Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 07:01:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

First they came for the right wing bloggers...

Started by biggytitbo, February 23, 2018, 08:28:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funcrusher

biggytitbo

Yeah he peddles extremist theories like the terrorists we back in Syria sometimes stage gas attacks to blame on Assad.

ieXush2i

ajsmith2

Jimmy Dore's show seems no bad to me in terms of offering some kind of left leaning opposition with little tolerance for centrist platitudes. Better than the Young Turks at least. And for better or worse, he spat directly into Alex Jones face that one time.

I did lose quite a bit of respect for him when he did a bit covering a viral video of cows getting let out of a barn and running around with joy and he was treating it like some kind of paradigm shifting revelation to consider that farm animals might have some level of sentience, like he'd never even considered this in all his 40 odd years. A reminder that just cos you know a fair bit in one 'field' doesn't mean you're anything more than a beginner dunce in other 'fields'.

Funcrusher

Quote from: (Ex poster) on April 20, 2018, 02:42:14 PM
Is he being silenced?

He's being grouped in with neo-nazis and white supremacists in that article. So anything short of being actually silenced is okay I guess.

biggytitbo

Makes you wonder exactly why a multi billion dollar global corporation is lobbying so hard against a few people on youtube doesn't it? If they get someone like Dore's channel demonetised then he may struggled to survive, or at least with the frequently and relative professionalism that he does now.

As CNN, the BBC, the Guardian et al become more slavish in their promotion and support of establishment narratives they oddly seem to find trust and support in their brands crumbling - weird that they can't see any connection isn't it?

I mean look at the onslaught against less than a dozen people questioning the UK/US position in Syria in recent weeks, starting with the guardian, then an actual front page of the times attacking 3 academics, a smear job on the BBC, another hit piece in the Huffington Post. It's all the same thing, the dog-whistle about neo nazis is just the thin end of the wedge of what they're trying to do - which is to entrench their msm mouthpieces as the only source of information, to control the news agenda and terms of the debate, so as to manipulate what people think.

Can't do that when more young people are watching a video on youtube about how the white helmets are phonies than are watching a bbc report about how great they are.

Barry Admin

Just seems like a news organisation reporting news, to be honest. They briefly mention "far-left" Jimmy Dore to give some kind of balance.

biggytitbo

Or they mention him to smear him as the same as neo-nazis, extremists, paedos etc.  That is literally how they see anyone who questions their war propaganda though.

Funcrusher

I guess what concerns me is how easy it is to throw any non-mainstream views under the heading of extremism. It's in the same ballpark as Greenpeace being a terrorist organisation.

ieXush2i

Quote from: ajsmith2 on April 20, 2018, 02:50:49 PM
Jimmy Dore's show seems no bad to me in terms of offering some kind of left leaning opposition With little tolerance for centrist platitudes. Better than the Young Turks at least. And for better or worse, he spat directly into Alex Jones face that one time.

I did lose quite a bit of respect for him when he did a bit covering a viral video of cows getting let out of a barn and running around with joy and he was treating it like some kind of paradigm shifting revelation to consider that farm animals might have some level of sentience, like he'd never even considered this in all his 40 odd years. A reminder that just cos you know a fair bit in one 'field' doesn't mean you're anything more than a beginner dunce in other 'fields'.

I used to listen to Comedy and Everything Else a decade ago, but gave it up after Jimmy and Steph insisted one of those bird kill events were evidence of conspiracy, then when it was pointed out that they are natural and common it shifted to a conspiracy about not reporting on every single one...

Now he's a full-throated anti-Hillary type who subscribes to stuff like the Seth Rich junk. Sam Seder wipes the floor with him here: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SH_pgiRdm7U

ieXush2i

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 20, 2018, 04:10:48 PM
Or they mention him to smear him as the same as neo-nazis, extremists, paedos etc.  That is literally how they see anyone who questions their war propaganda though.

No, it's because he trots out the same conspirashite as neo-nazis and extremists (your paedo claim is mere histrionics). He tarred himself with the same brush.

And thanks for confirming you don't think he's being silenced Crusssshhhhh. Biggy still seems to think he's being silenced, even though he isnt at all.

biggytitbo

Jimmy Dores showcases  a lot of good anti war content so I don't care if he has the occasional silly conspiracy theory, he's up again as a mainstream  media that is drowning in a pool of it's own increasingly kooky conspiracy theories about evil Russians being behind literally everything in the world. It's not like it's just Dore, I've really never seen anything like the last few weeks for such a concerted coordinated attack on alternative voices by mainstream media, its absolutely chilling.

ieXush2i

If he's confidently asserting falsehoods, that indicates a low quality standard of "news". Which it isn't as far as I can see, it's a bloke commenting on the news.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

It's struck me the poem referenced in the title here, the intent behind it is to say "if you don't care about anyone other than yourself and people like you, one day you'll be next and with no-one to defend you"

That's an incredibly high threshold to be applying which hasn't been reached. That if we don't leap to the defence of right wing bloggers it illustrates a complete incapacity of solidarity and empathy. I don't think it does.

biggytitbo

He's not the news as far as I can see, he's  man campaigning for a certain political philosophy. We don't need you or CNN to protect us from his 'falsehoods' thanks.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on April 20, 2018, 06:15:07 PM
It's struck me the poem referenced in the title here, the intent behind it is to say "if you don't care about anyone other than yourself and people like you, one day you'll be next and with no-one to defend you"

That's an incredibly high threshold to be applying which hasn't been reached. That if we don't leap to the defence of right wing bloggers it illustrates a complete incapacity of solidarity and empathy. I don't think it does.

