Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 04:45:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Moaning About Record Store Day 2018 Thread

Started by Serge, March 06, 2018, 05:00:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Serge

There's some kind of announcement being made by the RSD people at 6 o'clock this evening, though whether it's going to be the list of releases, I'm not sure. It does seem quite early - last year they made the official announcement on March 21 for an RSD that took place on April 20, and given that this year's is April 21, I suspect it'll either be a partial announcement or just some other bollocks.

There are lists up of rumoured releases, though how close these are likely to be to the actual lists is another matter. And whether they're UK or US lists.

This story about yet another reissue of Pink Floyd's 'Piper At The Gates Of Dawn' came up in my Facebook feed earlier today. I don't know if there's a vinyl version of the mono mix available currently, but really? Does anybody really need this? With the hoo-hah about the revamped packaging, I also suspect it's not going to be cheap.

Also definitely confirmed are three David Bowie releases, none of which exactly fill me with jollification. A 12" single of the 'Let's Dance' demo! Backed with a live version! Er....I'll pass, ta. A triple live LP taken from the Isolar II tour in 1978......which basically replicates most of the tracklisting from the long-available (and barely listened to, in my case) 'Stage' album. And a repress of a late '70s promo called 'Bowie Now', which is a weirdly sequenced clutch of tracks taken from 'Low' and "Heroes"....which, given that both albums have recently been reissued on vinyl, seems like the most pointless cash-grabbing bit of fucking nonsense I've seen released under his name on RSD yet.

Ah well....I'm going to be broke and almost 100% unlikely to be anywhere near a record shop on the day itself, but here's the thread for the usual chat about it anyway....

holyzombiejesus

Just looking at the US list (a Jesus Jones 12"!)... Are there any new releases? Everything just seems to be reissued tat.

holyzombiejesus

Quote— Brian Eno and My Bloody Valentine's Kevin Shields will release a 12-inch featuring their recent collaboration, "Only Once Away My Son", along with a new track called "The West of History in Clouds".

— The National will release a live recording of The Boxer, taken from a November 9th, 2017 performance in Brussels, Belgium.

— Fleet Foxes will release a 7-inch featuring a recording of "Crack-Up" with the Icelandic women's choir Graduale Nobli. Consequence of Sound filmed the performance, which you can revisit here.

— The Cure will release Torn Down (Mixed Up Extra) containing 16 new remixes by frontman Robert Smith of classic tracks including "Three Imaginary Boys", "Just One Kids", and "Never Enough". Additionally, the band's original 1990 remix album, Mixed Up, is being reissued on vinyl for the first time.

— Arcade Fire will reissue their self-titled debut EP from 2004. It marks the record's first-ever vinyl release.

— Rage Against the Machine will release a live recording of their 2000 performance at the Democratic National Convention.

— Run the Jewels, this year's Record Store Day Global Ambassador, will release a Stay Gold metal box set featuring a clear etched vinyl 12-inch with Marvel Comics branding, an RTJ slipmat, and sticker.

— The Flaming Lips will release a 7-inch featuring two original songs inspired by their new Dogfish beer Dragons & YumYums.

— Courtney Barnett will reissue A Sea of Split Peas, a collection of her first two EPs, I've Got A Friend Called Emily Ferris and How To Carve A Carrot Into A Rose. For Record Store Day, the double EP will be available on picture disc and comes with a commemorative Mom+Pop 10-year poster, temporary tattoo and an instant digital download. Additionally, Barnett will release a 12-inch containing two tracks from her forthcoming album.

— Car Seat Headrest will release the original version of his 2011 album, Twin Fantasy, on vinyl for the first time. It's not to be confused with the reworked version of the album he recently released.

— Mac DeMarco will Old Dog Demos, a collection of never-before-released demos, instrumentals and an unreleased B-side.

— Phoenix will release an unreleased Ti Amo track called "Monologue" on heart-shaped 7-inch red vinyl.

— Swans will reissue their 1996 album, Die Tür ist zu, on vinyl for the first time in the US. It was previously only available in Germany on CD.

— Pink Floyd will release a remastered mono version of their 1967 debut album, The Piper At the Gates of Dawn.

