Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 12:58:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Sopranos prequel film

Started by Custard, March 08, 2018, 06:11:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Custard

itsfredtitmus

David Chase should go back to Northern Exposure

Custard

I hope it shows how Livia got her dressing gown

colacentral

I think The Sopranos is the greatest series of all time, maybe the best thing of all time, but I'm not sure I care about a prequel film with no Tony, no Christopher, no Phil Leotardo etc. The Sopranos' greatness lay in those characters, especially the writing and performance of Gandolfini's Tony.

I'm guessing that in reality it will have no relationship to the show other than being set in New Jersey and having the mafia in it. Chase probably got the screenplay sold on the basis that it's a prequel, as it's something they can use to market it.

newbridge

Would be great if in the last five seconds the movie cuts to Tony sitting in the diner and it's revealed that he closed his eyes and dreamed the whole thing. (Going to need to CGI Gandolfini, obviously)

Mr Banlon

Always thought the actor who played Tony's dad in the flashback episode was rubbish, so hopefully they won't use him.

Tbh I'm not expecting anything more than cameos from The Sopranos characters.

- little kid faints in the street, the protagonist runs over.
- Dad comes over too: 'Ey, fuggedabouddit. It's just my son Tony Soprano having one of his panic attacks. It's like the kid needs a shrink or somethin.'
- Bespectacled uncle chimes in: 'I tell ya that boy will never have the makings of a varsity athlete.'

And the audience at home are like, 'Ooooh, that must be Tony from the old series!'

Alberon

Ignatius_S

Chase was/is a frustrated film screenwriter – a major reason that he remained in TV, is that the films he wanted to make were no longer de riguer and his attempts in the early 1980s were instructive.

A few years back, Chase directed and wrote a feature film, which is pretty awful – probably its most striking feature was how self-indulgent it was. This news makes a lot of sense.

Wet Blanket

I think he's been wanting to make this for a long time; I seem to recall he makes reference to the idea in Difficult Men, Brett Martin's (excellent) book about the 'new golden age' dramas of the noughties.

Bazooka

Quote from: newbridge on March 09, 2018, 12:09:23 AM
Would be great if in the last five seconds the movie cuts to Tony sitting in the diner and it's revealed that he closed his eyes and dreamed the whole thing. (Going to need to CGI Gandolfini, obviously)

Custard

I would celebrate if he announced a prequel series based around Tony's dad and Junior rising up. But it'd probably be covering much the same ground, wouldn't it

I still think The Sopranos is my all-time favourite show. I rewatch it every few years, and love it more each and every time. It's my idea of perfect telly

colacentral

Quote from: Ignatius_S on March 09, 2018, 10:48:41 AM
Chase was/is a frustrated film screenwriter – a major reason that he remained in TV, is that the films he wanted to make were no longer de riguer and his attempts in the early 1980s were instructive.

A few years back, Chase directed and wrote a feature film, which is pretty awful – probably its most striking feature was how self-indulgent it was. This news makes a lot of sense.

I only saw half of that film, on a laptop, in a house of a friend when I had nothing else to watch, but I liked what I saw. I know it was a bomb at the box office though.

I agree that the flashbacks in The Sopranos were the worst bits, and I never liked the actor who played Tony's dad either. It's likely that that's what the film will entail, which I really am not keen to see. It pains me to say as I really do love The Sopranos more than anything, other than possibly Seinfeld and The Simpsons. As good as TV gets.

Dr Syntax Head

No Gandolfini? Can't be arsed. Happy to be surprised though.

Quote from: colacentral on March 09, 2018, 08:57:36 PM
I agree that the flashbacks in The Sopranos were the worst bits

Yeah, Sopranos usually maintained a high standard and could hold its own against the best gangster films out there. But those flashbacks always seemed like 'ersatz Goodfellas', like a shit TV/straight-to-video movie that would have a name like Clipped: The Guns of Cosa Nostra, starring Armand Assante and Joe Mantegna.

But I dunno. Maybe a Sopronas prequel could be good, if its the main focus. I don't think they spent much money or time on those flashbacks.