Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:30:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

No, you’re just gonna have to turn this opportunity yes!

Started by Twit 2, March 02, 2018, 08:31:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on March 02, 2018, 07:28:12 PM
pedestrian would be Love, Honour and Obey

Thats not pedestrian, its not even a piece of the gutter, never mind making it to the dizzying heights of the pavement.

Theremin

One of my personal favourite films, and that rarest thing - a masterpiece that's genuinely fun to watch.

"H-how was your flight, Don?"

"It was alright..."

Even the pauses in this are quotable.

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on March 02, 2018, 07:33:33 PM
Thats not pedestrian, its not even a piece of the gutter, never mind making it to the dizzying heights of the pavement.
layer cake?

Sebastian Cobb

BeardFaceMan

checkoutgirl

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on March 02, 2018, 07:33:33 PM

Love, Honour and Obey was a spoof. If you still think it's shite on those terms then fine.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: checkoutgirl on March 02, 2018, 07:52:50 PM
Love, Honour and Obey was a spoof. If you still think it's shite on those terms then fine.

Well yeah, I know its the Operation Good Guys mob, I was a fan of the show, just thought that film was irredeemable arse.

Serge

Quote from: Twit 2 on March 02, 2018, 04:48:17 PM
Well, didn't you confess that you don't like poetry, despite liking other literature? Similarly, disliking UTS is like liking films but disliking cinema! (Don't mean to be a dick, just strikes me as odd)

'Under The Skin' is one of those films, like 'Arrival', where the people that like them seem to lose all sense of perspective and go absolutely crazy if anyone dares not to be fussed by them. I literally don't understand what you mean by 'liking films but disliking cinema' in relation to UTS. UTS is a film. I dislike that film. It is allowed and people who think that not liking it makes someone less of a person really need to have a word with themselves.

And I don't see why my disliking poetry also seems to mean I shouldn't be allowed to like any other form of literature.

But like I said, losing all sense of perspective.

Twit 2

Quote from: bgmnts on March 02, 2018, 08:26:43 PM
I've never seen Under the Skin, is it any good?

Nah, it's shit.

Quote from: Serge on March 02, 2018, 08:22:59 PM
'Under The Skin' is one of those films, like 'Arrival', where the people that like them seem to lose all sense of perspective and go absolutely crazy if anyone dares not to be fussed by them.

Arrival is a good film; UTS is a masterpiece. Not really comparable to me.

QuoteUTS is a film. I dislike that film. It is allowed and people who think that not liking it makes someone less of a person really need to have a word with themselves.

You're 'allowed' (your word, not mine) to dislike it and you're not less of a person.

QuoteAnd I don't see why my disliking poetry also seems to mean I shouldn't be allowed to like any other form of literature.

I never said that.

Again, I just find it odd to not like ANY poetry. You're a book nerd, like loads of great lit, including loads of great poetic prose, why are some line breaks such a game changer?

QuoteBut like I said, losing all sense of perspective.

Just seems odd from my perspective to not see the greatness of stuff that is so awesome when you like other similar awesome stuff. If you didnt like films and books it would make more sense. Again, I'm really not trying to be a dick, it's just baffling.

Anyway, sorry for thread derailment.

Mister Six

Quote from: Funcrusher on March 02, 2018, 06:17:22 PM
Pretty much. I don't remember much about the heist bit.

That's because it's not a heist movie - it's a relationship movie that's complicated by a heist.

Mister Six

Has anyone seen 41-Inch Chest? Very stagey, but more Winstone/McShane fun, and more great lines.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Mister Six on March 02, 2018, 09:13:53 PM
Has anyone seen 41-Inch Chest? Very stagey, but more Winstone/McShane fun, and more great lines.

It was one of those films that I enjoyed while watching it but after it was over it just felt like a huge waste of time. Odd one.

Serge

Quote from: Twit 2 on March 02, 2018, 08:35:44 PMAgain, I just find it odd to not like ANY poetry. You're a book nerd, like loads of great lit, including loads of great poetic prose, why are some line breaks such a game changer?

I've just never found any poetry that does anything for me whatsoever - and yes, I have looked into a lot. I'm not the only person I know who has this stumbling block, I know lots of people who read masses of fiction who just can't get into poetry at all.

QuoteJust seems odd from my perspective to not see the greatness of stuff that is so awesome when you like other similar awesome stuff. If you didnt like films and books it would make more sense. Again, I'm really not trying to be a dick, it's just baffling.

But the greatness is in your opinion, it's not a given thing about any film. You find it great, that's fantastic, but it was a film that left me utterly cold (again - except for the soundtrack, and I have to admit that I enjoyed that more in isolation as a record), and there's just no getting around that. I realise you're not trying to be a dick, and I feel I probably came across as being more dickish in my post, to be fair, but this is a brick wall that we don't seem to be able to get around.

I had a similar thing with a friend of mine who is a massive Zappa fan, and couldn't understand why I didn't like him. If I trotted out the fairly reasonable line, "it's just an opinion" he would say, "no, it's a FACT!", as if Zappa being great was an ineradicable fact rather than how he personally felt about him. It got to me so much that one night he started in on it yet again, and I got angry and stood up and started to make to leave the pub, when he finally realised that he'd probably pushed it too far. This is how I feel about 'Under The Skin' - I'm glad there are people who love it, but please don't assume that everyone else has to like it just because you do.

