theme.

kidsick5000

Still, it's got Rupert Graves - the classic Why's-he-not-more-famous actor

mothman

I read the synopsis and I just thought, it's going to be like that BBC interstellar-colonisation show, Outcasts was it called?

Dex Sawash

Full trailer out. Some scenes look better than others. Slightly more optimism for this now, this'll be mostly shit I reckon.

https://youtu.be/fzmM0AB60QQ

kidsick5000

Quote from: Dex Sawash on March 07, 2018, 01:46:41 AM
Full trailer out. Some scenes look better than others. Slightly more optimism for this now, this'll be mostly shit I reckon.

https://youtu.be/fzmM0AB60QQ

The score cribs from Interstellar a touch too obviously.
Parker Posey as Dr Smith, eh? Hmm. Will people be disappointed at the loss of some fruity mithering?

Glebe

Quote from: kidsick5000 on March 07, 2018, 06:20:27 AMParker Posey as Dr Smith, eh? Hmm. Will people be disappointed at the loss of some fruity mithering?

Oh right. I was wonder where he (now she!) had got to!

Blake's 7 - which is 40 years young - is ripe for a reboot, get your fingers out telly people.

Dex Sawash

Daughter ran out of gas at 2am, got home and this was up so I watched the first 2. I can see the boy turning full Will Wheaton if they get to a 3rd season. The girls are smart ones, wife'll like it a lot I reckon.

Attila

I wo'nt be able to look at this til I'm back in the UK, but gotta know -- do they use a version of the full-on, sugar fuelled series 3 theme song at any point (beyond musical cues for the geratric amongst us)?

As someone who just bought a Partridge Family lunchbox (to replace the one my sister stole from me), this is an important question.

ta!!

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Attila on April 13, 2018, 01:58:18 PM
I wo'nt be able to look at this til I'm back in the UK, but gotta know -- do they use a version of the full-on, sugar fuelled series 3 theme song at any point (beyond musical cues for the geratric amongst us)?

As someone who just bought a Partridge Family lunchbox (to replace the one my sister stole from me), this is an important question.

ta!!

Similar theme, maybe. More orchestral/ less piccolo-ey

olliebean

There's more of the original S3 LiS theme in the theme for this than there is of the original Star Trek theme in the theme for Discovery.

Just watched E1 - not too impressed. The family are annoying and dull, and the drip-feeding of backstory via flashbacks of them being annoying and dull back on Earth is irritating rather than intriguing. I'm going to give it more of a chance just because I want to see what happens with Parker Posey. But just from the couple of minutes we saw of them, the couple she hooked up with seemed more interesting than the Robinsons. Admittedly it was a low bar, but still...

Attila

Cheers about theme chat -- of course I can find out for myself, but not for a couple of weeks yet. (No idea what the new ST show theme sounds like as I've not seen that; not quite my cup of tea, admittedly).

Alberon

Not watched all of the first episode, but I did skip forward and, quite by chance, caught the cameo. The family is going to get annoying very quickly.

Small Man Big Horse

I've seen the first episode and thought it dragged. It was full of standard disaster movie tropes and bar a couple of the characters I've little interest so far. I'll watch one or two more in the hope Parker Posey and the Robot improve it, but I'm not that optimistic.

Fabian Thomsett

Seen the first three episodes and it's pretty much what I expected - well-made, mildly diverting action-adventure stuff. Don't know if I'll watch any more. Parker Posey and her distinctive haircut are the most interesting things about it.

NoSleep

It's like a family-friendly Battleship Galactica with Parker Posey as Gaius Baltar (granted, Baltar borrowed heavily from Dr. Zachary Smith), 1 Cylon, and we're only seeing from the viewpoint of a single family onboard.

An exhausting and unfeasible (even for mindless sci-fi TV) number of brink points so far (3.5 episodes in, fell asleep during the 4th) although Judy's PTSD was one result of one of these, which was an interesting turn.

Attila

Whooops -- onthe one hand, managed to smash into Mr Attila's Netflix account to take a peek at Ep 1, skipped ahead to the final credits to hear the theme song, and accidently saw the cameo credit.

Ah well, something to put onthe tablet for the flight back, as I didn't get far enough into the first episode to see Parker Posey (although enough to see that I suspect that I will be rooting for the bad guys against the drippy family every episode...)

Dex Sawash

The "how they got lost in space" back story has surpassed the one in  Far Out Space Nuts but is not as funny.

kidsick5000

The biggest misstep is that Dr Smith has no use. Just a villain with no redeeming features.
Even in previous versions, or indeed BSG, the sneaky ones still had some purpose that balanced the selfishness.

There is absolutely no reason to put up with her crap this time round. So a lot of the time you just wish that they'd find out the truth so that they can get rid asap

I do like Toby Stevens though, and the cast is good. It's just a tad more drab than I hoped for.

Edit: They've only gone and made the whole thing an origin story!!

Attila

Quote from: Dex Sawash on April 14, 2018, 01:34:46 PM
The "how they got lost in space" back story has surpassed the one in  Far Out Space Nuts but is not as funny.

ZOMG -- Is Bob Denver (or his dessicated corpse) in this? Ok, that would redeem what I've seen so far.

(I watched only the first 10 mins or so of episode 1 until I realised it's one of those shows that saves the credits/theme song completely til the end and skipped ahead. I probably will go back and watch it -- I got as far as them on the first planet and suddenly it was Christmas then jumped to the end.)

I gather no one turns into a giant carrot in this series.

purlieu

[tag]Smoke Monster pushes Jack out of an airlock[/tag]

Dex Sawash

Episode 3 has proper opening credits with theme

NoSleep

Quote from: kidsick5000 on April 14, 2018, 02:16:46 PM
The biggest misstep is that Dr Smith has no use. Just a villain with no redeeming features.
Even in previous versions, or indeed BSG, the sneaky ones still had some purpose that balanced the selfishness.

What was Dr Smith's purpose in the original series? He starts out as a (paid) saboteur of the mission who gets stuck on board, so is his purpose to first abort the sabotage and then return to Earth (i.e. personal survival)?

Baltar does not foresee the result of his personal greed before it's too late, so there's an interesting battle going on in his conscience compared the Dr Smiths, but I don't really see much difference between Dr Smith 1 and Dr Smith 3 in terms of purpose (self-interest) after the initial premise for being on board. I'd say the worst thing about Dr Smith 3 is that she plays a pretty bad (i.e. insane) hand for somebody who initially wants to escape to a far-off colony; SPOILER in fact making a complete turnaround to having the highest profile and dominating the colony with her new robot friend.

Attila

Quote from: Dex Sawash on April 17, 2018, 04:51:21 PM
Episode 3 has proper opening credits with theme

Cool! Deffo going to hit that up in a couple of days when i'm back in a place where I have better access to media (at the moment, I'm about 30 miles or so from Intercourse, PA, as a reference point and cross-reference to another thread.)