Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:12:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Favorite Movies of all-time?

Started by MortSahlFan, March 08, 2018, 12:22:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 10, 2018, 12:50:16 AM
Sutherland's done some decent films hasn't he?

Y'know what I've not seen Don't Look Now. I must remedy that.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on March 10, 2018, 01:16:43 AM
Y'know what I've not seen Don't Look Now. I must remedy that.

I ought to watch Kelley's Heroes really.

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 10, 2018, 01:18:21 AM

The last time I saw that I must have been about 10 years old and loved it. I was obsessed with war films as a kid and I remember this one being one of the best at the time. Not sure I was qualified to make that judgement at that age but I also loved The Eagle has landed too. And Damn Busters.

MortSahlFan

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on March 09, 2018, 12:51:03 AM

Fat City

I think you're the only person who rated this higher than me. It would be in my Top 20 - Stacy Keach' performance is one of the best..

Lots of great taste in here.. I've been on a movie slump, and hopefully can use a previous recommendation to get me back.

itsfredtitmus

i was surprised by how much naked there is in this thread

remember seeing someone saying that naked would be martin scorsese or gasper noe's favourite leigh so therefore it's the least good Mike Leigh Film

MortSahlFan

I love "Naked" and many other movies by Mike Leigh, except Mr. Turner... "Abigail's Party" got old after a while, but I'll watch it again.. I really love Ken Loach,.. Speaking of other great British movies, "Loneliness of a long-distance runner" "The Collector" "Peeping Tom"

Sebastian Cobb

I downloaded Abigail's party a while back but haven't gotten around to it.

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 11, 2018, 01:15:15 PM
I downloaded Abigail's party a while back but haven't gotten around to it.

I really like Abigail's Party. I've put it on during stay at home dates and I'm yet to find someone who didn't ask me why I watch such boring things. It's really not boring. Watch it very soon.

newbridge

Quote from: MortSahlFan on March 11, 2018, 01:00:27 PM
I love "Naked" and many other movies by Mike Leigh, except Mr. Turner... "Abigail's Party" got old after a while, but I'll watch it again.. I really love Ken Loach,.. Speaking of other great British movies, "Loneliness of a long-distance runner" "The Collector" "Peeping Tom"

Mr. Turner and Meantime are the only good Mike Leigh films that I've seen. I hate Naked. Purposelessly unpleasant.

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: newbridge on March 12, 2018, 12:41:54 AM
Mr. Turner and Meantime are the only good Mike Leigh films that I've seen. I hate Naked. Purposelessly unpleasant.
warch bleak moments or grown ups or hard labour
Naked isn't very interesting as a Leigh picture at all

zomgmouse

I don't think I've seen a Mike Leigh film I haven't at least liked, if not loved. And I've seen a lot of Mike Leigh films.

Lemming

After Hours (1985)
Die Hard (1988)
12 Angry Men (1957)
The Third Man (1949)
Beavis and Butt-Head Do America (1996)
Memento (2000)
Nights of Cabiria (1957)
Yojimbo (1961)

HONOURABLE RUNNER-UP LIST:
Sunset Boulevard (1950)
Commando (1985) (exclusively for Bennett)
The entire filmography of Neil Breen
Southern Comfort (1981)
Chocolate (2008)
The Room (2003)

phantom_power

Robocop
After Hours
The Royal Tenenbaums
Harold and Maude
Goodfellas
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Magnolia
Star Wars
Shaun of the Dead
The Princess Bride

are the first 10 off the top of my head but I am sure I have missed some out. It is based on the films I have watched most and affect me the most

MortSahlFan

Quote from: MortSahlFan on March 08, 2018, 12:22:55 PM

Harry and Tonto
La Strada
Nashville
They Shoot Horses, Don't They?
Network
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
The Battle of Algiers
Treasure of the Sierra Madre
A Woman Under The Influence
Buffalo '66
La Grande Illusion
Mr. Deeds Goes To Town

la grande illsuion
the seventh seal
ace in the hole
wild strawberries
mccabe and mrs. miller
-Fat City
the misfits
a child is waiting
mikey and nicky
a face in the crowd
on the waterfront
Birdman of alcatraz
12 angry men
grapes of wrath
elmer gantry
annie hall
sunset boulevard
johnny got his gun
harold and maude
umberto D
A Taste of Cherry
the devil and daniel webster
taxi driver
a cloockwork orange
the godfather
rashomon
ikiru
bicycle thieves
citizen kane
the swimmer
seven samurai
gentleman's agreement
shane
shoeshine
You can't take it with you
the outlaw josey wales
red beard
dodsworth
the incident
never on sunday
the rules of the game
last tango in paris

Kane Jones

I'm not a film buff in the same way a lot of you are. My taste is pretty mainstream really, so here are some films I've watched loads of times;

Raiders Of The Lost Ark
Jaws
John Carpenter's The Thing
The Shining
This Is.. Spinal Tap
An American Werewolf In London
Pulp Fiction
The Usual Suspects
Raising Arizona
Back To The Future

Stuff like that.

