Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:33:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

No, you’re just gonna have to turn this opportunity yes!

Started by Twit 2, March 02, 2018, 08:31:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twit 2

There's a boy looking at us.

I tried to find a thread on Sexy Beast, not sure there's been much, except a mention in the 1001 good films thread.

The sample in the Buxton podcast got me rewatching it, and I think it holds up really well. Logan's dialogue in this is absolutely extraordinary, there's just nothing else like this. I love the story that Winstone was so un-nerved by Kingsley when he turned up on set in character that he climbed out of a window to escape from him!

What's the best scene? Best line? (It's the the thread title I think)

It's also worth looking at to reappraise the work of Glazer. I am of the opinion that Under the Skin is the best film of this century so far and one of the most purely cimematic things ever made. Even in his debut there are hints of what's to come in the surreal dream sequences and ending.

Or does anyone just hate it?

SEXY BEAST

popcorn

I am agreement about Under the Skin. As I recall from the thread here about it, there's quite a lot of love for it on these here forums.

I haven't seen Sexy Beast. Hmm. I wonder why not.

Twit 2

Get on it. Try to avoid the memes and YouTube clips as it'll have more impact the less you know of Kingsley's character.

momatt

"Gentlemen! You're all cunts."

I love this film!  It's just perfect and so re-watchable.  Gets better and better every time.
Basically every single line that Gandhi says is incredible.
The soundtrack by South & Unkle is bloody great too.

"You're the problem! You're the fucking problem you fucking Dr White honkin' jam-rag fucking spunk-bubble! I'm telling you Aitch you keep looking at me I'll put you in the fucking ground, promise you!"

Don: [Barely alive] I fucked Jackie. Fucked her. Ask her, she'll tell you. I fucked her.
Aitch: Yeah, well I've fucked you now, haven't I?
[crushes Don's head with a rock]

Sebastian Cobb

'What's that?'
'It's a goat... they're a fucking nuisance.'
'What's it looking at me for?'

zomgmouse

momatt

There was an advert a few years ago (for holidays or something) that used Henry Mancini's Lujon for the music.  I could tell it was taken directly from the Sexy Beast soundtrack CD, as it had a tiny snippet of Peaches at the beginning of the advert.

I'm not sure if that's interesting or not, but I've typed it now.  So fuckit.

itsfredtitmus

there was a few of these Bizarro World post-Ritchie films around that time weren't they? Sexy Beast and Gangster No. 1 being the most rememberable - there was even one with the tagline of "Local Hero meets Northern Exposure meets The Sopranos!" that I think that Scandi Netflix show Lillyhammer might have seen

Twit 2

IIRC, the writers and producer of SB made that film after initially being attached to G#1 then walking from it when it was being fucked with, pouring their frustrations into the Logan character (who Ser Ben based on his nan!).

notnownikki

Love this movie.

"Yeah I will in a minute when I have a piss" maybe isn't a memorable line, but we say it a lot to each other when we're asked to do something.

Serge

"Gotta change my shirt, it's sticking to me, I'm sweating like a cunt."

A line I have used myself on more than one occasion. Breaks the ice in clothes shops.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Is it significant that Kingsley is the only part of the film that people ever seem to talk about?

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on March 02, 2018, 02:04:11 PM
Is it significant that Kingsley is the only part of the film that people ever seem to talk about?
It's the Edge of Darkness Dildo of the film

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on March 02, 2018, 02:04:11 PM

I wouldnt say so. Winstone and Lovejoy were both great in it, its just that Kingsley is so immense in his role, an amazing character with a lot of quotable lines, so thats where people tend to focus. He's the best thing in it but the film is definitely not a one man show.

Twit 2

Definitely. McShane plays a psycho of a different sort just as well, and Winstone is very good playing it subdued and against type.

BeardFaceMan

I do wonder how the film would have turned out with Kingsley and Winstone swapping roles. You would expect Winstone to be the shouting nutter and Kingsley the meek one and that would have been a good film, but the switching of roles, the sheer unexpectedness of the performaces and who they were coming from is why people still talk about it now.

Shit Good Nose

"You look like a fuckin' holdall."

Always liked Sexy Beast.  Great opening too.

Under the Skin completely went over my head - it left me with exactly the same feeling of "well that was an empty waste of fucking time" as Lost In Translation did.  But I'm the only person I know that doesn't like it, so I'll happily acknowledge it's just me and my subjective opinion.

Birth is mediocre.

momatt

He's the most quotable and memorable, but I like pretty much all the characters in it really.

One thing I really like is how loved-up and adorable Gal is when he's talking to his wife.  His lines about how much he loves her and wanting to hear her voice saying his name make me all teary-eyed.  Lovely.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: momatt on March 02, 2018, 03:27:28 PM
He's the most quotable and memorable, but I like pretty much all the characters in it really.

One thing I really like is how loved-up and adorable Gal is when he's talking to his wife.  His lines about how much he loves her and wanting to hear her voice saying his name make me all teary-eyed.  Lovely.

And Amanda Redman is brilliant in it as well.

As you say, everyone's good.  It just so happens Kingsley steals the show.

bgmnts

Imagine being stuck in a situation having to converse with a bloke like Logan. Would shit myself.

Serge

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on March 02, 2018, 03:17:05 PM
But I'm the only person I know that doesn't like it,

I'm happy to say that I can join you in bewilderment at the popularity of 'Under The Skin', as, soundtrack aside, it is utter bilge.

Twit 2

Well, didn't you confess that you don't like poetry, despite liking other literature? Similarly, disliking UTS is like liking films but disliking cinema! (Don't mean to be a dick, just strikes me as odd)

Funcrusher

Sexy Beast is great, but it does rather lose steam once Kingsley's not in it. The thing I always remember is that the first shot we see of Sir Ben he has his back to the camera, but there's something about the way he carries himself that tells you instantly that he's trouble.

Under The Skin was okay for what it was but its masterpiece status on CAB is way over the top.

Twit 2

Funcrusher

Sebastian Cobb

I think while the rest of the cast are good, without Kingsley's excellent performance it would be just another pedestrian crime film.

Twit 2

Nah, those lines are great on paper. It would be good (instead of great) without him, not pedestrian.

Funcrusher

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 02, 2018, 05:19:32 PM
I think while the rest of the cast are good, without Kingsley's excellent performance it would be just another pedestrian crime film.

Pretty much. I don't remember much about the heist bit.

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 02, 2018, 05:19:32 PM
pedestrian would be Love, Honour and Obey