Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 05:57:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Atlanta - Season 2 (FX)

Started by Schnapple, February 27, 2018, 02:26:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schnapple

Begins tonight, so should be online tomorrow. In the meantime, why not enjoy this incredibly lengthy New Yorker piece on Donald Glover: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/03/05/donald-glover-cant-save-you

Bloke is a one-off, I'll hand him that. A one-off like Jesus, it seems.

Ja'moke

I can't wait! Absolutely loved the first series, particularly that B.A.N episode. It seems like they're shaking things up again for season two.

phantom_power

Quote from: Schnapple on February 27, 2018, 02:26:40 PM
Begins tonight, so should be online tomorrow. In the meantime, why not enjoy this incredibly lengthy New Yorker piece on Donald Glover: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/03/05/donald-glover-cant-save-you

Bloke is a one-off, I'll hand him that. A one-off like Jesus, it seems.

That is a great interview. It is a rare insight into what it actually means to be black in America and the entertainment industry. I do slightly worry about him with the messianic complex and what seems almost like a death wish.

Small Man Big Horse

I thought that was a great opener, I love the tone and the feel of the show so much.

up_the_hampipe

Yeah, agreed. This show is excellent. Great to have it back. Wasn't expecting the Katt Williams guest appearance, but it was a good call because he was great. I'd love to hear what it was like to deal with him on set. Apparently he interned at an alligator farm and kept one in his home to prepare for the role http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2018/03/katt-williams-atlanta-robbin-season-interview

Schnapple

Quote from: phantom_power on March 01, 2018, 10:57:58 AM
That is a great interview. It is a rare insight into what it actually means to be black in America and the entertainment industry. I do slightly worry about him with the messianic complex and what seems almost like a death wish.

Agreed, on both counts. Very illuminating from the former perspective, but Glover seems to be a serious misanthrope, at the least.

Anyway, echoing above posts, the first episode was fantastic. The opening sequence genuinely shook me, and the alligator business was very memorable. Laughed a lot at 'Florida Man', and the accompanying montage. Also, the scene with Earn attempting to pay his due fees was just one of the dozens of reminders throughout this show of just quite how fucked America is if you're not making coin.

Ja'moke

I don't think I've seen Katt Williams in anything since the old DefJam Comedy specials, which I had on dvd as a kid and would watch repeatedly. So I loved him turning up in this. Great opener!

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Ja'moke on March 03, 2018, 03:14:02 AM
I don't think I've seen Katt Williams in anything since the old DefJam Comedy specials, which I had on dvd as a kid and would watch repeatedly. So I loved him turning up in this. Great opener!

He's got a shit ton of stand-up specials out there. Some of it is pretty enjoyable too https://youtu.be/dCwu0zN-78w

Ja'moke

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on March 03, 2018, 12:04:05 PM
He's got a shit ton of stand-up specials out there. Some of it is pretty enjoyable too https://youtu.be/dCwu0zN-78w

Nice!

Also, I didn't even realise this until I saw it on Reddit, but former wrestler turned NXT commentator Percy Watson turned up in Episode 1 too...

Z

Thought the robbery in episode 2 was one of the funniest low-energy scenes I've seen in ages.

phantom_power

Another great episode. I didn't notice the lack of Van in the previous two until she turned up here. Loved the rapper that Paperboi meets in the studio

Hat FM

i didnt get the reference at the end. the guy doing the races was a famous runner or something?

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Hat FM on March 18, 2018, 11:19:14 PM
i didnt get the reference at the end. the guy doing the races was a famous runner or something?

NFL guy. Also went to prison for being part of a dog fighting ring. Shame they let him be on the show.

up_the_hampipe

Loved this week's episode. Bibby was hilarious and absolutely infuriating.

up_the_hampipe

What on earth was that?! Loved it though.

Ja'moke

Wonderfully odd episode. I kept thinking, "is that Glover in white face? Nah, it can't be... is it?" Turns out it was, and apparently he stayed in character as "Teddy" on set while filming this episode.

phantom_power

The end credits even have "Teddy as Himself" as well.

