Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:53:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Pond

Started by Almost Yearly, February 20, 2004, 12:51:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: "Nearly Annually"Yeah, I was at the last one.

Glory.

Aaaahhh - the big reunion gig!

Nearly Annually

Yur, a Cardy virgin girl-friend of mine turned up to meet me there. She was so awestruck she couldn't be arsed to find me til after it was over. One more fishy convert, heh.

I've just booked tickets for that alleged Nov 12th doobry, so someone's off on their hols with my credit card details as we speak.

Pilf

Quote from: "Dirty Boy"Just a needless to say i've just watched that Consultants flower garden fingy.What the FUCK is that supposed to be about? i'm genuinely interested.

Also found some more praise for Cardies at http://www.exclusive2.freeserve.co.uk/cardiacs.html.Quite nice really :-)

That was me! I printed that in the first ever edition of my zine, and unfortunately is probably innacurate as I'd not been into them *that* long  at that point. I've learnt a hell of alot since then, and been to many more gigs so apologies for any shockingly crap writing. It *was* the first ever edition. It's still going by the way, just been on a bit of a break (as you can probably tell by the outdated web site...only update it when there is a new issue out really). I'm trying to get an interview with the one and only William (sometimes we call him Bill) D. Drake for the next one. He's an hard man to pin down.

I've got the Consultant's Flower Garden on a copied VHS, probably 20th generation, and I've watched it so many times it's totally knackered now. It's an absolutely classic piece of footage. Ah, but have you seen their appearance on the Tube doing 'Tarred and Feathered' in the mid/late 80's? That is amazing, a truly must have piece of Cardiacs history.

Neville Chamberlain

Hey there!

Fancy some seriously complex rocking math-rock stuff??? Of course you do!!!. It's the House of Stairs web site, home to, amongst others, Stars in Battledress and the latest Monsoon Bassoon incarnations. By the way, that posthumous Monsoon Bassoon track, Stag, is absolutely phenomenal and a few seconds and a few clicks later, I'd bought myself the House of Stairs compilation Useless in Bed Vol. 1, which features all them tracks there! If it's your cup o' tea, which it jolly well ought to be, then I'd suggest you do the same!

Dirty Boy

Thanks for that.I'll be sure to check 'em out as soon as i have more time.Was meaning to ask about Monsoon Bassoon and Stars In Battledress actually.Found the only album they both seem to have have released online ('i Dig Your Voodoo' and 'Secrets and Signals')and wondered if they were worth getting, and what's the Cardiacs conection anyway? is it Tim Smiths production?

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: "Dirty Boy"Was meaning to ask about Monsoon Bassoon and Stars In Battledress actually.Found the only album they both seem to have have released online ('i Dig Your Voodoo' and 'Secrets and Signals')and wondered if they were worth getting, and what's the Cardiacs conection anyway? is it Tim Smiths production?

Yes, both albums were *expertly* produced by Tim Smith (seriously, Tim is a truly fantastic and unique producer, never mind songwriter and guitarist!) and, yes, these are the only albums they've released. Sadly, the Monsoon Bassoon are no more, although the musicians are all active in some form or other (have a sniff around the House of Stairs web site to find out exactly what they're up to - it's quite complicated keeping track!) and, of course, Monsoon Bassoon guitarist and Cardiacs roadie Kavus Torabi stood in very ably for Jon Poole at the Garage gigs last October. I Dig Your Voodoo is a truly brilliant album that cannot help but appeal to Cardiaddicts - highly recommended!

By the way, on that House of Stairs website I linked earlier, I'd recommend you listen to that Monsoon Bassoon track Stag as a matter of urgency. It is absolutely stunning but, unfortunately, isn't on their one and only album. I ordered the House of Stairs compilation on the basis of that one track alone before sampling the rest. You know that feeling you get when you hear a track and you think "I need that in my life...NOW!!!"

Stars in Battledress are brothers Richard and James Larcombe, two people who worship at the altar of Cardiacs! They've got a really distinctive sound, but very reminiscent of "quiet" Cardiacs and Sea Nymphs, very blissful, psychedelic, almost "mediaeval" sounding. Certainly not bonkers, just a bit eccentric! Again, Secrets and Signals is highly recommended! There are a few samples on their website!

boki

Ah yes, I meant to get that House of Stairs comp a while ago but forgot about it.  must get to it now....yuck, how fugly is that site's colour scheme?

Has anybody heard any of Kavus' stuff as Knife World?  'm not sure if there's anything actuallyout yet, but maybe someone's been to a gig or summat.

Nearly Annually

That "Stag" is everso cracking in'tit. Zappa will live forever. Agreed about Mr Smith's knob twiddling credentials - it's not always been that way, in my opinion, but a genius can learn anything.

Nov 12th tickets have arrived. Plan ahead I say ;-)

Neville Chamberlain

I've just got hold of the Camp Blackfoot album Critical Seed vs. The Spartan Society. It's very very very cool indeed! Those three tracks they offer on the split Cardiacs/Camp Blackfoot are mere tasters for this quite amazing album...