— The Stooges will release the "Detroit Edition" of their self-titled debut album featuring bonus LP with material lifted from the deluxe Stooges CD box. Additionally, Iggy Pop will release Live At The Ritz, NYC 1986.

— U2 will release a 12-inch containing Beck's remix of their track "Lights of Home".

— Wilco will release Live At The Troubadour 11/12/96 on double vinyl.

Also due out: a trio of releases from David Bowie and a standalone release for Sufjan Stevens' contributions to the Call Me By Your Name soundtrack.

https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/03/record-store-day-2018-reveals-full-list-of-exclusive-releases/

Serge

The NME has printed a full list. Annoyingly, there are some nice things on there this year - yes, all reissues, but reissues I'd actually like to buy - if you look among the tosh. If I had very deep pockets and was up to it, I could make a dent there. It's certainly a lot stronger than the last two years, and at least somebody has stopped Peter Hook releasing nine live albums this time around.

EDIT: Here are the gems:

Bert Jansch – 'L.A. Turnaround'
Bert Jansch – 'Santa Barbara Honeymoon'
Bert Jansch – 'A Rare Conundrum'
Betty Wright – 'The Movie'
Bobbie Gentry – 'Live at the BBC'
Bunny Striker Lee – 'Reggae Going International 1967-76'
Cymande – 'Promised Heights'
Grant Green – 'Slick! Live at Oil Can Harry's'
Grant Green – 'Funk in France: From Paris to Antibes'
Jimmy Castor Bunch – 'It's Just Begun'
Laraaji – 'Sun Transformations'
Paddy Kingsland – 'The Changes' (OST)
Serge Gainsbourg – 'Le Pacha' (OST)
The Undisputed Truth – 'You + Me = Love / Sandman'

....and some of the V/A compilations look good, but I'd need to see what's on them first. Not sure what the Laraaji one is - given the title, I assume it's connected to last year's 'Sun Gong'?

BeardFaceMan

If record companies really wanted to support records they would release them every week instead of one day a  year.  As it is its the usual reissues clogging up the pressing plants and stopping new releases from coming out. I dont see how this day helps the industry or the fans at all.

purlieu

A couple I'm typically after:
The Amorphous Androgynous - The Isness (Abbey Road Cut) - previously only available as a promo CD, this is the first official commercial release of this far superior version of the album. I have it on CD but FSOL are the only people I routinely buy vinyl of too
The Future Sound of London - My Kingdom - newly recorded versions and 're-imaginings' of my favourite piece of music ever.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

QuoteAnd a repress of a late '70s promo called 'Bowie Now', which is a weirdly sequenced clutch of tracks taken from 'Low' and "Heroes"....which, given that both albums have recently been reissued on vinyl, seems like the most pointless cash-grabbing bit of fucking nonsense I've seen released under his name on RSD yet.

Haha holy shit that is low, for want of a better expression. It'll obviously shift every last bloody copy though and they'll take that as a sign that it's fine to just release Hunky Dory with a shuffled tracklist next year.

Danger Man

RSD has never been my cup of tea but

ANTONY GORMLEY – ' SOUNDS OF THE STUDIO '

WANT ONE

JesusAndYourBush

Does anyone know how many RSD participating stores there are globally.  I ask because when a record says there's a limited amount made between 1000 and 2000 copies, then how many copies will be at each store?  I found something saying there were around 200 stores in the UK but couldn't find any stats for other countries.  Each store is only going to have 2 or 3 copies of each disc, surely?

wosl

Quote from: Danger Man on March 07, 2018, 12:08:42 AMANTONY GORMLEY – ' SOUNDS OF THE STUDIO '

WANT ONE

If you have a pair of headphones, you better get 'em out and get 'em cranked up...

Captain Z

David Essex Reads the Tweets of Stephen Fry Mar 18th - May 27th 2016, 2 x 12" 180g gatefold vinyl - £31.99
The Stone Roses - Collected: The Singles Run-out Grooves, 10" Coloured Vinyl - £18.99
Alan Partridge - Dictaphone Messages (Remastered), 7" Picture disc - £15.99

Sebastian Cobb

The BBC Radiophonic Workshop recreates the sounds of Geoff Capes shitting into a wok - original lofi 16 rpm reproduction (he'd had eggs for lunch).

