Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:11:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Trespass is the new shit pranking

Started by Artemis, March 09, 2018, 03:44:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artemis

Quote from: newbridge on March 25, 2018, 03:07:05 PM
Yeah, that probably is about getting hits/making money though, since moron Ryan Taylor is sadly more popular and famous on YouTube.

Ryan was well ahead but the gap has narrowed:

RT: 1,227,604
AL: 1,214,604

Meanwhile Ally's back to getting palms sweaty again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxZ_pW2HWLE

It sounds trite but some kind of serious accident is inevitable if he keeps that kind of thing up (the bridge bit, I mean).

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Nobody Soup on March 25, 2018, 05:32:11 AM
this is so true, I take photos quite a lot, and the number of times I've had security guards and police claim I'm breaking the law because they don't really like a person hanging about with a camera is absurd. (I know the law because after the 2nd time I got threatened with being arrested for taking pictures of a statue in a government building's car park I decided to bone up).

I don't know if it's they don't actually know the law, and just feel they should be able to tell people to stop acting in a way that annoys them, or they are purposefully trying to abuse authority but frankly, I'm with the youtubers here.

I also do some urban exploring myself anyway so I can hardly not be.

At one point this became so rife there was a site that contained a pdf that photographers could print and laminate to show security guards and police the relevant section of the law.

hamfist

Quote from: Artemis on June 30, 2018, 04:48:38 AM
Ryan was well ahead but the gap has narrowed:

RT: 1,227,604
AL: 1,214,604

Meanwhile Ally's back to getting palms sweaty again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxZ_pW2HWLE

It sounds trite but some kind of serious accident is inevitable if he keeps that kind of thing up (the bridge bit, I mean).

That bridge climb proper made me anxious, you can hear how scared they are.

Artemis

Coming home to roost now, innit. Ally's put up a video essentially begging for money to help fight proposed charges which could see his channel destroyed overnight. It's being pitched as 'save the madnesses' but in reality, it's hard to see how he can hope for anything other than a lenient judge, especially given he's basically filmed and published all the evidence himself. He genuinely seems to believe his human rights are being stripped from him, bless him.

Probably best he gets out while he's on top now anyway. It's difficult to see where he could go from here except more of the same. It appears that it'll be a hard truth for him to have to adjust to the brutal reality that sneaking on top of cranes won't sustain a working life, as much as I'm sure it's given him a taste of cash.

BritishHobo

Aye, fascinating video from him last night. I think so many of his fans are either too young or too daft to consider that something like this was always inevitable. People in those comments agog at the idea that somebody's freedoms could be curtailed for any reason, as if the idea of prisons has never been invented.

On one hand I love the guy and I've always thought fair fucks to him for seeing and doing these amazing things. On the other hand he must have known this would happen. Filming all of it and putting it online. Like you, I just can't see a way that this ends with him getting off and continuing as he is.

Quote from: BritishHobo on March 10, 2018, 12:21:17 PM
Endemol recently tried to settle with him and Ryan Taylor outside of court by offering to drop charges or something if they could retain all the footage of the pair breaking into the Big Brother house, and loads of his fans have convinced themselves that's blackmail and that now he could beat them in court because they've done that.

Hindsight is 20/20 and all that.

madhair60

Hope all these people die. Fuckin cunts.

BritishHobo

His fans in the comments really are thick as pigshit. Loads of them urging him to keep doing it, from the safety of their bedrooms, despite the fact that a jail sentence is a very real possibility hanging over him. They're pretending it's concern for him, but it just gives away that they're happy for him to reap the consequences as long as they get to watch cool videos.

Many other people saying he should keep doing it but use a different platform, which suggests that they genuinely believe that the threat of getting three strikes on your YouTube account is a more pressing concern than actual prison. Fucking bells.

imitationleather

Quote from: BritishHobo on December 24, 2018, 04:51:54 PM
His fans in the comments really are thick as pigshit. Loads of them urging him to keep doing it, from the safety of their bedrooms, despite the fact that a jail sentence is a very real possibility hanging over him. They're pretending it's concern for him, but it just gives away that they're happy for him to reap the consequences as long as they get to watch cool videos.

Many other people saying he should keep doing it but use a different platform, which suggests that they genuinely believe that the threat of getting three strikes on your YouTube account is a more pressing concern than actual prison. Fucking bells.

To be honest I'm not sure he's massively cleverer than them. It was only the threat of YouTube removing his channel that made him knock it on the head. I would've thought that these vlogging celebs would have agents and solicitors and whatnot telling them that no fucking about the police are absolutely desperate to put you in prison and uploading all these videos is only making it easier for them to find some conviction that will stick. I get the impression he never took the legal threat at all seriously and if anything it just spurred him on to be even more irresponsible. For some reason he was under the impression he was totally bulletproof.

I have watched and been entertained by his videos, but he does come across as an utter dolt with regards to how the world actually works.

BritishHobo

Yeah that's true enough. I think they've gotten quite far holding onto the fact that 'trespassing is a civil offence', which, while true, seemed to always get thrown about as a guarantee that they could never get into any real trouble. Which, as you say, underestimates the determination of the police if they're determined to get you.

