Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 11:53:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

If ever an album title was in dire need of an exclamation mark!

Started by zonko, March 02, 2018, 10:29:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: Lemming on May 16, 2018, 06:46:55 AM
CSI: Ambleside has Bad Losers On Yahoo! Chess and Blue Badge Abuser, two OBJECTIVELY top-of-the-line songs, musically and lyrically. National Shite Day isn't great but it's lyrically strong.
most modern hmhb songs tbh
what on earth is that bass in ideal home show?

Sebastian Cobb

It's on Spotify now lads. Only slipped through it quickly, but Nige's vocals sound muffled as fuck. Like yer da copied a tape with the dolby buttons set all wrong.

itsfredtitmus

man of constant sorrow - lost song from back in the dhss

phantom_power

On first listen it is a bit HMHB by numbers but I will give it a bit more time

Lost Oliver

Is the bat walk track on here? Amazing! Thought it might just be a live one.

So excited about this. I never buy anything but made an exception for this because these are the sort of people I want to fund.

It'll be my second vinyl and I can't fucking wait to play it!

easytarget

Quote from: phantom_power on May 18, 2018, 12:40:21 PM
On first listen it is a bit HMHB by numbers but I will give it a bit more time
but they're such good numbers.
My first impression is it's much better than the last one, I do miss the "almost entirely talking songs" (A Country Practice, Thy Damnation, Evil Gazebo) if there was one on here I missed it, but I'll spin it again this afternoon.

phantom_power

Quote from: easytarget on May 19, 2018, 05:58:47 PM
but they're such good numbers.
My first impression is it's much better than the last one, I do miss the "almost entirely talking songs" (A Country Practice, Thy Damnation, Evil Gazebo) if there was one on here I missed it, but I'll spin it again this afternoon.

I would normally agree but it just seemed a bit tired. It did make me realise that I haven't even listened to their last album though

Lost Oliver

Wasted with passions I don't have the courage to express.

Does anyone know what he's saying at the end of bat walks? Live I thought it was Monaco but on the album it sounds a lot like Bollocko.

Charcoal-ish

Yes, it's bollock-o. Merseyside slang for "in the nude", as in "stark bollock naked". So not only is he going to defy the rangers by doing his bat walk at 2am, he's going to do it without the recommended warm waterproof clothing.

Sebastian Cobb

The bat one holds a place in my heart as there was an utter melvin at my last job who organised hillwalks to raise his profile. They were meticulously planned with risk assessments and the threat of kit inspections, you'd think he was taking people round the matterhorn.

Most infuriatingly he used the phrase 'pack lunch'.

Lost Oliver

Ha! I'm definitely going to start saying pack lunch from now on.

Sebastian Cobb

gilbertharding

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 22, 2018, 01:32:41 PM
Most infuriatingly he used the phrase 'pack lunch'.

Lunch you carry in your pack, is the only way I can parse that to make it work.

ajsmith2

Been listening a bit. While I agree with Beagle 2 on his other thread on this album that musically it's retreading a more than well worn furrow, godammit if these tunes haven't been worming their way insidiously around my mind after just a handful of plays. Catchy stuff.

Nowhere Man

Bloody hell this had some fantastic riffs doesn't it? Props to their latest guitarist, Karl Benson, he's done a brilliant job on this.
Haven't even listened to it all yet and its already better than 'Urge To Offal'.

Nowhere Man

Fuckin 'ell!

They've made the top 40 charts for the first time ever!

ajsmith2

Quote from: Nowhere Man on May 26, 2018, 01:10:14 PM
Bloody hell this had some fantastic riffs doesn't it? Props to their latest guitarist, Karl Benson, he's done a brilliant job on this.
Haven't even listened to it all yet and its already better than 'Urge To Offal'.

To get pedantic, I saw on the nitpicking HMHB lyrics site that apparently half the album still has Ken Hancock, and the other half has bassist Neil Crossley doubling up on lead guitar. Apparently Benson has yet to make his studio debut with them.

Nowhere Man

Ah okay, that must probably mean they'd finished most of the album by last year. Ken left in 2017, but god knows if I can remember what time that was. Well big props to Neil and Ken then!

Lost Oliver

Now we've all had time to digest it what we think?

For me it's the best album they've done since This Leaden Pall.

Terminus is unbelievably sad. Larkin-esque.