Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,582,203
  • Total Topics: 106,728
  • Online Today: 897
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 03:55:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Silicon Valley season 5

Started by up_the_hampipe, March 07, 2018, 06:10:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

c

Well, I don't hold that against Dan Lyons. His book Disrupted - a memoir about being made redundant in middle age and going to work for a bunch of millennials at an awful tech company - is funny, thoughtful and excellent.

Also, as Lyons was a writer on the show, and as Gruber had a long-standing public beef with Lyons for DARING to mock Steve Jobs in his Fake Steve Jobs column, and as this notable Gruberism was picked up for mockery in that very show - doesn't this make it really quite likely (although, granted, not definite) that it is pointed at Gruber?

Here he is arguing with someone on Twitter about it:
https://twitter.com/BenedictEvans/status/775520871523815425?s=19

kngen

Quote from: c on March 29, 2018, 08:18:47 AM
Well, I don't hold that against Dan Lyons. His book Disrupted - a memoir about being made redundant in middle age and going to work for a bunch of millennials at an awful tech company - is funny, thoughtful and excellent.

Also, as Lyons was a writer on the show, and as Gruber had a long-standing public beef with Lyons for DARING to mock Steve Jobs in his Fake Steve Jobs column, and as this notable Gruberism was picked up for mockery in that very show - doesn't this make it really quite likely (although, granted, not definite) that it is pointed at Gruber?

Here he is arguing with someone on Twitter about it:
https://twitter.com/BenedictEvans/status/775520871523815425?s=19

You make a compelling case.

Ant Farm Keyboard

The mannerism doesn't bother me, but that's because I'm French, and we make both names and adjectives agree. Also, I'm a big fan of the "these son of a bitches" speech from Samurai Cop.

Besides, Lyons wasn't part of the writing staff anymore during previous season. He only got credits for seasons 2 and 3 (is it the right spelling?). Which is why, even if Gruber needs a good cock-punching, I doubt he was the target of this very specific joke.

rasta-spouse

I got the feeling this jumped shark near the end of season 2. And around s4 the cold opens just stop being funny, which is another big jump sign. I don't pay much attention to the writing credits, but whoever's writing it now (if it has changed at all) doesn't seem to care about the characters as much.  Jian Yang pig stuff is so creepy, and there seems to be a personality vacuum caused by Miller's departure.

Quote from: rasta-spouse on April 03, 2018, 01:49:39 AM
I got the feeling this jumped shark near the end of season 2. And around s4 the cold opens just stop being funny, which is another big jump sign. I don't pay much attention to the writing credits, but whoever's writing it now (if it has changed at all) doesn't seem to care about the characters as much.  Jian Yang pig stuff is so creepy, and there seems to be a personality vacuum caused by Miller's departure.

Yeah I'm mulling giving it up now. Last two episodes just haven't intrigued me in any way, and been some minor chuckles.

Noodle Lizard

I'm still in, but that whole subplot with the COO and Richard presented like they were having an affair is straight out of a 90s sitcom.  Absolutely horrific writing for a show of this caliber.  Just a weak episode overall, though I did like the inclusion of Napalm Death.

dirkgonnadirk

different strokes for different folks. i thought this was the best episode in a long, long time, and i've seen a similar consensus elsewhere. it was actually consistently funny (not hilarious) throughout, whereas in recent weeks i've barely cracked a smile. characters actually behaved fairly normally and the dialogue was both funny and natural. for example, jared was absolutely great throughout, whereas a lot of the time his lines have a tendency to be too exaggerated (e.g. kevin/creed once the office got past S4 or so). overall it felt like something out of the early seasons.

the worst part was the overuse of the song joke...

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on April 09, 2018, 10:27:40 PM
I'm still in, but that whole subplot with the COO and Richard presented like they were having an affair is straight out of a 90s sitcom.  Absolutely horrific writing for a show of this caliber.  Just a weak episode overall, though I did like the inclusion of Napalm Death.

Yeah, I felt like that, it really was like something from a different sitcom. I kind of admire them for trying something different at least, but they didn't put their own unique spin on it so it was all a bit rubbish. It's a shame as the rest of the episode was very very funny stuff, with Jared once again getting some amazing lines - Richard wishing him sweet dreams and Jared responding "If only" caught me off guard and made me laugh for a long old while. Though that also might possibly be due to it being my own response when wished such a thing.

BeardFaceMan

I'm tired of Jian Yang now, such a one note character, and the fact he's played with such a heavy accent doesn't help. With Erlich gone he has no reason to exist, he needs to go too.

