Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,470
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:20:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Graham Linetransexclusionary

Started by ieXush2i, March 08, 2018, 12:12:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

There's probably an interesting discussion in how free Chinese cinema would be compared to 'free' America where although technically free if you want military kit in your film then you have to surrender artistic freedom because they will make sure you paint the military in a good light, or if your film sends the wrong message you'll lose all your financial backing, or upset the wrong people and never work again.

Schnapple

The thread title is still making me laugh.

Funcrusher

It probably needs re-titling as Graham LineTranAnh-Hung, now it's about Asian cinema.

zomgmouse

What do you do about the vicious cycle of there being no trans actors marketable enough to "carry a big film" but also no one's casting trans actors in the first place because they're not marketable because no one's casting them because they're not marketable because no one's casting them in favour of cis actors

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: zomgmouse on July 17, 2018, 10:01:36 AM
What do you do about the vicious cycle of there being no trans actors marketable enough to "carry a big film" but also no one's casting trans actors in the first place because they're not marketable because no one's casting them because they're not marketable because no one's casting them in favour of cis actors

Surely just a matter of time before that does change, though.  There was that series on the Beeb a while ago, and more recently A Fantastic Woman, which was incredibly well received critically and didn't do too badly at the box office considering it was a South American low budget indie.

Baby steps, but steps forward I think.

Kelvin

Quote from: zomgmouse on July 17, 2018, 10:01:36 AM

Well, as I suggested earlier in the thread, the priority (initially) should be casting trans actors in supporting roles, so that we end up with a generation of actors who can move from supporting roles to lead roles, once they're become well known and popular enough. 

edit: it's just about risk limitation for a studio. If an actor has been successful and popular in something - even a smaller role - they are deemed less of a risk when casting lead roles that carry an entire film and it's budget. Unknown actors of any race, gender, sexuality, etc, are going to struggle to get those roles, generally speaking, and this is obviously an even bigger problem for minorities because they have fewer opportunities to prove themselves in something smaller first. That's what needs to change.

And to be able to play any role, not just a trans character.

Kelvin

Quote from: dontrunyoullfall on July 17, 2018, 11:33:02 AM

Well, lots of roles wouldn't matter if a character was trans anyway, but the example here is actually the role of a (real life) trans person. Which is what raised the question of why a trans actor wasn't cast. 

There's a wider scenario of actors becoming bankable so that they can 'open' movies though, isn't there?

Kelvin

Quote from: dontrunyoullfall on July 17, 2018, 11:42:03 AM
There's a wider scenario of actors becoming bankable so that they can 'open' movies though, isn't there?

How do you mean? Isn't that what I've already alluded to in my other posts?

Kelvin

I mean, we need a situation where, if roles arise which would suit a trans actors, they aren't limited by not being well known enough.

And for other, non-trans roles, I suppose that depends on what the role is. Can the role be adapted from a cis character, to a trans interpretation of the same character, could more trans roles be written, or can trans actors play cis roles. The answer to all of those questions, is almost certainly yes.   

Paul Calf

All-trans Shakespeare surely can't be very far in the future.

phantom_power

I think with most supporting roles the gender is pretty irrelevant. A male or female character could be played as a trans character by a trans actor. You wouldn't even need to broach the subject of people playing genders different to their own in order to increase the profile of trans actors

Blumf

Quote from: dontrunyoullfall on July 17, 2018, 11:33:02 AM

Are you thinking of the eventual Germaine Greer bio-pic?

The only funding for that may come from Germaine herself so....

Ray Travez

Quote from: Paul Calf on July 17, 2018, 11:52:59 AM
All-trans Shakespeare surely can't be very far in the future.

to ze or not to ze, that is the question

manticore

Quote from: dontrunyoullfall on July 17, 2018, 01:10:20 PM
The only funding for that may come from Germaine herself so....

Given that she says things like this:

QuoteWhile most of her books have a strong autobiographical thread, she believes biographers are "parasitic". When she heard that an Australian female author was planning to chronicle her life, Greer was characteristically forthright, calling her a "dung beetle" and warning: "If you go near my mother, you'll have your kneecaps broken."

I can't really see that happening.

Greer's mother sounds a bit tasty with a mallet. Fair warning.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on July 14, 2018, 10:06:26 PM
There was that time in 97 where Jet Li and Jackie Chan (and Sammo Hung on U.S. tv) were breaking through in American films but that was largely to do with HK stars being scared of what would happen when HK was handed back to China. A lot of the big names got American and Canadian visa which is partly why Jet, John Woo, Chow Yun-fat, Jackie Chan etc started popping up in American films. I think their failure to break through as lasting stars was down to the vehicles being poor.

I doubt Jackie Chan was particularly worried about that.

Bronzy

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on July 18, 2018, 05:37:25 PM
I doubt Jackie Chan was particularly worried about that.

He could just beat up all the men and stop their willies working then shag all the women cause he's cool as fuck

Ferris

Quote from: Bronzy on July 19, 2018, 02:29:02 AM
He could just beat up all the men and stop their willies working then shag all the women cause he's cool as fuck

That would have been my plan, certainly.

Dr Rock

popcorn

Occasionally I see tweets from Graham Linehan. I have had absolutely no idea what he is talking about for several weeks.

phantom_power

His current bugbear is a trans woman who sexually assaulted several inmates in a women's prison

Clownbaby

Does he not get bored of talking about this?

FredNurke

He just goes on, goes on, goes on, goes on, goes on, goes on, goes on, goes on...

New Jack

Quote from: phantom_power on July 19, 2018, 01:27:47 PM
His current bugbear is a trans woman who sexually assaulted several inmates in a women's prison

Does the bugbear still possess their...

Oh you know what, I don't want to know. Learning about alleged trans crime cases from Graham Linehan's twitter feed is a barrel I don't have room to scrape, what with the many other barrels.

His twitter feed reads like it's written by an out of touch weirdo who can't help but put his foot in it, and 'it' here is a wide, vague plural covering everything. I also accept I am struggling with the art of simile here.

If I were on Twitter I'd refer to Graham in the third person as They. Hey, it got Milverton banned

Barry Admin

Edit: I believe the term used was "it" rather than "they", actually.

Ah yes:
https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,58627.msg3065786.html#msg3065786

Quote from: FredNurke on July 19, 2018, 02:27:44 PM
He just goes on, goes on, goes on, goes on, goes on, goes on, goes on, goes on...

:-D

marquis_de_sad

Just read that medium post. I wanted to highlight this bit:

QuoteThese are two example of Linehan chastising people for using the word "TERF" from just this month alone. TERF, as stated earlier in the article, is an acronym for "Trans Exclusive Radical Feminist". The people it is used to refer to are Radical Feminists who don't include Trans people in their activism. That is not a slur or an insult but a literal, factual description of their position.

A number of people here have said something similar. I think it's rather naive. Words get meaning through usage. Words like 'Jap' and 'p**i' were originally literal, factual terms for a person's nationality. But they became slurs through being used in racist contexts. There's no reason why something similar shouldn't happen with 'TERF'.

Twed

Can you give any example of how it HAS happened, though? Otherwise you can just say that about absolutely everything until we'd coddling nazis.