Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:02:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Mute (2018, Duncan Jones new film)

Started by Small Man Big Horse, February 23, 2018, 01:22:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kidsick5000

Quote from: phantom_power on March 06, 2018, 06:18:34 PM
A slightly more forgiving view:

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/duncan-jones-mute/55551/more-than-darkness-exploring-duncan-joness-mute

Ha. I was just about to post "Remember when this thread was about Mute?"

Only scanned through so far, but were the reviews hostile? Most I read were more disappointed rather than attacking.

phantom_power

They weren't hostile, but they were mostly bad.

I didn't like the film much when I first saw it but it has stayed with me and I think I like it the more I think about it. Now the shock of how dark it is and how horrible most of the characters are. I still don't think it is a great film but I think in time it will go down as an interesting curio rather than a straight up dud. It certainly has plenty of ambition

kidsick5000

Quote from: phantom_power on March 07, 2018, 09:17:01 AM
They weren't hostile, but they were mostly bad.

I didn't like the film much when I first saw it but it has stayed with me

Yeah. I feel close to giving it a second watch. I'm not sure my verdict will switch from bad to good, but it looms in my mind.

phantom_power

I think in time I will view it like Southland Tales, another critical punchbag that I like quite a bit for sheer ambition if nothing else

SteveDave

This felt weirdly weightless. The peril was mild and I didn't care about anyone.

Shaky

Have to echo the thoughts that this was a mess but in the end I liked it more than I didn't... which I guess is some sort of praise. Rudd & Theroux's twisted riff on M.A.S.H. worked well even if it had only a threadbare reason to even be in the film. I didn't care much about Skarsgård and his quest until the final third when suddenly it clicked and I genuinely wanted to see where things went. I agree that the cyberpunk world could have been better realised but it wasn't terrible and there were still some lovely shots. I think it worked that this future world is just sort of "there" and we're supposed to go along with it.

So yeah... it would be a shame if this scuppers Jones' career once again as it certainly had it's heart in the right place and it's miles ahead of Warcraft.

phantom_power

I think the darkness took everyone by surprise but is actually a lot of what the film is about.