Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:31:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Cycling 2018 (incorporating your own bike chat)

Started by Norton Canes, February 26, 2018, 11:09:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doppelkorn

Yeah the D10/1 was on my list (I think at least two clubs do midweek 10s on it) but didn't manage to actually do one this year.

Got my arse absolutely handed to me at Leverhulme Park (CX) last week. I thought I came last but it was actually second-last, once results were published. Did it single-speed, which wasn't perhaps a great idea (but it's all I got).

Norton Canes

Fed up with spending all winter cleaning crud out of mech, bought a Specialized Langster off eBay for my commute:

It's got a 16t sprocket and I'm replacing the 40t chainring with a 48t to stop me spinning out. Nice and light, should make those January mornings more bearable.

Dex Sawash

Popped a pair of tubes in the tandem from last page... popped the rear one when I pinched it due to hurrying too much. As buzby predicted, rear axle is bent a little.

Can I just ignore the bent axle for a little while? Wife and I will probably only slowly ride on railroad converted to asphalt trail so no grinding up steeps to make it worse.

Should I flip axle so bend is on other side, or Is the axle probably asymmetric?

Would a normal bike or MTB rear wheel work (losing the drum brake, obvs)? There is a ton of discarded kit that was upgraded in the dumpster we share with the bike shop.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Anyone got any advice regarding spokes? Picked up a second hand Trek hybrid. It had three broken spokes between the two wheels. I've dropped it in twice now to Halfords for repair. Just noticed another has gone. I don't bunny hop and am quite careful. It's costing me about 30 a time to get replaced so if they all go I'll end up spending over a grand. Are the wheels fucked or is there something (tighter/stronger spokes?) that can be done to prevent this? Would replacing them all be a better solution?

buzby

Quote from: Dex Sawash on November 19, 2018, 01:12:07 PM
Popped a pair of tubes in the tandem from last page... popped the rear one when I pinched it due to hurrying too much. As buzby predicted, rear axle is bent a little.

Can I just ignore the bent axle for a little while? Wife and I will probably only slowly ride on railroad converted to asphalt trail so no grinding up steeps to make it worse.

Should I flip axle so bend is on other side, or Is the axle probably asymmetric?
Riding on the bent axle will eventually ruin the bearing surfaces in the hub (if it's not already ruined). The axles are asymmetric, so can't be swapped round. This thread on bikeforums talks about using the replacement moped axle:
https://www.bikeforums.net/tandem-cycling/1014266-solution-vintage-atom-hub.html
This is the axle in question:
http://www.treatland.tv/olympia-11mm-loose-bearing-axle-p/olympia-11mm-axle-180mm-55067.htm
It will only work if your hub is one of the later ones with the 11mm axle. If it's an early one with the 10mm axle is means having to drill out the inner static plate that holds the brake shoes to 11mm and use smaller ball bearings.
Would a normal bike or MTB rear wheel work (losing the drum brake, obvs)? There is a ton of discarded kit that was upgraded in the dumpster we share with the bike shop.
Tandem hubs and wheels are normally built beefier to cope with the extra weight they have to carry - stronger rims, bigger axles and hubs with taller flanges and more spokes (for instance, the rear wheel with the Atom hub has 40 spokes instead of 32 or 36 like a standard bike). The extra spokes are required to support the weight of the extra rider, and the taller flanges mean shorter spokes which makes the wheel stiffer. Tandems frames usually have a wider axle spacing for the rear hub than standard too.

Dex Sawash

Thanks! It is 11mm, I'll look at the cups 8n the hubs. Would've guessed that axle would mean ordering from EU stock of poorly inventoried moped shop (like most things I bought for my kitted Vespa Ciao/Grande mashup moped). I bought some shit from treatland before.

Bobtoo

Quote from: Depressed Beyond Tables on November 19, 2018, 01:22:39 PM
Anyone got any advice regarding spokes? Picked up a second hand Trek hybrid. It had three broken spokes between the two wheels. I've dropped it in twice now to Halfords for repair. Just noticed another has gone. I don't bunny hop and am quite careful. It's costing me about 30 a time to get replaced so if they all go I'll end up spending over a grand. Are the wheels fucked or is there something (tighter/stronger spokes?) that can be done to prevent this? Would replacing them all be a better solution?

I think you need to give it to a proper wheel builder and not Halfords. There's something not right about the tension, you need someone who knows what they're doing to sort it out.

buzby

Quote from: Depressed Beyond Tables on November 19, 2018, 01:22:39 PM
Take it to a local bike shop that can rebuild wheels and get a quote to have them respoked. It should cost you less than £100 per wheel for a rebuild with new spokes and nipples. My experience of broken spokes is that once one goes they will all gradually start to go as they have either reached their fatigue life or the broken spoke then increases the loads on the surrounding and opposite spokes, creating a cascade failure effect. It doesn't help if you or the previous owner are on the large side either (in which case it might be worth using heavy duty spokes on the rebuild), as wheels are usually built to a weight limit.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Quote from: buzby on November 19, 2018, 02:14:02 PM
Take it to a local bike shop that can rebuild wheels and get a quote to have them respoked. It should cost you less than £100 per wheel for a rebuild with new spokes and nipples. My experience of broken spokes is that once one goes they will all gradually start to go as they have either reached their fatigue life or the broken spoke then increases the loads on the surrounding and opposite spokes, creating a cascade failure effect. It doesn't help if you or the previous owner are on the large side either (in which case it might be worth using heavy duty spokes on the rebuild), as wheels are usually built to a weight limit.

Halfords have replaced and built the wheel so far. Should I just go to them or are they muck?

buzby

Quote from: Depressed Beyond Tables on November 19, 2018, 02:36:17 PM
Halfords have replaced and built the wheel so far. Should I just go to them or are they muck?
I doubt they have the skills or experience to rebuild an entire wheel properly, and the prices they are charging you to replace single spokes are way over the top - I dread to think how much they would charge for a full wheel. A good local bike shop should have someone who can do wheel rebuilds (or point you in the direction of somewhere that can).

Depressed Beyond Tables

Quote from: buzby on November 19, 2018, 03:19:52 PM
I doubt they have the skills or experience to rebuild an entire wheel properly, and the prices they are charging you to replace single spokes are way over the top - I dread to think how much they would charge for a full wheel. A good local bike shop should have someone who can do wheel rebuilds (or point you in the direction of somewhere that can).

Dropped it in for a consultation. Long story short, new wheel. Cheers.

Norton Canes

So, anyone else missed out on the Prudential 100 ballot? Had an envelope through the post yesterday, all marked up "Prudential 100", thought yes! this is it! 'cause the last couple of years I've been told by email. But no, they're sending out brochures this year with all the rejections with details of which charidees still have spaces.

Oh well. It said the earliest start time slots are 5:45am! I'd have had to be up at 3am to get ready and get across London from my nearest friends' house.

Yes I know this is the 2018 thread.