Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:57:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Cycling 2018 (incorporating your own bike chat)

Started by Norton Canes, February 26, 2018, 11:09:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norton Canes

Kicked off the season with the gentle 3-county meander that is the Lune RCC Coal Road Challenge 2018

Nice crisp Sunday, vestiges of snow on the tops, Coal Road itself is a bit of a wall but convex, all front-stacked, get over the first 18% stretch and you're sailing. Took the rest nice and leisurely, the cobbles in Dent were a bit of an unwelcome surprise though.

poo

Norton Canes

Bad right hip here, been getting more uncomfortable (i.e. painful) over the last six months or so. Got a feeling it signals the end of days. (of cycling days that is) 

doppelkorn

Just spent the winter building more bikes but not riding them. Why? I have nine bikes. Moving to Manchester very soon anyway.

etc...

Anyone done the Dorset Gravel Dash?

studpuppet

Picked up a racing trike (always wanted one) last month. Looking to do the Dun Run and Eroica Britannia on it (need a second chainring on it first!):

poo

Quote from: doppelkorn on February 26, 2018, 12:49:27 PM
Just spent the winter building more bikes but not riding them. Why? I have nine bikes. Moving to Manchester very soon anyway.

Trust you'll be SSing that

poo

Quote from: studpuppet on February 26, 2018, 01:12:44 PM
Picked up a racing trike (always wanted one) last month. Looking to do the Dun Run and Eroica Britannia on it (need a second chainring on it first!):

Weight?

studpuppet

Quote from: poo on February 26, 2018, 02:53:34 PM

Weight?

Light for an early seventies trike, but tricky to get on the scales so no idea...

doppelkorn

I'm doing that Spesh 1x7 because I found some old Deore DX brifters in the bins of my flat but the front one got broken when I took it apart to clean it and couldn't put it back together.

That trike is skill. I was behind an old boy on something similar (actually it was probably 90s) the other week on the commute home. Don't often see them outside of the beard and ginger nuts audax crowd.

Dex Sawash

love the 3 grams saved drilling holes in the trike seat post

Norton Canes

Quote from: doppelkorn on February 26, 2018, 08:48:53 PM
I'm doing that Spesh 1x7 because I found some old Deore DX brifters in the bins of my flat but the front one got broken when I took it apart to clean it and couldn't put it back together.

That trike is skill. I was behind an old boy on something similar (actually it was probably 90s) the other week on the commute home. Don't often see them outside of the beard and ginger nuts audax crowd

Chairman Bodog appears to have hacked your account

poo

Facing the real prospect of not being able to ride "properly" again. WTF am I going to do? Now I understand the existence of ramblers and golfers.

doppelkorn

That's a shitter poo.

What's wrong with your knee?

Dr Syntax Head

I will be relying on bike to earn me some money over the next few weeks. Paid to ride bike? In this weather not so nice but spring is a coming.

I now live down in west Cornwall right on the doorstep of my favourite cycle route, the Penwith coast road. Going to be spending a lot of time bombing around that this summer.

I ride one of these but I swapped out the wheels for narrower road bike wheels, for speed but not so good for urban riding unfortunately.

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: poo on February 27, 2018, 09:47:06 AM
Facing the real prospect of not being able to ride "properly" again. WTF am I going to do? Now I understand the existence of ramblers and golfers.

I once broke my ankle but had to get out of the house for a walk. On crutches I walked about 6 or 7 miles over a country park gaining much respect from the rambling community. For a day there, I was a hero.

poo

Quote from: doppelkorn on February 27, 2018, 11:37:39 AM
That's a shitter poo.

What's wrong with your knee?

Chondromalacia patella. Might be going eFat sooner than planned.

Mr Banlon

Mr Banlon

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on February 28, 2018, 02:54:05 PM
Mag wheels on a BMX. Always.
Mags flex too much when you're above a certain weight/age.

Brian Freeze

I really really miss commuting in this sort of weather. Home made studded tyres and a real sense of jeopardy as to how it was going to go. I'm now a fanny in a car most of the time. Magic when I can leave it at home.

Was someone going Dalbeattie last year?

studpuppet

Quote from: Dex Sawash on February 26, 2018, 09:20:01 PM
love the 3 grams saved drilling holes in the trike seat post

It plays tunes too, if you cycle into the wind.

