Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 08:31:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Atlanta - Season 2 (FX)

Started by Schnapple, February 27, 2018, 02:26:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vitalstatistix

Someone give Brian Tyree Henry an Emmy.

God I love this fucking show.

phantom_power

He does so much with so little. It is amazing. He barely speaks but conveys everything.

That said Darius is my favourite character. Apparently he improvised the foot thing this week as well

up_the_hampipe

Earn vs. Tracy scene was so funny this week. Great stuff from DG.

Hat FM

another great episode. bit silly if this doesn't win some emmies.

phantom_power

One of the most depressing comedy episodes in a while, but great

up_the_hampipe

non capisco

Brian Tyree Henry does the best slowburn facial expressions since Oliver Hardy.

phantom_power

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on May 06, 2018, 10:02:36 AM
Excellent new song and video from Gambino https://youtu.be/VYOjWnS4cMY

He did a great version of it on SNL this week

Ja'moke

Quote from: phantom_power on May 07, 2018, 07:49:24 PM
He did a great version of it on SNL this week

The song isn't that great without the video, I don't think. And the non-video version doesn't have the gun shot transitions, which I think takes away from the impact.

The other song he performed on SNL was great though.

SteveDave

The latest flashback episode was really good especially the kid playing Paper Boi as a boy.

Moribunderast

Quote from: SteveDave on May 08, 2018, 09:43:52 AM
The latest flashback episode was really good especially the kid playing Paper Boi as a boy.

I thought it was one of the best things I've seen about the fear and bullying that can come with high school but it got a bit heavy-handed at the end. Thought it had made it's point without needing to go with the extreme conclusion. Still, this show has been utterly superb this season. Has that rare thing that a show like Inside No. 9 had where you go in each week with no real idea what to expect. Each episode feels like an adventure and it's joyous to watch play out.

phantom_power

I thought the suicide was a bit much but I think they brought it round a bit by having it be unclear whether Earn and Alfred bore some responsibility, and by their lack of real reaction to it.

steveh

Series 2 is on Fox UK from 17 June. Series 1 starts on BBC 2 on Sunday: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b3q4bp.

Z

So did Al think Earn done all of that at the end intentionally as a low-level play to get the Al the headline slot?

Vitalstatistix

Quote from: Z on May 13, 2018, 12:57:48 PM
So did Al think Earn done all of that at the end intentionally as a low-level play to get the Al the headline slot?

Yup. My reading was that Al saw Earn slip the gun into Clark County's bag, thus ensuring Paperboi the headline slot. Al saw that Earn, as family, was willing to do things other managers wouldn't so decides against firing him.

However, the final kicker was when they realise that Clark's manager took the fall for Clark. So no headline slot for Al, plus seeing how far another manager will go for his client takes the sheen off Earn's scheme, leaving the tension in their relationship unresolved.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Season one of this superb show started on BBC Two tonight. The first two episodes are available on iPlayer:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0b3px4q/atlanta-series-1-1-the-big-bang

phantom_power

I didn't read it like that. I thought he just realised Earn had fucked up but managed to get himself out of it and get Al the headline as well. It would be stupid of him to put the gun in the bag right when they were at Security and they wouldn't be guaranteed to bump into Clark County anyway. That whole bit of the plot is a bit silly really (his fingerprints would be on the gun, there would be CCTV cameras all over security that would capture Earn's actions for two)

up_the_hampipe

I wonder if this will get a season 3. Donald Glover seems absurdly busy and the other cast members are getting some good work. We might be in for a long wait anyway.

Neomod

Skipped the thread (for spoilers) but just to say I've started watching the 1st season (4 episodes in) and i'm really enjoying it.

A superb ensemble piece so far with some hilarious touches.

The Roofdog

The Teddy Perkins episode sparked intense debate in our house (we both thought it was brilliant tho). My wife pointed out that it is definitely Teddy who gives him the messages on the blackboard as the bloke who emerges at the end is wearing different clothes. And we see the shot of the empty wheelchair in front of the piano when Darius goes up to the first floor. But when Teddy says in surprise "you're alive??" what does that mean? He attempted to kill his brother at some point during the episode or the guy was hiding in a sub-basement that Teddy didn't know about?

stephenjwz

Good as this show is I don't know if I can take much more of the constant nightmare dread feeling it has running through it