Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 01:11:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Antivirus

Started by Funcrusher, March 09, 2018, 09:08:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funcrusher

So, the free sub to McAfee on my new laptop is about to expire. Anyone advise on what antivirus I should get? I'd prefer free if there's a free one that's reliable enough, or I'm willing to pay a small sub monthly if that gets me better protection.

Wilbur

https://shop.eset.co.uk/catalogue/home

Are very good, not massively expensive, have a very small footprint and wont rip you off by increasing their charges after year one. All the free ones tend to be substandard (Microsoft) or naggy bloatware (AVG, Avast).

Funcrusher

Cheers for that. Have installed one of theirs on a free trial and will probably get a sub. Looks good.

asids

MalwareBytes is pretty good, however the free version doesn't have real-time protection so you only have a manually selected scanning schedule. Premium is £30 a year I believe.

Wilbur

Quote from: asids on March 09, 2018, 04:58:46 PM
MalwareBytes is pretty good, however the free version doesn't have real-time protection so you only have a manually selected scanning schedule. Premium is £30 a year I believe.

It is indeed fine. However it's not anti-virus software in the traditional sense. It may incidentally prevent/remove viruses but it is primarily designed to prevent malware and potentially unwanted programs.

asids

Quote from: Wilbur on March 09, 2018, 05:03:18 PM
It is indeed fine. However it's not anti-virus software in the traditional sense. It may incidentally prevent/remove viruses but it is primarily designed to prevent malware and potentially unwanted programs.

You're right, I just saw "anti-virus" and thought it as a blanket term.

Sebastian Cobb

Avira seems alright for not being too naggy or bloated as far as free ones go.