I haven't ridden a bike for twenty years (now 35), and was looking at dumping about £200 on a hybrid for the occasional commute/ leisure ride.

Any recommendations? I visited a local independent shop and was recommended a used Carrera that seemed to be nearly as expensive as some that they are selling new in Halfords. Any advice greatfully received as otherwise I'm going to just bung a wedge at Halfords once the snow passes.

studpuppet

Quote from: Mr Banlon on February 28, 2018, 01:31:01 PM
I'm 48 and still ride BMXs

Mate. My friend from primary school is 46 and still MAKING A LIVING riding BMXs...

http://www.robalton.com/index.html

Norton Canes

Quote from: Brian Freeze on March 01, 2018, 04:27:56 AMWas someone going Dalbeattie last year?

Me, with Spawn of Canes 2. Went for two nights, had a brilliant day on the Dalbeattie course - managed the entire red route, though we had to dismount for some of the red obstacles (me more than my son). The black obstacles were far too fearsome. Also 25km was a long slog in the hot weather (Hot weather! Did such a thing exist?) especially as we ran out of water half way. Can recommend Gorsebank camp site if you're up there, it's just down the road and has everything from open pitches to glamping pods and hot tubs.

gilbertharding

Quote from: drummersaredeaf on March 01, 2018, 01:57:58 PM
I haven't ridden a bike for twenty years (now 35), and was looking at dumping about £200 on a hybrid for the occasional commute/ leisure ride.

Any recommendations? I visited a local independent shop and was recommended a used Carrera that seemed to be nearly as expensive as some that they are selling new in Halfords. Any advice greatfully received as otherwise I'm going to just bung a wedge at Halfords once the snow passes.

People will tell you all kinds of horror stories about Halfords - but I'm here to tell you not to worry about it. You know - I'm sure there are complete idiots working there, but as long as you're OK yourself with a spanner, what's the worst that could happen?

Likewise, the bikes themselves are perfectly fine. I was in a similar situation to you about 8 years ago - and on the dole - so the best bike I could afford was a Carrera hybrid/road. I've since upgraded it with better wheels, drop bars, better groupset etc, but it's still my only bike. I did more than 1000km on it last year (not much to brag about, by some standards, I know - but I also RAN nearly 1000km). I'll get something decent one day, but until then.

Quote from: gilbertharding on March 01, 2018, 03:13:09 PM
People will tell you all kinds of horror stories about Halfords - but I'm here to tell you not to worry about it. You know - I'm sure there are complete idiots working there, but as long as you're OK yourself with a spanner, what's the worst that could happen?

Likewise, the bikes themselves are perfectly fine. I was in a similar situation to you about 8 years ago - and on the dole - so the best bike I could afford was a Carrera hybrid/road. I've since upgraded it with better wheels, drop bars, better groupset etc, but it's still my only bike. I did more than 1000km on it last year (not much to brag about, by some standards, I know - but I also RAN nearly 1000km). I'll get something decent one day, but until then.

Thanks for this.

I saw a Carrera Gryphon at my local shop for £165, which seemed over-priced, and only had 2x8 gears, which worried me given a relatively poor base fitness. I'm estimating it will be 5-10 years old from my searches. I can get a Carrera Axle for £180 new (supposedly down from £330), which I figure will be similarly good, and also have more years left in it. I'm pretty handy with a set of tools, plus have access to a mobile repair man for free at work. Inclined to pull the trigger this weekend.

jobotic

Halfords are a mixed bag. Completely depends on who they hire. Mine used to be great but last few visits have been disasters - although always ended up with everything done for free as they have had the bike for so fucking long. They used to be great though.

Nothing to suggest there's anything wrong with their bikes though. If you have a Decathlon near you I'd try them too - have only bought a kid's bike in there but I'm really pleased with what we got for the money. 

poo

Can someone tell me what to think about the Wiggins "doping" affair? Can't be arsed with reading into it.

doppelkorn

Neither can I but I read a bit of another forum and some people are like "ah they're all at it cycling is dirty but enjoyable" and some are like "Sky didn't break any rules but they crossed a moral line". Basically I don't think I know any more than you.

Sagan = clean though must be