BlodwynPig

Quote from: purlieu on March 06, 2018, 09:05:41 PM
A couple I'm typically after:
The Amorphous Androgynous - The Isness (Abbey Road Cut) - previously only available as a promo CD, this is the first official commercial release of this far superior version of the album. I have it on CD but FSOL are the only people I routinely buy vinyl of too
The Future Sound of London - My Kingdom - newly recorded versions and 're-imaginings' of my favourite piece of music ever.

feat. Ozric Tentacles sample as well.

BlodwynPig

Some nice stuff there. Shame I'm now cold turkey on record buying.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Leave it to SPARKS to put out a decent release. Genuinely pretty hard to get track, ridiculous shaped vinyl, exactly what record store day should be about if it absolutely has to bloody happen every year...

Will still probably be a tenner though.

Golden E. Pump

No Prince, despite 21st April being the second year anniversary of his death?

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Anyone bother today? Would have tried for the Sparks one if I was back in the UK otherwise I'll just wait for that Bowie live album to turn up on CD/Spotify.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on March 06, 2018, 07:40:32 PM
— The Flaming Lips will release a 7-inch featuring two original songs inspired by their new Dogfish beer Dragons & YumYums.

I fear if Nagsworth hears about this his head will explode. Or he'll finally snap and kill the band. Either way, I'm not going to pm him about it. Tonight.

purlieu

Well the FSOL one is coming out on CD in a few weeks which a) is my format of choice and b) features two extra tracks. So no, I didn't bother.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: purlieu on April 21, 2018, 11:04:20 PM
Well the FSOL one is coming out on CD in a few weeks which a) is my format of choice and b) features two extra tracks. So no, I didn't bother.

Was this the My Kingdom re-imagined? (feat. Ozric Tentacles sample, of course).

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 07, 2018, 10:53:47 PM
The BBC Radiophonic Workshop recreates the sounds of Geoff Capes shitting into a wok - original lofi 16 rpm reproduction (he'd had eggs for lunch).

Pffft

No that's not me being sneery, it's the sound Geoff makes in the oft unheard sequel to this that I purchased today on 180 gram vinyl in which a full english breakfast exits his digestive tract onto RONS SNAX hot plate on the A1 near Durham.

purlieu

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 22, 2018, 12:23:30 AM
Was this the My Kingdom re-imagined? (feat. Ozric Tentacles sample, of course).
That's the one. Ozric Tentacles included, of course. CD out on 24th May.

holyzombiejesus

I didn't. I say this most years but most of the stuff that I think ooh! ooh! about, I get home and am either not that bothered about it or it's readily available, often at a cheaper price a few months down the line. I really don't give a flying fuck about limited coloured vinyl and picture discs, although would like some of the 'first time on vinyl' things. As I said though, I don't think the likes of Plush or Spectrum will have sold out and even if they do they're generally re-pressed on less expensive black vinyl a few months later. Wish I'd got the Bobby Gentry album of BBC sessions but I'd be surprised if a major label have gone to the effort of getting all this ready for release and then only ever press 300 copies.

Famous Mortimer

I forgot all about it, wandered into a record shop at about 3pm and it took me a while to figure out why it was so clean and nicely stocked when it's normally a jumble of shite (Slackers, Columbia, MO). They had stuff from previous years RSDs on sale, which I've never seen before - I guess outside of a handful of big name things, record shops rely on eBay scum to shift their RSD stock.

jobotic

What is vape culture as mentioned in that Vice thing?

I smoke fags but don't feel like part of some cigarette subculture. Actually there's a vaping bar in town. What the fuck for? They don't sell booze. I wouldn't to spend a second in a room of people smoking fags and that's it.

Quote from: jobotic on April 22, 2018, 01:25:48 PM
What is vape culture as mentioned in that Vice thing?

I smoke fags but don't feel like part of some cigarette subculture. Actually there's a vaping bar in town. What the fuck for? They don't sell booze. I wouldn't to spend a second in a room of people smoking fags and that's it.

Vape Nation, everybody's blowing clouds

Head Gardener

I just went to the car boots, am happy I did OK