Paaaaul

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on April 10, 2018, 08:53:22 PM
TJ Miller is doing well http://deadline.com/2018/04/t-j-miller-charged-calling-in-fake-bomb-threat-train-arrested-1202361644/
His first new podcast in months and months was released today. On it he describes a prank he played on a train platform. Not this prank though.

rasta-spouse

Another poor one - the main story seems just an afterthought now. In the early seasons there's always an interesting new side character, and an interesting new tech scenario to keep you glued per episode. Standards slip.

Also, last ep when Richard said he had $8 million in his bank account - I had no idea these guys were that minted by now. Previous seasons did a good enough job of creating enough jeopardy for PP that I'd never dwelt on something like this. But now I'm like, fuck this guy, he's fine.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on April 10, 2018, 08:53:22 PM
TJ Miller is doing well http://deadline.com/2018/04/t-j-miller-charged-calling-in-fake-bomb-threat-train-arrested-1202361644/

Christ.  Usually actors who play buffoons on shows go out of their way to prove that they're not like that in real life.  TJ seems dead set on trying to prove that he's actually worse.

Small Man Big Horse

It's been renewed for a sixth season, I'm sure you'll all be overjoyed to hear.

Also: Here's a clip of Zach Woods on Conan which is short but very funny: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=110&v=5uWRuUkQFrk

Timothy

New season?!

I enjoy this season, but was expecting it to work towards the end of the show. Can't imagine another season being good.

Schnapple

Afraid to say that I've given up on this. The first few episodes just lacked any momentum whatsoever, and even when they break out of the endless sabotage situation narratives, I don't really like any of the characters much anymore. However, I don't miss Erlich.

Z

Quote from: rasta-spouse on April 11, 2018, 07:31:01 AM
Another poor one - the main story seems just an afterthought now. In the early seasons there's always an interesting new side character, and an interesting new tech scenario to keep you glued per episode. Standards slip.

Also, last ep when Richard said he had $8 million in his bank account - I had no idea these guys were that minted by now. Previous seasons did a good enough job of creating enough jeopardy for PP that I'd never dwelt on something like this. But now I'm like, fuck this guy, he's fine.
$8 Million is really inaccurate too, if he's funded to afford a staff of 50 then thats probably something like a funding round of $16 million, possibly lower considering the product has such a thorough tech focus (so not much in the way or marketing expenses or w/e in this round). But that money is paid out in increments so the chances of having a huge chunk like that seem highly unlikely.

I don't mind this season, but, to me, it moreso highlights that they could've easily moved outta the fucking incubator at the start of season 2, it's adjusted to the new environment fine. Everything else is falling apart though.

Losing Erlich has left a weird hollowness to it. Gavin Belson feels oddly out of sync with absolutely everything after last season abandoning what could've been a decent exit for him
...and where exactly are Laurie and the other one? Has Amanda Crew even been in this season?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Schnapple on April 14, 2018, 03:06:05 PM
Afraid to say that I've given up on this. The first few episodes just lacked any momentum whatsoever, and even when they break out of the endless sabotage situation narratives, I don't really like any of the characters much anymore. However, I don't miss Erlich.

I'm in it for Zach Woods, and still like it enough to keep watching, but it's easily the weakest season so far for me and last year wasn't that great. I just hope the sixth season is the final one, and they can play it out appropriately.

The Lion King

I am watching the first episode now .....Richard is quite stressful to watch, he's always irate whereas in earlier seasons he had an endearing bag o nerves quality abut him. I guess that's what being a CEO does to a man. Why does he hate the pizza app man so much?

BeardFaceMan

I need to rewatch this from the first season, I dont remember Jin Yang being such a massive cunt. I thought it was just Erlich he hated, not everyone he comes into contact with. Hes really spoiling this season for me.

Timothy

I agree. Without Erlich his character doesn't really add anything to the series.

momatt

Big head returns!
I liked this episode, lots of nice little moments.

Looks like they're sticking with the permanent, one-step-forward-two-steps-back formula.

BeardFaceMan

I saw a theory on reddit that Jared has actually had Jin Yang killed because Richard half-jokingly asked him to which would be very dark but funny and also fit with the character.

dirkgonnadirk

inexcusably bad episode. christ.

rasta-spouse

It's really not the same show. I assume it's a big property for HBO, aren't there people looking after it to make sure it doesn't suck?

up_the_hampipe

Timothy

I have tickets for TJ Miller in Europe in a few months. Wonder if that show will be canceled.

Ant Farm Keyboard

At this point, you can mostly speculate on the range of his ankle monitor.

Timothy

Didn't enjoy this last episode. Or this season.

Noodle Lizard

Yeah, this is rubbish.  Oh well, a good 5 season run.