Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:15:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Pond

Started by Almost Yearly, February 20, 2004, 12:51:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neville Chamberlain

Here you go. Sorry I forgot to post it here...

//www.camberwellcarrot.com/sib.mp3

No, it's not me who's been recording this, but "Dave Jackson" (I think) on the Cardiacs mailing list. I'm a lurker too there.

Needless to say, it's very interesting, although Richard and James Larcombe, in their enthusiasm, keep talking over each other and I've no idea who's doing the talking. Still, good stuff!

Neville Chamberlain

There is "talk" of a "gig" this "year"...

//www.stargreen.com/artist/?CARDIACS

Hmmm, seems legit and, judging by the time of year and venue, would certainly fit in with Cardiacs' modus operandi...

That seems less like "talk" of a "gig" this "year" and more like actual tickets selling for a definate gig. Do the Cardiacs have a history of letting people order tickets for concerts that never existed or something?

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: "DevlinC"That seems less like "talk" of a "gig" this "year" and more like actual tickets selling for a definate gig. Do the Cardiacs have a history of letting people order tickets for concerts that never existed or something?

Hehe! No, it's just that the website's never updated, you never hear anything from the "horse's mouth", and it's generally sensible to have a healthy scepticism about any Cardiacs-related news when you first hear it (though I have actually gone all wobbly with excitement).

Now, where's that bumper DVD re-release of All That Glitters...?

Dirty Boy

bizarrely, this rather obvious question only came into my mind recently, but are Cardiacs actually still recording albums, or do they exist solely as a live band now?. I wondered this 'cos it's been about 5 years since the last one.

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: "Dirty Boy"bizarrely, this rather obvious question only came into my mind recently, but are Cardiacs actually still recording albums, or do they exist solely as a live band now?. I wondered this 'cos it's been about 5 years since the last one.

Well, there's a new track on their Greatest Hits album called Faster Than Snakes with a Ball and a Chain (which, in my opinion, is one of the best tracks they've ever recorded) and, from what I can gather, a new album is on the way but has just been delayed a bit. So I'm pretty confident that a whole batch of new material is going to make an appearance some time soon...good question, though, never thought of that. Bear in mind also that Tim Smith and co are involved in numerous other projects.

Mind you, it does seem that Cardiacs have given up doing proper nationwide tours though. The first time I saw them was in 1995 in Bristol on the Sing to God tour, but I think since then they've done very few gigs outside London. Now it's just your annual London extravaganzas which, by the way, are not to be missed!!!

Pilf

I'd love them to do a proper tour - absolutely love it, but I think it's just too expensive for them and haven't got the sort of distributed fanbase now that can make a tour profitable. They toured in 1999 and played a few places North/Midlands, I saw them at a couple of venues and it was amazing.

I second that the now annual London event is really not to be missed though.

boki

The Guns tour was a bugger cos they played the tiny Victoria Inn in Derby, but I was only just getting into them at the time and didn't have a car (last train home being a very useful 9.00pm grrrr) so I didn't go.  I dare say that's the nearest they'll come to playing round these parts for like ever.

Neville Chamberlain

I've just popped along to Organ web site and it says this...

QuoteCARDIACS have announced another show at the London Astoria for Fri 12th November 2004. Tickets on Sale now £14.00 One night confirmed. Look out for pre gig warm ups by Tim in small venues so it says here on this e.mail I got.

Almost Yearly

Most excellent. This time I shall be there.

Edit:
Quote from: "Almost Yearly"Ships And Irons and Heaven Born, whilst brilliant, naturally, are less seminal I think...
Of course, since I spewed this load of old tosh I have inevitably been obsessing on those two particular opi every. Single. Night. They are both, of course, fantastic; though the latter I still feel only really hits its stride towards the end. Huh - call myself a fanboy.

Neville Chamberlain

The excellent Perfect Sound Forever magazine has a short article on them Cardiacs here...

Excellent! The more praise is heaped on Cardiacs in the press, the better!

Keep this thread alive!!!

Dirty Boy

QuoteKeep this thread alive!!!

Yeah, but what's left to discuss?

Incidently, did anyone check out any of those cardialike bands on the first page?

elderford

QuoteThe Guns tour was a bugger cos they played the tiny Victoria Inn in Derby

I'd just like to point out that I first saw them on the "we haven't released anything on vinyl yet tour", back in the heroic days of 'The Seaside' cassette only album.

Sometimes it pays to be old.

Respect my authoritay!

Nearly Annually

And now you've left them for The Fall. < shakes head sadly > Lost yer marbles, grandad.

Quote from: "Dirty Boy"Incidently, did anyone check out any of those cardialike bands on the first page?
My mate's supposed to be sending me some studio NoMeansNo. I only know Live And Cuddly. Must kick his arse.

I've got a version of Dog Like Sparky with the vocals missing, on tape somewhere. Don't know where from, actually. I do know though that singing along is mighty tough on the larynx.

Quote from: "In that review linked by Jim was"The initiated ... know every twisted sentence and tricky tempo change by heart, knowing that beneath the clownish surface there is an emotional labyrinth of suburban neuroses and childlike attempts to get to grips with the world.
Well put.

DON'T PANIC - the Pond is eternal, like the Fountain Of Youth at its centre. Search > "Pond" > Stereo Excursions presently returns only 5 results.

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: "Nearly Annually"I've got a version of Dog Like Sparky with the vocals missing, on tape somewhere. Don't know where from, actually.

That'll be from the Signs single.

The Alphabet Business Concern reminds you that such karaoke versions are for your COMPULSORY CHORAL COLLABORATION.

I've also got a karaoke version of Insect Hoofs on Lassie from a split Cardiacs/Camp Blackfoot single released with Guns.