Dr Rock

MortSahlFan

Quote from: Dr Rock on March 12, 2018, 06:56:48 PM

One of my favorite actors.. There's a great documentary/interview on YouTube w/ Dick Cavett.. Interesting guy that Mitchum, and always believable on the screen.. All fine movies, never saw "His Kind of Woman".. Tried to watch "Macao" - which I thought I'd love since the same director made one of my favorite movies with "Ana-ta-han".

Dr Rock

His Kind Of Woman is a strange one. Scenes of brutal torture then Vincent Price turns up, steals the movie and it turns into a load of fun. Worth seeking out.

an IMDB review
QuoteBesides that the original film had few laughs in it and Hughes did get a good streak of inspiration when he hired Vincent Price as the film was being re-shot for the second time and integrated scenes with him into the plot. Price plays a Hollywood swashbuckling movie star, shades of Errol Flynn, who really steals the film from both stars. It's a part that calls for Price to overact outrageously and he does so. His Kind of Woman is worth seeing for him alone.

Dr Rock

Mr Banlon

I watched 'The Friends of Eddie Coyle' for the first time recently.
Considering I'm 48 and love grimy 70s movies that may/or may not have downer endings, I'm surprised I've never got round to watching it before.
I guess I thought it might be something like the risible John Wayne flicks Brannigan and McQ. You know, old movie star from the 40s/50s well past their prime in a shit film to boost the box-office.
John Wayne was playing John Wayne in both those films (the same way DeNiro and Pacino are in whatever films they're in today)
In 'The Friends of Eddie Coyle' you forget that Robert Mitchum is/was a famous star after about 5 minutes. He's Eddie Coyle, a bit of a fucking loser, with a bunch of cunt 'friends'.
Anyway, long story short, The Freinds of Eddie Coyle is now one of my favourite movies of all time.

MortSahlFan

Eddie Coyle is awesome.. Mitchum can play that role, too.

Too bad Pacino and De Niro continue to make stupid movies... They could easily take a small pay-cut and give a great (but small low-budget movie) a lot of exposure ala "Buffalo '66" which had Ben Gazzarra (who helps EVERY indie director from Cassavetes on), Anjelica Huston, Mickey Rourke, blonde Arquette, Christina Ricci, and of course, Vincent Gallo (his second movie sucked).

There's a new YouTube interview of McQueen, I think it's youtube. Found a nice book online of his on pdf format.

Bazooka

Ernest Goes to Camp (1987)
Ernest Saves Christmas (1988)
Ernest Goes to Jail (1990)
Ernest Scared Stupid (1991)
Ernest Rides Again (1993)
Ernest Goes to School (1994)
Slam Dunk Ernest (1995) (direct-to-video)
Ernest Goes to Africa (1997) (direct-to-video)

Quote from: Mr Banlon on March 12, 2018, 11:16:30 PM
I watched 'The Friends of Eddie Coyle' for the first time recently.
Considering I'm 48 and love grimy 70s movies that may/or may not have downer endings, I'm surprised I've never got round to watching it before.

In 'The Friends of Eddie Coyle' you forget that Robert Mitchum is/was a famous star after about 5 minutes. He's Eddie Coyle, a bit of a fucking loser, with a bunch of cunt 'friends'.
Anyway, long story short, The Freinds of Eddie Coyle is now one of my favourite movies of all time.

Agree, love that film. If you haven't already seen it, Killing Them Softly has a similar vibe to it. Much more recent but a great cast: Ben Mendelsohn, James Gandolfini, Johnny Sack from the Sopranos, Ray Liotta and Brad Pitt. Trailer doesn't really do justice to how seedy and grim it is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDyaNnrgdp4

The Driver is another good shout

zomgmouse

Re Mitchum: everyone should watch The Big Steal. It's fun, fast and furious. Don Siegel baking a fine cake, and one of the few noirs that work well set outdoors, in the country in daylight (obviously there's a few, but there's few), plus one of the greatest car chases I've seen. And all in 1949.

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on March 12, 2018, 06:41:09 PM
TOO MANY LETTERS
MY EYES HURT

Was going to look these up before I realised you were making a comment about there being lots of lists.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 10, 2018, 01:18:21 AM

You really ought to, it's fantastic.

Neville Chamberlain

Whenever anyone asks me what my favourite films are, which doesn't really happen much, I always immediately think of The Shining, The Wicker Man, Eraserhead and Dead Man's Shoes.

weaseldust

2001: A Space Odyssey
Ace in the Hole
Alien
City Lights
A Clockwork Orange
The Crowd
Double Indemnity
Forbidden Zone
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
Greed
The Lost Weekend