Twit 2

Funcrusher

Twit 2

Schnapple

Such a fantastic, brisk film. Amazing performances from everyone involved, and Kingsley really is proper fucking terrifying. Del is surely one of the most sympathetic criminals in cinema history? The scene after Don has kicked his head in while he's asleep, before he then kicks in his kitchen cabinet, has one of the most memorable expressions of pure fear on his (Winstone's) face.

holyzombiejesus

I remember there was a 'cool' US musician (can't remember who now) who raved about Ian McShane's performance in this. He said something like "I love McShane. It was so great when he let that guy fuck him in the ass."

I feel much the same about the Lovejoy episode Taking the Pledge (but with him selling an old mustard pot he find in his shed rather than getting fucked in the ass).

Sebastian Cobb

McShane really does just keep playing more evil characters... Lovejoy->Teddy Bass->Al Swearengen->Someone in GOT (presumably, don't watch it).

holyzombiejesus

I dunno. Lovejoy had quite a vicious uncaring side. I remember on episode where he really upset Tink and Eric, to the extent that the theme tune at the end was a sad piano version. I think he just got so obsessed with those bloody antiques that he forgot about his friends sometimes.

Sebastian Cobb

Not to mention all those woodwormed chests of drawers he patched up with polyfilla and a bit of shoe polish

St_Eddie

Ian McShane was a right evil shit in the fourth Pirates of the Caribbean movie.  He was quite literally the only good, um bad... uh, good bad guy, in an otherwise snooze-inducing shambolic mess, that looked far cheaper than its bloated budget would suggest.

Anyway, Sexy Beast is one of my favourite films and Under the Skin is a masterpiece but people are entitled to their own opinions, even when they're wrong.  My Dad for example, says that There Will be Blood is a boring film and a load of old guff.  He's entitled to be insane.

Seriously though, I would never expect Under the Skin to be universally appreciated.  It's far too esoteric and individual for mass appeal.  That's not a bad thing but I can completely understand why it may not be to everyone's tastes.

Glebe

Just caught Sexy Beast again on Film 4 recently, 'tis indeed a cracking film and Don Logan is one of the most terrifying screen villains ever (imaging going from Ghandi to playing that!) And yeah, Under the Skin is quite possibly my favourite film of the 'new' millenium so far (that beach scene is absolutely gut-wrenching to watch, though). Not seen Birth as yet.

spamwangler

i thought under the skin looked very nice, Johansen is great in it, the music us absolute bloody aces, but i've spent no time at all thinking about it after, loved it when it was on, but im somehow not arsed now, i dunno

Twit 2

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 03, 2018, 01:17:09 AM
McShane really does just keep playing more evil characters... Lovejoy->Teddy Bass->Al Swearengen->Someone in GOT (presumably, don't watch it).

He played a lovely man in GOT. He was dementedly evil in American Horror Story, though.

Quote from: St_Eddie on March 03, 2018, 03:19:51 AMSeriously though, I would never expect Under the Skin to be universally appreciated.  It's far too esoteric and individual for mass appeal.  That's not a bad thing but I can completely understand why it may not be to everyone's tastes.

Yeah, I get that a lot of people wouldn't like it, I just expect film buffs to like it, and want more people to like it. I've never been one to think there has to be an exclusive club for the thing I like - the more the merrier!

No one's mentioned 'front bottom' yet.

notnownikki

Quote from: Mister Six on March 02, 2018, 09:11:37 PM
That's because it's not a heist movie - it's a relationship movie that's complicated by a heist.

I always thought the heist sequence felt a bit out of place.

smudge1971

No mention of "Nice eyes, DeeDee, never noticed them before...they real?" followed by the most amazing look of absolute hatred and contempt from Amanda Redman?

Serge

Quote from: Funcrusher on March 02, 2018, 10:41:15 PM
Not even 'Hot Rats'?

Yeah, actually, I do like that. I recently found a folder with tons of Zappa stuff in online, mostly from his first decade as a recording artist, and there are bits on nearly all the albums I like, but then you have to put up with all the silly voices and puerile bollocks which just puts me off. Other than 'Hot Rats', there isn't really an album I could sit and listen to from beginning to end without wanting to skip bits. And if I'm being honest.....I'd skip the title track on 'Hot Rats'.

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on March 03, 2018, 01:23:03 AM
I dunno. Lovejoy had quite a vicious uncaring side. I remember on episode where he really upset Tink and Eric, to the extent that the theme tune at the end was a sad piano version. I think he just got so obsessed with those bloody antiques that he forgot about his friends sometimes.

I've mentioned this on here before, but apparently in the original books, Lovejoy is a right bastard, a lot harder and more ruthless than the TV version. I think he even kills a couple of people. McShane wanted to make the series stick closer to that, but the only way he could get it on air was to tone it down and turn it into the safe, early-Sunday-evening show that it ended up as. I did used to enjoy it, for all that, as you can't really go wrong with McShane and Dudley Sutton (and Phyllis Logan in the early series), but it would be interesting to see them do a new version that stuck closer to the books, which would probably be an easier sell to the BBC at the minute.