Anyone else got it/heard it?

Neville Chamberlain

For the benefit of those not on the Cardiacs mailing list...

QuoteWilliam D. Drake Live performances and new records!

Bill has just finished recording his new album titled 'Ancestors Box'.

Recorded over the last year and a half at Foma Studios and produced by
Darryl Anthony, it features many guest artists including Bob Leith
(Cardiacs) on drums, Terry Pitt on trumpet, with Sharron Fortnam (NSRO,
Lake of Puppies, Shrubbies) lending vocals on one song and Sarah Jones
(Cardiacs, Sea Nymphs) providing backing vocals on two songs. Dino
Ferrari (Here and Now) plays bass guitar, Bernie Holden (Lake of
Puppies) is on clarinet and James Larcombe (Stars in Battledress, NSRO)
plays the harmonium. Scheduled for release in late 2004 / early 2005.

In addition, an album consisting of purely piano music, called 'Yew's
Paw", which was recorded over a few days in St.Olave's Church, is
finished and will be released through Onomatopeia Records, hopefully at
the end of 2004.

On the live front, Bill's two forthcoming performances are:

September 15th with Stars In Batteldress, at The Lark In The Park, 60
Copenhagen Street, Islington, London, N1 0JW. Admission is £5 and doors
will open at 8:00pm. Stars In Battledress and William D. Drake will play
a set each, followed by a joint set to round the evening off.

October 10th with NSRO and Stars In Batteldress at Bush Hall, 310
Uxbridge Rd, Shepherds Bush, London, W12 7LJ. Tickets £10 / £5
concession at the door. Advance tickets available through Ticketweb at
www.ticketweb.co.uk or 0870 903 2665. Tickets can also be booked through
Bush Hall on 020 8222 6933 between 10am and 5pm, Mon-Fri.

Damn oh damn! Why do I live so far away from London? I must be mad.

Almost Yearly

QuoteSharron Fortnam
Oh yes? Uhuh. More incest.

12th November will be my next holding my breath visit to the big gay apple, I'm afeared.

Pilf

Bill Drake is great live. It's like a big drunken medieval singalong. A new Bill album is a thing of wonder.

Not got tickets for this November gig yet, due to sorting out somewhere to sleep. But I will be there, raising my hands to the sky with tears in my eyes, hugging large bald moshing blokes.

boki

Quote from: "Pilf"Not got tickets for this November gig yet, due to sorting out somewhere to sleep. But I will be there, raising my hands to the sky with tears in my eyes, hugging large bald moshing blokes.

Ah, bald moshing bloke would likely be Pete, overlord of the excellent http://come.to/cardiacs site.  I've seen him program a Cardiacs ringtone on a Nokia in seconds, which is scary power indeed.

Haven't got my ticket yet, have to see how finances hold up.

Neville Chamberlain

Yup, that's a fantastic Cardiacs site.

Er, what's happened to the "official" Cardiacs site? It's getting a bit beyond a joke now.

Well I'm going to the gig. I don't care if I need to fork out for a flight from Germany to Stansted. If it's Cardiacs, then I have no choice.

Dirty Boy

*crawls out, cockroach style*

When's this next bloody album supposed to be out then? It's been five years since the last one

QuoteSarah Jones (Cardiacs, Sea Nymphs)

'er and Tim fallen out then? Uhuh

boki

Quote from: "Dirty Boy"
QuoteSarah Jones (Cardiacs, Sea Nymphs)

'er and Tim fallen out then? Uhuh

Yeah, some time ago I think.  From Smith to Jones, though, eh?  Who'd have thunk?

I've just put 'Heaven Born and Ever Bright' on and stone me if Jon Poole doesn't look like that Telly's Iaiaiain Lee on the cover.

[runs and hides]

Oh, and those wanting to see Mr Poole no longer looking like a lanky Kiss-obsessed X-box addict can catch him doing some strumming on Ginger's acoustic tour.

boki

For those not on the list of mailing...

QuoteThere now follows an announcement from THE ALPHABET BUSINESS CONCERN

There now follows an announcement from Tim Smith...

My name is Tim Smith.
Hello.
Tim Smith outa them Cardiacs.
Hello. We are recording a new LP record. While we are doing all that we are gonna do one of them 'gig' things. It's at The Astoria Theatre in London Town in England. That's right. It's on the 12th of November 2004. November is a good month in every way. It is the month where children and grown ups alike, all over our beautiful Island, year after year after year after year, celebrate the unspeakable torture and death of someone who tried to blow some buildings all up or something. Anyway. That's what we are doing, a 'gig'. It will be good. Really though, it will be a very good thing to go to for all kinds of reasons with shocks.

I'm not just saying that.

