Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:14:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Metal Gear Solid V [split topic]

Started by AsparagusTrevor, February 26, 2018, 12:15:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zetetic

I think, overall, it's a bit of a shame that Quiet's presentation is quite so puerile and embarrassing.

Not much of a opinion, I'll admit.

magval

I remember there being a lot of criticism for how she looked in the run up to the game, and after a while Hideo made a statement to clarify that there was a perfectly good reason for why she's got next to no clothes on all the damn time. Some interesting character-based thing maybe. Theories abound. Reclaiming her sexuality after an assault. Transexual perhaps.

Then the game comes out. Turns out she needs to photosynthesize.

bgmnts

Quote from: Zetetic on March 06, 2018, 05:03:49 PM
I think, overall, it's a bit of a shame that Quiet's presentation is quite so puerile and embarrassing.

Not much of a opinion, I'll admit.

It is at least explained in game as practical.

H-O-W-L

It's a shit excuse. Especially since The End also photosynthesized, and he just had a special suit that let him do it.

bgmnts

The End CAN photosynthesise if he wants, Quiet needs to to survive doesn't she?

It's still all bollocks, it's Metal Gear, but I assumed that was the reason.

H-O-W-L

Nah, the End survived purely via photosynthesis. He had moss growing in him.

Shay Chaise

Afghanistan and fuckin Kenya or whatever are really hot. That's another rock solid narrative justification.

Thursday

Quote from: bgmnts on March 07, 2018, 02:37:21 PM
It is at least explained in game as practical.

It's literally the worst explanation for anything ever though.

Would have had a lot more respect for Koj if he just admitted he wanted some wanking material. Like Yoko Taro did.

Zetetic

I don't even think she's completely uninteresting as a character (which combined with her utility as a mechanic is why I have a butterfly in my logo) , and nor am I - even as a Neo-Puritan - completely averse to some player-service wankfodder.

But ultimately I think that somehow makes it a little worse and, overall, it's just a bit much really.

bgmnts

As long as you're all ashamed of your words and deeds, tis all gravy.

Shay Chaise

I am not ashamed of enjoying the character or the way she looks. I found the resolution of her story really affecting and I reflected on how much of a relationship I'd built with her and how much I'd come to rely on her. It's basically the same point that Brothers built an entire game around. My wife saw me playing it, just as Quiet was splashing around in the puddles and we both pissed ourselves laughing. It's a truly absurd video game, which explores some complex and uncomfortable ideas, usually with a sledgehammer. It's not fuckin Flaubert. I like the excess. It's a masterpiece in excess.

Zetetic

I think I'll also put Flaubert under 'a bit much'.

bgmnts

Honestly I think the Beauty and the Beast corps are worse than Quiet.

Shay Chaise

Quote from: Zetetic on March 07, 2018, 08:40:49 PM
I think I'll also put Flaubert under 'a bit much'.

Same here, it's excess of the mundane but it is forgivably Realism. MGSV is - forgivably - not.

Zetetic

I'd hope it's fairly clear that I don't have an issue with the silliness, the excess and the playing around and on-top of reality in the Metal Gear. At the same time, gesturing towards these things doesn't justify simply anything to me.

I don't see how this can be anything other than matter of taste regarding absurdity (to borrow your term) and what ends up feeling a bit hollow. I suppose we could argue about whether Quiet's really any different from any other aspect we chose to pick on - but I guess that'd come back to what we saw as relevant and what we didn't.

Edit: I'm not sure if this is a cop-out on my part. I'm not enraged or think that she's totally at odds with the rest of the game or anything even vaguely like that. I just think that the final balance regarding here is... a bit much, even in the context of 'excess'.

Shay Chaise

It's 'problematic' for you, in short.

Blue Jam

This is one of the Games With Gold for May...

bgmnts

Aye.

May be due for a replay so I can get incredibly disappointed all over again!

Timothy

How so? This is one of the best stealth games ever made.

bgmnts

Quote from: Timothy on April 25, 2018, 03:07:46 PM
How so? This is one of the best stealth games ever made.

Its no Chaos Theory or Snake Eater but yeah its up there.

I just meant storywise.

Blue Jam

Enjoying this now but fucking hell, that opening is interminable. So many cutscenes... and while I suspect that developers think seemlessly blending sections of gameplay into cutscenes is a technical achievement, personally I find that nothing pulls me out of immersion more than finding my controller suddenly doesn't do anything. Been having this problem with Metro: Redux too. Just let me play the fucking game already...

I'm usually one for stories and details that flesh out the world of a game, but I found myself hitting "SKIP" at them all by the end of that intro.