I think the unprecedented attack the last few weeks on anti activists, academics and journalists shows we've moved way beyond defending right wing bloggers. Although I maintain as far as the establishment corporate media are concerned they don't really care about the distinction anyway.

ieXush2i

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 20, 2018, 06:16:30 PM
He's not the news as far as I can see, he's  man campaigning for a certain political philosophy. We don't need you or CNN to protect us from his 'falsehoods' thanks.

And Youtube and their advertisers don't have to pay a whackjob who spreads falsehoods if they don't want. Free market for you I guess.

Funcrusher

Quote from: (Ex poster) on April 20, 2018, 05:45:09 PM
No, it's because he trots out the same conspirashite as neo-nazis and extremists (your paedo claim is mere histrionics). He tarred himself with the same brush.

The CNN article lists paedophiles along with white supremacists etc.

ieXush2i

Quote from: Funcrusher on April 20, 2018, 06:25:35 PM
The CNN article lists paedophiles along with white supremacists etc.

Yes, they're all examples of stuff advertisers don't want to touch with a bargepole. Conspirashite is another thing they don't want to touch, especially from a Truther JFK Hillary has secret Parkinson's Vegas Shooting Was Fishy Just Asking Questions bloke who bows to gut-based option bias rather than research and critical thought.

If Dore hadn't wanked on all about this stuff then maybe advertisers wouldn't be taking their branding off his show. He tarred himself.

Incidentally he still has the show, he just gets less clueless money for it.

biggytitbo

Weird how the vast revolving door of pundits, commentators and opinion formers who are constantly on the telly and writing articles in the papers promoting whatever the empires latest warmongering propoganda is, never have any trouble getting work and money and exposure do they?

You know, people who where wrong about literally every foreign policy issue ever, who have supported policies that have killed millions on people, then shamelessly do it again, they aren't the problem are they? No its Jimmy Dore, a few academics complaining about Syria coverage and some bloggers.

ieXush2i

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 20, 2018, 06:33:51 PM
Weird how the vast revolving door of pundits, commentators and opinion formers who are constantly on the telly and writing articles in the papers promoting whatever the empires latest warmongering propoganda is, never have any trouble getting work and money and exposure do they?

You know, people who where wrong about literally every foreign policy issue ever, who have supported policies that have killed millions on people, then shamelessly do it again, they aren't the problem are they? No its Jimmy Dore, a few academics complaining about Syria coverage and some bloggers.

I thought you hated whataboutery?

biggytitbo

Comparing things isn't 'whataboutery', something you appear incapable of understanding.

marquis_de_sad

In discussions of newspapers, I'm used to the power that advertisers have over content being talked about in mainly negative terms. Not sure why it's being spun as good when it happens on Youtube. CNN is naturally focusing on the political angle, but Youtube is demonetising content in a draconian manner on their platform in the name of appeasing advertisers. Again, not sure why this is a good thing, nor why we should be satisfied with the sop that they're a private company and can do what they like.

biggytitbo

Warrants mention in here too, after unprecedented neocon msm smear campaign Leeds City Council cave into pressure and cancel media on trial event which was to explore media bias in Syrian war coverage. On world press freedom day too. And this is the same country where a journalist is effectively imprisoned in the Ecuadorian  embassy in complete isolation from the outside world for publishing evidence of government wrongdoing.

newbridge

Quote from: biggytitbo on May 03, 2018, 09:28:48 PM
where a journalist is effectively imprisoned in the Ecuadorian  embassy in complete isolation from the outside world for publishing evidence of government wrongdoing.

Except for the testimony of multiple women who credibly accuse him of sexual assault?

manticore

Quote from: (Ex poster) on April 20, 2018, 05:40:29 PM
Now he's a full-throated anti-Hillary type

Why is that a problem? Do you disagree with the left opposition to Clinton?

Jimmy Dore is a self-described 'jagoff nightclub comedian' who does genuinely left wing commentary and is often very perceptive and has pointed me to all sorts of interesting subjects and issues but just sometimes is also really stupid and credulous. He is not 'complete cobblers'.

He's very good on debunking the Russiamania conspiracy theories 'peddled' as they say, by respectable news organisations like CNN. Is CNN going to be deprived of revenue?

biggytitbo

Quote from: newbridge on May 03, 2018, 11:39:47 PM
Except for the testimony of multiple women who credibly accuse him of sexual assault?

All charges were dropped, he's imprisoned there to avoid been blackholed in quantanamo by the Americans.

biggytitbo

Not content with trying to shut down youtube channels, the mockingbird media are after amazon and netflix - https://slate.com/technology/2018/05/the-insidious-conspiracy-theory-documentaries-on-netflix-and-amazon-prime.html

TLDR, basically a rehash of the usual feeble conspiracy theory article that crops up repeatedly in the mainstream media, same old patronising cod psychology - we can't can't handle the messy world so look for 'easy' answers, we can't think for ourselves so need protecting from the menace of alternative ideas.

What should definitely happen is we get Snopes -'everyone who dares question the psychopath neocon propaganda over Syria is an Assad/Putin apologist' - .com to decide for us what we are and aren't allowed to watch, that would be a utopia of free thinking scepticism wouldn't it?

Paul Calf

It's not trying to 'shut down' anything. It's pointing to the enormous quantity of shit documentaries on streaming services. Of the examples they picked, I can't really disagree with any of them.

biggytitbo

Who gets to decide what is a 'shit' documentary? This is the same flaw in all these stupid boilerplate conspiracy theory articles.

Also, ironically the article ends on its own conspiracy theory. Why shouldn't I decide their conspiracy theory is bullshit and dismiss their entire article?