I wonder if it'll be too little too late. From the way he explained it, it sounds like the guilty verdict has been made, it's just the sentencing left. So even if he doesn't do a single other thing before then, it may not change anything.

imitationleather

The stuff about them putting a CBO on him now he has a conviction makes it sound like it is 100% game over. Even if he avoids prison this time he's going to have the threat of it hanging over him indefinitely now. I didn't really get the bit where his YouTube channel told him they thought that it would blow over after a while. Er no, that's not how it works. Once you've got a previous conviction it is never blowing over. It's either stop doing anything illegal (and anything that's a grey area but annoys the police) or get used to racking up charge after charge. I guess that did suggest he has been receiving some pretty shit advice all this time.

hamfist

I like Ally. He needs to get picked up to present a tv show on mad / hard to reach places, he'd be great.

Phil_A

Quote from: imitationleather on December 24, 2018, 05:09:16 PM
To be honest I'm not sure he's massively cleverer than them. It was only the threat of YouTube removing his channel that made him knock it on the head. I would've thought that these vlogging celebs would have agents and solicitors and whatnot telling them that no fucking about

Generally they don't, this has been an issue with celebrity youtubers forever - not having agents or managers to tell them not to be idiots.

The biggest names are signed up with Multi-Channel Networks like Machinima, but they're only involved as far the promotional and production side of things. They don't provide the same kind of support you'd expect in any other media sphere, no helpful training or advice on how to deal with bad situations. Basically when things go a bit south, the sponsors go "You've fucked it, you're on your own mate" and disappear. It's a shit business.

BritishHobo

It'll be interesting to see how many people are willing to follow him over to a paid platform. Given the fucking shit that usually gets chatted in the comments below his videos, I suspect a lot of his fans will be needing to borrow their parents' credit cards - and a lot of them are saying they've enjoyed their time with him but won't be paying.

I still think fair fucks to him though. Why not fuck off Britain and crack on climbing shit across Europe? If he's able to sustain himself doing it, best of luck to him. I kinda admire the spirit of doing all this shit - he does seem like someone who's aware of the consequences but just really loves doing it.

imitationleather

Ooh... Unfortunately there is just no way his fanbase are going to pay £2.99 a month for videos.

I subscribe to Jim Can't Swim's (very good true crime stuff) Patreon for $1/month and would pay more if he asked for it, but those videos are obviously aimed at an older audience more willing to crack open the plastic for some streaming action. Kids either can't or won't pay. And expecting them to go on an entirely different site as well! Good luck with that!

It's a shame because I think Ally seems like a nice lad, if quite naive about a lot of stuff.

Quote from: imitationleather on May 19, 2019, 12:31:09 PM
Ooh... Unfortunately there is just no way his fanbase are going to pay £2.99 a month for videos.

I subscribe to Jim Can't Swim's (very good true crime stuff) Patreon for $1/month and would pay more if he asked for it, but those videos are obviously aimed at an older audience more willing to crack open the plastic for some streaming action. Kids either can't or won't pay. And expecting them to go on an entirely different site as well! Good luck with that!

It's a shame because I think Ally seems like a nice lad, if quite naive about a lot of stuff.

You'd be surprised the random Z-list content creators that manage to make a semi-living off Patreon subscribers. Ally Law is much more famous and has millions of followers. He only needs 1000 to sign up to be pulling in £3000/month, which is quite generous consider he mostly lives in a van and eats bran muffins.

Chollis

Quote from: Better Midlands on May 19, 2019, 09:47:44 AM
The madness is back (just not in the UK or on Youtube)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DcUfO1EHaPo

Those comments! Wall-to-wall "sorry mate not paying cheers though"

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on May 19, 2019, 04:31:21 PM
You'd be surprised the random Z-list content creators that manage to make a semi-living off Patreon subscribers. Ally Law is much more famous and has millions of followers. He only needs 1000 to sign up to be pulling in £3000/month, which is quite generous consider he mostly lives in a van and eats bran muffins.

Hardly a stellar income, given the stakes. And I reckon people will not be keen to pay over and over unless you are coming up with extraordinary videos, which puts the stakes even higher.

imitationleather

I wonder how long him doing the stunts in Europe will last before the far less patient police over there beat the living shit out of him.

BritishHobo

The other problem is that he can't really use any established platforms. Patreon might be alright for a bit, but eventually they'll probably enforce similar restrictions to YouTube.

shrimp

Quote from: imitationleather on May 19, 2019, 07:15:36 PM
I wonder how long him doing the stunts in Europe will last before the far less patient police over there beat the living shit out of him.
By the comments people are thinking he's doing nothing wrong and the madness is never going to end. I see a lot of comments saying go to different countries as the police are not like the one's in the uk. Do you think the uk police will be watching him an warn other countries of his intensions.

phes

Really glad this thread introduced me to Ally Law and totally agree with whoever said earlier in the thread that they don't get the credit they deserve on account of being young and lacking pretension. When it's good it's reaaaally good and by and large Ally seems to avoid straying into dickhead territory. I like it when they target swanky, exclusive places and manage to snatch and distribute a little immaterial joy. There's something magical about that but perhaps I'm just an immature twat.

My favourite one is one where the security guard/cop shakes his head and says I just don't get why after being caught last week you'd go and do something this foolish again, and they respond accordingly and all look at their feet and mumble about making silly mistakes. He's so far from comprehending their life choices that he might as well be an alien, and they know it. See also I had a job and a mortgage at your age.