Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:31:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

RIP NME

Started by SteveDave, March 07, 2018, 01:29:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jobotic

Quote from: Dr Rock on March 13, 2018, 05:58:10 PM
It was. Everyone thought 'fuck off Blur, we want to see the brilliant acts, why are you on this tour?' They proved themselves later admittedly.

Sure did. Still do.

Wet Blanket

Quote from: Serge on March 15, 2018, 11:27:23 AM
So far this year, I would recommend:

'Dead Magic' - Anna Von Hausswolff
'Transangelic Exodus' - Ezra Furman
'All Nerve' - The Breeders
'Freedom's Goblin' - Ty Segall

Seconded Dead Magic
Really liked Dream Wife by Dream Wife too

Dr Rock

Thank you I will legitimately obtain all of these and get back to you. Hugs.

JoeyBananaduck

Quote from: Wet Blanket on March 15, 2018, 11:54:54 AM
Seconded Dead Magic
Really liked Dream Wife by Dream Wife too

Which track should I try as a primer, please? Never heard of 'em.

Wet Blanket

"Somebody" by Dream Wife gives you the gist of them. They're a punky riot grrly sort of trio. I like their attitude.

Anna Von Hausswolff's Dead Magic is a bit like an early 80s Kate Bush record merged with the instrumental pieces from the new Twin Peaks, with a bit of Black Sabbath thrown in. You could pick a track from it randomly; all are about 10 minutes long but it's a great listen. I especially like 'The Truth, The Glow, The Fall' and 'The Mysterious Vanishing of Electra'

JoeyBananaduck

Quote from: Wet Blanket on March 15, 2018, 01:13:59 PM
"Somebody" by Dream Wife gives you the gist of them. They're a punky riot grrly sort of trio. I like their attitude.

Anna Von Hausswolff's Dead Magic is a bit like an early 80s Kate Bush record merged with the instrumental pieces from the new Twin Peaks, with a bit of Black Sabbath thrown in. You could pick a track from it randomly; all are about 10 minutes long but it's a great listen. I especially like 'The Truth, The Glow, The Fall' and 'The Mysterious Vanishing of Electra'

Both sound great. Cheers, will give them a spin.

axel

Will admit it felt weird not having anyone giving out free crap outside the tube station next to my office yesterday, but stopped reading NME regularly years ago. Still got there end of year lists because i love that sort of thing at Christmas.
Can also recommend 'Louder Than War' magazine, which despite usually having old bands on the cover actually includes lots of new music. It also leans slightly more to my rockist tastes than the Quietus website (which i also love).

Brundle-Fly

I started reading the NME around 1981. Mainly stood in WH Smith reading it that is, too skint/stingy back then. I began buying it every week by the late eighties but couldn't get that excited about grebo, house music or Carter USM. I was waiting for Britpop/trip hop/Jungle (to a lesser extent) to happen.
They did happen but it all fizzled by the end of 1997 and then it was all Dad Rock bands and the Nu Metal clouds were gathering on the horizon. All The 'somethings' bands by the noughties killed it stone dead for me.

I used to like a magazine called Jockey Slut after that but only really for the cover mount CDS of new electronica and interesting downbeat stuff.

An old favourite NME item of mine was Linehan & Matthews Dr Crawshaft's World Of Pop strips. Could be wrong but I can't imagine any millenial going for this comedy conceit now; although parodies of 19th-century satirical cartoons were hardly the sexiest of propositions for a young person's music mag even back in 1992, I guess?

Dr Rock

Dead Magic is brilliant, right up my street and everyone should give it try.
The Breeder's hasn't made much of an impact so far, that may change, but it's a bit of a cheat to use such a band to say there's still loads of great music around, just like the old days. They are the old days, nobody in the band is under 50.

Didn't like the other two, sorry. Might give Ezra Furman a few more listens. (so far, all  albums have had three listen's each). I'm guessing you'd at least agree the last ten years would not be the best ten years rock/pop music's ever had? And further, that this is because millennials are talentless cunts with stupid beards - and that's just their children! - whose only use to me is to feel smug yet effortlessly sad about how I was there when Gods still walked the Earth and all they have are... are... wait, must channell the spirit of the NME... ersatz simulacra of a (G)Olden Ages that they can taste but never have the ingredients to - because they stopped making them, and then the list was lost, lost to the breeze of 'Nothing Last's Forever' by The Bunnymen or other wind-based songs from good bands.

Aside from 'Dead Magic' by Anna Von Hausswolff, obv, that's brilliant. But just that one.

Ferris

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on March 17, 2018, 06:02:04 PM
An old favourite NME item of mine was Linehan & Matthews Dr Crawshaft's World Of Pop strips. Could be wrong but I can't imagine any millenial going for this comedy conceit now; although parodies of 19th-century satirical cartoons were hardly the sexiest of propositions for a young person's music mag even back in 1992, I guess?

These are fantastic - really enjoyed them, thanks! A quick google hasn't revealed any more, alas.

Serge

Quote from: Dr Rock on March 17, 2018, 06:54:52 PM
I'm guessing you'd at least agree the last ten years would not be the best ten years rock/pop music's ever had?

No, no, I absolutely wouldn't! Have you seen the lengths of the 'best of' lists I post every year? I would say that there was definitely a fallow period between (roughly) 1998 and 2005, though I'm sure I could still find enough from those years to enjoy, but I think things have certainly picked up again since, and I can barely keep up with all of the stuff I'd like to hear.

Glad you liked Anna Von Hausswolff, though!

non capisco

The Anna Von Hausswolff album is head spinningly great.

kidsick5000

For that alone, maximum karma and a proposal of marriage.
So damn gloriously doom-laden it has really made me feel better about life - if that makes any sense

How are the other music mags holding up?