Also what was the thing where you get to choose your character's new face, only for the hospital to come under attack before the plastic surgeon can get to work? That would have been a funny joke... if the checkpoint had been after it rather than before. And I hadn't managed to compile what looked like the face of Ding Junhhi with the eyes of David Bowie.

Glad I persevered though as I'm really enjoying it now. Maybe this is a stupid thing to say, but the Afghanistan bit feels somewhere between Deus Ex and PUBG- tense but agarophobic, with the freedom to explore for as long as you can stay hidden. Part of me wishes I could create save points as I usually hate checkpoint systems, but I'm actually enjoying having to go back to the start of the mission and try a new strategy, bearing in mind the guards' trajectories, the position of searchlights, etc. It's a damn good stealth game. Bastard hard too, but I have yet to don the chicken hat.

Consignia

I think the game really gets it's character once you nick some 80's tapes, and get your escape chopper to play A-Ha as you limp out of a tough mission with pseudo-zombie soldiers on your tail.

If you've never played any other Metal Gear Solid games, much of it - and the serious silly tone - will be confusing and largely lost on you, but it's worth persevering simply for the gameplay. I'd watch the cutscenes because once you're into it, there are relatively few but some of them will be like nothing you've ever seen, an insane mash up of scathing, almost nihilistic political satire and some simply indescribable madness. And some boring bollocks. Try to see it as funny, for the most part, because Kojima is extremely playful and often trolling. That opening is almost unjustifiable but it's actually very significant and the contrast between that restriction and the colossal choice and freedom now available is a wonderful feeling.

asids

Quote from: Blue Jam on June 06, 2018, 08:46:47 PM
I'm usually one for stories and details that flesh out the world of a game, but I found myself hitting "SKIP" at them all by the end of that intro.

You should play MGS 4 then. There definitely never is an occurence of 5 minutes of gameplay bookended by half hour cutscenes in that, and in the latter parts of the game it certainly does not become 80% cutscene and 20% gameplay. I can only give it my highest recommendation if you're looking for a pure gameplay-driven experience with little narrative.

bgmnts

I redownloaded it with games with gold, played it for 5 minutes then uninstalled it. Oops.

saltysnacks

I seem to be a rare thing these days, a genuine fan of everything Metal Gear Solid. I was really into it as a kid and found it super deep. I now appreciate it as schlock, but schlock with some decent ideas. I think Kojima is a smart man who can't really translate his ideas into video games. I think it would be too late for him now to start writing novels or directing films of any quality. So he is stuck making quite bizarre games that straddle the line between bad and good.

Didn't really like MGSV, I think it is good that it isn't so heavy on the cutscenes, but it lacked the goofiness and complexity I love. The gameplay is solid, but the environments are dull and it is far too repetitive.

Golden E. Pump

Quote from: saltysnacks on June 07, 2018, 12:24:40 AM
I seem to be a rare thing these days, a genuine fan of everything Metal Gear Solid. I was really into it as a kid and found it super deep. I now appreciate it as schlock, but schlock with some decent ideas. I think Kojima is a smart man who can't really translate his ideas into video games. I think it would be too late for him now to start writing novels or directing films of any quality. So he is stuck making quite bizarre games that straddle the line between bad and good.

Didn't really like MGSV, I think it is good that it isn't so heavy on the cutscenes, but it lacked the goofiness and complexity I love. The gameplay is solid, but the environments are dull and it is far too repetitive.

This. It's a 5.5/10 game for me. As opposed to MGS1 & 3 which are 10s, MGS2 which is a 9 and MGS4 which is a 7.

brat-sampson

I loved playing MGS V, but the way the story 'resolved' remains just the most disappointing thing.

3 still the almost undisputable best in the franchise, in terms of marrying the concept with the game itself. V certainly plays the best, but so much around that actual gameplay loop left me desperately wanting.

Blue Jam

Back to playing this now after finally finishing Mooncrash and still loving it, but feeling that it's such a rich and complex game that I'm nowhere near to playing it properly and making the most of it. I've been Fultoning loads of soldiers and got to mission No. 6 (the Honeybee) before realising that you can upgrade the binoculars and then use them to see if they're worth Fultoning or not. Got a few snipers but still no translator...

On the bright side, my horse can now poo on command and I have acquired DD, though I don't remember Fultoning any dogs (I definitely Fultoned a few sheep though, oo-er). Mr Jam got home just as I got to the cutscene of Snake arriving back at the platform and being greeted by DD, and I had to explain that I was in fact playing MGSV and not Over-Affectionate Puppy Simulator (though frankly such a thing would be right up my street).