Dirty Boy

Quote from: "Nearly Annually"My mate's supposed to be sending me some studio NoMeansNo. I only know Live And Cuddly

Yeah, i'm after some of their stuff too.Got L&C recently which is rather nice and am waiting on a couple of others.

So no interest in that Devin Townsend album or the Foetus stuff then? i keep prostituting them and no one seems to take a bite, ah well...

Nearly Annually

Ahh, so little time :-( I need to get one of these:

Me, I'm still attempting to listen to that bloody (yeah) Fantomas thing all the way through. The baby doesn't like it much. On the plus side, the baby already reacts to the Cardies as something soothingly familiar. One fucked up kid coming up.

Pilf

YES! Get em young, that's what I say. My girlfriend played R.E.S in a primary school dance lesson - she wanted something 'jumpy' so naturally that was the first thing that came to mind. They loved it as well.  

I do agree that this thread needs to be kept alive, so what can I waffle about?

Anyone seen the Wildhearts with Random Jonny Poole? What's he like with them? A mate said he was no where near as manic, so if he hasn't left perhaps he's saving himself for the big return.

Bands that sound like Cardiacs - I have heard some Devin Townsend and I'm going to get some. Loved what I heard. Today I recommend the new album by Deerhoof, Milk Man I think it's called. What I heard of that sounded gloriously bendy, more tuneful than before (and they were good before), and more bendy.

elderford

Whatever happened to Sarah?

Nearly Annually

She was as big as big at the Barfly gigs. No-one gave her the Jim treatment about it though, heh. Then I read some interview wherein Tim said she'd become a witch and all that gubbins. She cropped up on the Shrubbies album too. This is probably all in the wrong order.

Perhaps the worm turned. (I mean the real one she played on the Sea Nymphs album.)

elderford

...and wasn't their a keyboard player William something or other?

You'll have to forgive me as the nurse is due at any moment to dress me and move me closer to the window.

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: "elderford"...and wasn't their a keyboard player William something or other?

Yes, William D. Drake, lost cousin of Nick, so rumour has it...

Quote from: "elderford"You'll have to forgive me as the nurse is due at any moment to dress me and move me closer to the window.

?

Nearly Annually

He can't help it, he's old, don't mind him.

See further up the thread for an interview with the mild mannered man in question, elderflower. He sounds lovely, loading on the Tim plaudits when we know he had quite an influence himself. I think you can hear exactly what Tim learned off him in the keyboard parts these days. Back to the Barfly again, there was such a warm reception when he came on and sat with his little keyboard. Almost a tear or two.

elderford

I am implying I am old and confused as I used to be a rabid fan in the 1980s when I first saw them supporting Marillion, so around 1986/7.

I used to have a cassette tape: Mr and Mrs Smith and Mr Drake, or Mr Smith Mr Smith and Mr Drake.

A bit like an acoustic Cardiacs with very little percusion, the cover was colour photocopied on really cheap paper.

Oh and the one with the green cover, the Cardiacs archive.

boki

Quote from: "elderford"I used to have a cassette tape: Mr and Mrs Smith and Mr Drake, or Mr Smith Mr Smith and Mr Drake.

A bit like an acoustic Cardiacs with very little percusion, the cover was colour photocopied on really cheap paper.

This was remastered and released on CD last year  - must admit I've only listened to it once so far 'cos it's not really my thing.  I like me cardiacs mental.

Dirty Boy

Just a needless to say i've just watched that Consultants flower garden fingy.What the FUCK is that supposed to be about? i'm genuinely interested.

Also found some more praise for Cardies at http://www.exclusive2.freeserve.co.uk/cardiacs.html.Quite nice really :-)

Neville Chamberlain

Ah yes, the Consultant's Flower Garden!

I'm not sure what it's supposed to be either! Just think of it as a nice fly-on-the-wall thing about the strict regimen employed by the ABC in order to ensure cleanliness and hygiene at all times and, presumably, ensure Jim doesn't get any ideas above his station. I think that the Consultant is a chap called James who runs that site containing all the old videos and what-not.

Great scene of Bill having a wank by the way!

Also, that link you found...correct me if I'm incorrect, but isn't that our very own Pilf's work? Great stuff!

Nearly Annually

Linked from that page what you linked, DB,  is a pretty complete bio page with this on it ...
QuoteA 12" EP "Seaside Treats" and a video of the same name appeared in 1985, these consisted of tracks taken from "The Seaside". The video however, started with a 10 minute segment entitled "The Consultants Flower Garden" This was a piece on the "life and character" of the band which served to screw peoples heads up. This footage is completely insane, pure vintage CARDIACS, even down to the tantrums and thumb sucking!. This is a classic bit of CARDIACS history, and well worth seeing IF you can find someone with a copy.

Is Steve Lamacq, or however you're supposed to fucking spell it, a fan? He was playing old Britpop gigs last night and made a real point of mentioning that our chaps were on Blur's bill in '94 (5?). Really emphasised it, he did, as if the beloved R1 listener had a clue who he was talking about.

The Falcon in Camden, I meant. Barfly was the name of the night, doh. Don't know why I couldn't remember that - I've ended up in the unfortunate scum hole often enough.

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: "Nearly Annually"
The Falcon in Camden, I meant. Barfly was the name of the night, doh.

Which Barfly gigs are you talking about? Are you talking about the 3-gigs-on-3-nights knees-up they did back in early '99 (?)? Bcasue if you are, I was there too...

Nearly Annually

Yeah, I was at the last one.

Glory.

Edit: just to duplicate a link to that page of Real Fucking Player stuff here (and here). One day I'll get to see it.