How long until RIP Kerrang?

kidsick5000

Quote from: thecuriousorange on March 25, 2018, 10:11:43 PM
How are the other music mags holding up?

How long until RIP Kerrang?

It'll probably last until the end of print (along with some angling mags)

Hat FM

i read the nme and melody maker from around 95 or so until their demise, or at least until the nme became free and even worse than it had been. I remember the palpable joy of seeing super furry animals second album on the 'whats on the nme stereo' list with a glowing two line comment and getting so excited having previously had no idea when a new album would be coming. Nowadays with all this social media we are constantly informed of what our favourite band are up to if its just 'day 1 in the studio', 'putting down the drum tracks' or 'choosing the artwork' on an album but back then there was a cloak of mystery behind band activity that was only revealed every wednesday in the news pages.

RIP NME

jobotic

One of my favourite Profanisaurus entries was a description of the large, hairy, rather ripe gentlemen that frequent the heavy metal scene.

Kerrang-utans.

Brundle-Fly

I know an old sub-editor of Kerrang and it surprised me when he revealed their biggest percentage of readership now is young women. I asked him what happened to all the old Maiden and Scorpions fans?, he replied, " They work on Kerrang."

gilbertharding

Quote from: jobotic on March 26, 2018, 03:20:40 PM
One of my favourite Profanisaurus entries was a description of the large, hairy, rather ripe gentlemen that frequent the heavy metal scene.

Kerrang-utans.

There's a BRILLIANT couple I see in my local Sainsbury's from time to time. They're in their mid 50s, and she is always smartly dressed straight from the office. Modern, clean, crisp. He looks like Rick Parfitt's nightmare. Shaggy hair, reactolite shades, band (or festival) T-shirt with massive beer belly under skintight stretch double denim and white Hi-Tech squash trainers. Honestly, it's like the Sealed Knot if they did re-enactments of Donnington '86.

I'd love to know what they talk about.

Jockice

I did a few reviews for Kerrang a long time ago, despite not really being a rock fan. For what turned out to be my last one (they didn't sack me, I just couldn't be arsed. It wasn't really my scene) I deliberately misspelled my surname (which begins with a K sound but not the letter K, if you see what I mean). They actually printed it under that spelling, which I found amusing. Then they sent me a cheque also under that spelling, which I also found amusing. Then I took it in to the bank to cash it and they wouldn't take it. Which I didn't find that amusing.

I kept that cheque in my wallet for years though. It was a story I could always break the ice with when meeting new people.

the ouch cube

Kerrang! and The Wire, despite seemingly having nothing in common, will likely be here til doomsday. They know more or less who their readers are and what they want, and give it to them. Whereas the indie press started ignoring the readerships they'd built up in favour of chasing a new readership that probably didn't exist.

edit: people talk about K!'s resilience being because of "the diehard loyalty of metal fans", but it doesn't cover much metal and arguably never did. But it did milk the emo/pop-punk thing like billy-o, and that's an audience which is constantly renewing itself, because there are always sulky eleven-year-old who hang around on skate ramps (not knocking them, but they are eternal).

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: jobotic on March 26, 2018, 03:20:40 PM

Kerrang-utans.

One of my favourites is hump.

1. To have sex with.
2. To move heavy amplification equipment to and from a gig venue.

As a drummer, I have considerably more experience of 2 than 1.

Quote from: Jockice on March 26, 2018, 07:08:03 PM
I did a few reviews for Kerrang

That's Cherrang! to you, matey.

phantom_power

Quote from: gilbertharding on March 26, 2018, 05:17:17 PM
There's a BRILLIANT couple I see in my local Sainsbury's from time to time. They're in their mid 50s, and she is always smartly dressed straight from the office. Modern, clean, crisp. He looks like Rick Parfitt's nightmare. Shaggy hair, reactolite shades, band (or festival) T-shirt with massive beer belly under skintight stretch double denim and white Hi-Tech squash trainers. Honestly, it's like the Sealed Knot if they did re-enactments of Donnington '86.

I'd love to know what they talk about.

I know a similar couple, though a bit younger. She is also into the same music but you wouldn't know to look at her

Jockice

Quote from: phantom_power on April 03, 2018, 09:21:16 AM
I know a similar couple, though a bit younger. She is also into the same music but you wouldn't know to look at her

i know the opposite. In their early 50s, he is Mr Straight whereas she is a wild gothic type with hair all over the place, a selection of all-black outfits, loads of bangles etc. They just don't look like they should be together, but they have for around 30 years and they have both always looked like that, so fair play to them.

momatt

Picked up a new NME today, which is odd as they finished.

It's a festival guide, if that makes any difference.

axel2019

Sorry to re-start an old thread, but it looks like the NME name is coming back as a 'high-hype brand' magazine!

Only available via Dawsons music shop website. I believe all the actual shops (bar one) are now shut down.

By the sounds of this interview it will be awful, but you never know.
BTW the interview is full of so called trade-speak (marketing bollocks)

https://variety.com/2023/music/global/nme-print-magazine-relaunch-1235674465/

Anyone heard D4vid? The first artist on the cover of the relaunch.

Bourgeois Pig Shit List

Mmm, I just love me some Caledcott Music Group content, especially in the high-hype area of artificially created scarcity - and so do all my cool friends.

The Mollusk

Quote from: axel2019 on July 21, 2023, 06:34:37 AMSorry to re-start an old thread

Why not start a new one then?

MoreauVasz

Kerrang still going tho.

phantom_power

Fucking hell, got one paragraph into that awful bollocks and had to vomit copiously and burn my computer