It really does seem he can do what he wants with this show and it is all the better for it. It is light years ahead of similar comedian indulgences like Louis and Master of None (though I like both of those)

Hat FM

Quote from: phantom_power on April 07, 2018, 09:53:27 AM
It is light years ahead of similar comedian indulgences like Louis and Master of None (though I like both of those)

it really is. I guessed that was donald dressed up as Teddy. fucking great.

Small Man Big Horse

I'm a bit behind at the moment but after watching the third episode tonight I looked up Michael Vick to see who he was, to discover he was a famous NFL player. His wikipedia page is pretty bizarre stuff though (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Vick), and includes:

QuoteIn July 2007, Vick and three other men were indicted on federal felony charges of operating an unlawful interstate dog fighting venture known as "Bad Newz Kennels". Vick was accused of financing the operation, directly participating in dog fights and executions, and personally handling thousands of dollars in related gambling activities

And

QuoteIn March 2005, Sonya Elliott filed a civil lawsuit against Vick alleging she contracted genital herpes from him in the autumn of 2002 and that he failed to inform her that he had the disease.[84] Elliot further alleged that Vick had visited clinics under the alias "Ron Mexico" to get treatments and thus knew of his condition. On April 24, 2006, Vick's attorney, Lawrence Woodward, revealed that the lawsuit had been settled out of court under undisclosed terms.[85] Many fans bought custom jerseys from NFL.com with Vick's #7 and the name "MEXICO" on the back. The NFL later banned customizing jerseys with the name Mexico.

Now I'm incredibly tempted to change my name to Ron Mexico by deed poll.

Edit: Thanks to the AV Club I learnt about the original viral video that's spoofed in this episode - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q99NRupLBc

SteveDave

The last two episodes have felt a lot more like the first series. I was worried it was just going to become the continuing downward spiral of Earn's life.

Did anyone else think Teddy's voice sounded like Julian Barratt doing either the sandpaper man or the mirror man from the Mighty Boosh?

Led Souptin

Just watched the Teddy Perkins one, how fucking good was that? This is genuinely the most unique show around at the moment.

Doubt theres any influence but picked up some strong League of Gentlemen / Inside no. 9 vibes from Teddy.

Hat FM

Quote from: Led Souptin on April 10, 2018, 04:48:35 PM

Doubt theres any influence but picked up some strong League of Gentlemen / Inside no. 9 vibes from Teddy.

funny, it reminded me of a particular episode of Psychoville. especially when Darius arrived at the mansion to be greeted by the eccentric older gentleman. Much like tea leaf had been.

phantom_power

I am really surprised at how little Donald Glover is in this season. Earn even less so. Since his break-up with Van he has had a total of about 3 minutes screen time

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: phantom_power on April 22, 2018, 04:49:10 PM
I am really surprised at how little Donald Glover is in this season. Earn even less so. Since his break-up with Van he has had a total of about 3 minutes screen time

Judging by previews of next week's ep, he's back in it. Must have just wanted to shift the focus on the other characters for a bit.

phantom_power

Yeah but it is crazy that a show that started off as a "naive manager in the world of hip hop" has become something so different altogether. I suppose the clue is in the show title

Z

Quote from: phantom_power on April 22, 2018, 04:49:10 PM
Glover's character, you mean? He was in the Teddy Perkins one.

Not sure the show intentionally became as sprawling as it has become, my impression is that Glover just very quickly got bored of the narrative he set out for season one. Probably doesn't help that the only other projects he's had come to fruition over last two years have been Spider Man, Solo and the Lion King.

phantom_power

He was in Teddy Perkins for about a minute yeah

I think the fact the show is called Atlanta is important. It is about the reality of living in that City, rather than just being a narrative about Earn and Alfred. I think the first season might have been a bit of a compromise to appease the network and this season is the real show in full flow.