That's it. No doubt you will be told about all this again in more detail, but that a do for now I think. Just thought you should be told.

mice live in my house now

bloody things      (tiny)   (grey)

xxx

Almost Yearly

Fucking Angel fucking fire though, eh?

Quote from: "boki"I've seen him program a Cardiacs ringtone on a Nokia in seconds, which is scary power indeed.

Financies schminances, cunt.

Was it RES? I want the RES riff on my phone. It's perfect. The all broken up one from near the end. Deedleedleedleedleedleedlum Deedleedle- ... Deedleedleedleedle- ... um. Or whatever.

Aw, that Tim bloke and his mice make me all smiley they do.

I wonder what the shocks are. I got wobblies.

You can hug smaller bald moshing blokes too you know.

boki

Quote from: "Almost Yearly"Fucking Angel fucking fire though, eh?

Quote from: "boki"I've seen him program a Cardiacs ringtone on a Nokia in seconds, which is scary power indeed.

Financies schminances, cunt.

Was it RES? I want the RES riff on my phone. It's perfect. The all broken up one from near the end. Deedleedleedleedleedleedlum Deedleedle- ... Deedleedleedleedle- ... um. Or whatever.

Nah, don't think so, but it was a couple of years ago and after a couple of hours in a Wetherspoons pub...

RES would be a great ringtone.  It'd sound pretty much exactly like that Nokia theme on crack.

I'll be at the gig so long as there's still tickets left tomorrow (which there will be, I'm sure). Tomorrow's payday, and today feels like a light year away from payday.

Pilf

I've got two Cardies ringtones on my phone:

- The ABC (Home of Fadeless Splendour)
- The Big Ship chimes

If anyone wants them then I can send them to you!

(They're good)

And New album hey? wa hey!

boki

Quote from: "The Alphabet Business Concern"REX, The Alphabet Business Concern's CELEBRATION DOG, has done it again!
This time he has dug up LEFTOVERS! Not the kind of leftovers he'd have
liked to have dug up, but the kind of leftovers YOU'D WANT HIM to have
digged up! That's right! They are left over T-SHIRTS from the SPECIAL
GARAGE CONCERTS last Autumn! They are only available to people who were
there at the time but found themselves being a little "careful" with
their money. The concerts were recorded and will be released towards the
end of our 2004 so don't miss out on the chance of owning a strictly
limited cloth momentum... (only 100 were made).

There really is only a handful, so it's strictly first come first serve
and WELL DONE REX!!

http://www.cardiacs.com/merchandise.html

Towards the end of 2004, eh?  My guess is the 7498th December 2004.

Almost Yearly

Think I'll have to buy that and the new album for Rosco for his first Christmas. The lucky boy. Twinkle twinkle ching ching sleighbells.

I wonder if that's Rex on Guns. He looks like a Rex.

Hey - www.cardiacs.com has been updated. The shop's back up, with CDs of The Seaside and A Little Man re-pressed!!

Edit: Bollocks, A Little Man is "out of stock," ie: not bloody yet. Still, I'm nearly a digital completist now. Got a bit carried away there, heheh. But then you do don't you.

boki

There has been a new announcement from The Alphabet Business Concern.  I don't have it to hand, so here's a summary:

Cardiacs have been forbidden by ABC to perform any material from the new album, but will be playing a number of songs that have rarely been played live (and some that have yet to be played live).

They'll be doing a long set , starting at 8.30 (so presumably it's 2 hours).

Jon Poole has officially left and been replaced by Kavus Torabi.

Almost Yearly

QuoteSome of the more astute amongst you may have reached the conclusion that Cardiacs are working steadfastly towards the release of a new recorded musical album. This happens to indeed be the case although they are strictly forbidden from performing any of this unreleased maniacal magic at this forthcoming concert performance. A disappointment...? We at THE ALPHABET BUSINESS CONCERN vehemently disagree...!
Instead CARDIACS have been charged with the task of resurrecting many tunes that the majority of YOU our LOYAL FAMILY will have never heard performed live before and will be including some that have never been previously attempted before, for fear of the near impossible nature of the songs and the associated humiliation should such an endeavor fail.
Laughing and pointing gear at the ready, fishies.

http://www.cardiacs.com/news.html

< Heart rate breaks all records for a Tuesday lunchtime in the office >

boki

I think it's approaching time to discuss pre-gig refreshments - Moon Under Water perchance?  It's the Wetherspoons that used to be the Marquee.  

I've just been looking up train times and I'm resigned to staying the night in Bloodylondon :(

Almost Yearly

I shall endeavour to be there from about 7pm. I shall wear no wig, and shall be accompanied by a tall, odd-looking person.

never trust a hippy

boki were going back to brum/walsall if thats any good to yer u should be able to get a lift back with my mates who drivin

boki

Thanks for th offer, Col, but I think I'm sorted now.

Dirty Boy

Christ alive they look old! I wonder if Jim will make it till tomorrow night?

boki

What about Kavus' sidies, eh?  Cor!