Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,473
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 03:27:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy: Hexagonal Phase

Started by Replies From View, March 09, 2018, 10:05:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

idunnosomename

God the singing bit was so bad i wanted to plunge my head into the le creuset full of boiling pasta

It's abominable. Where is the wider outrage? Even though I'm no super fan Adam's legacy deserves better than this.

gloria

I thought the teleportation medley was the best bit of last night's ep, as I have real affection for those daft songs in Restaurant at the End of the Universe. There's a whole album of Hitchhiker songs waiting to be recorded - The Song of the Ol' Janx Spirit, Share and Enjoy, Reg Nullify's cabaret turn, Marvin's 'Electric Sheep' song from LTU&E. Philip Pope's Krikkiters' McCartney pastiche is superb too.

I was told a few years ago that Radio 4 didn't want to touch the Colfer book with a bargepole, in terms of a full cast adaptation. Seems they changed their minds when they realised they needed something for the 40th anniversary.

All the post-Adams Hitchhiker material ramps the whimsy up to the max at the expense of the bleaker, almost Kafkaesque atmosphere that permeates Adams's own material. It's the Hitchhiker equivalent of Spamalot.

olliebean

Bloody hell, this is supposed to be for the 40th anniversary? That's pretty bleak in itself.

ajsmith2

I wonder if they're gonna work in the Hotblack Desiato/Disaster Area stuff into this series, as that's another bit that hasn't yet appeared in the radio version, so would technically be Adams material new to this medium.

Famous Mortimer

On the plus side, the "complete radio series" CD box set doesn't have any of this in it.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 15, 2018, 08:37:31 PM
Where is the wider outrage? Even though I'm no super fan Adam's legacy deserves better than this.

I've been a fan of the whole franchise since I was a kid, especially the books and TV series, but I can't be bothered to listen to this just as I couldn't be bothered to read Mostly Fanfiction so my outrage levels remain at zero.

olliebean

Did anyone stick with this to the end? I downloaded them all, but tbh haven't felt motivated to listen past episode 1 yet. Just wondering if it improved.

I am enjoying the subsequent re-broadcast of the previous 5 series, though, and the opportunity to grab 320kbps rips from iPlayer to replace the 128kbps versions I had before.

gatchamandave

Yes, I did.

No, they don't

Spoiler warning

Arthur and Ford part company. Ford simply announced he was off to rejoin the HHGttG offices and Arthur goes off in search of Fenchurch. Whom he finds again.

And that's it for the friends who kicked off the whole saga. They just say cheerio. But not ina downplayed kinda Englishmen in space way. They just walk off in different directions
i

Oh, and twenty minutes in the company of Mitch Benn as Thor. Which is twenty one minutes more than he deserved.

timebug

Gave up on the pathetic excuse for a book,
so I doubt I will ever hear this. It's not just
me, then?

gloria

Quote from: timebug on June 25, 2018, 10:04:52 AM
Gave up on the pathetic excuse for a book,
so I doubt I will ever hear this. It's not just
me, then?

None of the post-Adams radio series capture the true spirit of Hitchhiker, for me. They think it's all about whimsical alien names and miss the satire and almost Kafkaesque bleakness of the original, both of which act as a necessary and satisfying counterbalance to the silly stuff.

petril

yeah it's a bit like The Terminator in a way. There were five books, two radio series, a telly series and a game. And that was it.

Replies From View

Quote from: petrilTanaka on June 25, 2018, 04:21:53 PM
yeah it's a bit like The Terminator in a way. There were five books, two radio series, a telly series and a game. And that was it.

Plus James Cameron wrote three stories of late 1970s Doctor Who, one of which was left unfinished due to an industrial strike.

magval

I've never listened to any of the radio stuff. Should I just leave it at the first two series then?

gloria

Quote from: magval on June 25, 2018, 04:46:12 PM
I've never listened to any of the radio stuff. Should I just leave it at the first two series then?

The first two radio series are great. There's loads of brilliant stuff that doesn't crop up in any other versions. Series 3 onwards are non-essential but worth checking out the first ep or two to see if you like it.

olliebean

Quote from: gloria on June 25, 2018, 10:37:03 AM

None of the post-Adams radio series capture the true spirit of Hitchhiker, for me. They think it's all about whimsical alien names and miss the satire and almost Kafkaesque bleakness of the original, both of which act as a necessary and satisfying counterbalance to the silly stuff.

Agreed, and the same applies to the film. They were at least based on Adams' material, though, so had some echoes of his brilliance left in them.

St_Eddie

Quote from: olliebean on June 25, 2018, 07:42:23 PM
Agreed, and the same applies to the film. They were at least based on Adams' material, though, so had some echoes of his brilliance left in them.

A bit like a loved one, suffering from severe dementia.  Those brief moments where their old self shines through the mire of nonsensical gibberish, scant make up for the sadness it brings to see such a pale imitation of their former majesty.

Replies From View

Quote from: magval on June 25, 2018, 04:46:12 PM

Certainly check out the first two if you are a Hitchhiker's fan.  The first radio series came before the books (some people think it's a dramatisation of the first book, but the radio version was first), and the second radio series is a fun continuation of the story (and not duplicated in any other medium as far as I am aware) before it all started to feel a bit tired.

idunnosomename

Does Zaphod have two anuses, and if so, is one painted on?

magval

Right, I'm going to buy the first series. Can some one link me to the best version to buy? Think I saw an edition with a 4th CD of Adams docs somewhere but can't see it on Amazon.

Bad Ambassador

That's this one (sorry, don't know how to affiliate links). Both Adams-written series, with a further two discs of documentaries. The individual series sets have been 'remastered', ie reedited by Dirk Maggs to conform with his own later series. It's more music substitutions than anything else, but he should know not to tinker for no reason.

magval

Thanks BA, it's only about £30 on ebay so I'll go for that one.

Famous Mortimer

I still have this on my shelf:

(and the computer game that came with the peril-sensitive sunglasses, the miniature space fleet in a bag, and all the other bits, but that's not strictly germane to this conversation)

magval

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: magval on June 26, 2018, 02:11:06 PM
Are those cassettes? That's lovely.
Yes, it was a fiver from a charity shop, years ago.

timebug

I had that same Casette Tape set. I gave a friend
of a friend a fiver for mine too! Then I was given the
cds by a family member and I naturally have the Mp3s
that are all over t'interweb!

Replies From View

My Dad taped the original radio broadcast, unless they repeated them shortly afterwards and he taped that.

I copied his tapes for myself, then I got these CDs at some point:

And I gave my taped copies to a work colleague as a retirement present.  I was obsessive at that time about printing labels that matched up and contained extra information, so it was quite a neat bundle of 6 cassettes he received in a little cardboard box that I had cut to size.

olliebean

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on June 26, 2018, 10:53:01 AM
That's this one (sorry, don't know how to affiliate links). Both Adams-written series, with a further two discs of documentaries. The individual series sets have been 'remastered', ie reedited by Dirk Maggs to conform with his own later series. It's more music substitutions than anything else, but he should know not to tinker for no reason.

Wasn't the reason that they couldn't get the non-broadcast rights to the excerpt from Shine On You Crazy Diamond that was played in one episode? (There may possibly have been other music substitutions for the same reason, but I don't think there was any Lucas-esque vanity tinkering, was there?)

Mind you, that isn't the version I've got (I've got the CD version of the shiny tape set pictured in FM's post), so I may be talking out of my arse.

Replies From View

Quote from: olliebean on June 30, 2018, 01:44:25 PM
Wasn't the reason that they couldn't get the non-broadcast rights to the excerpt from Shine On You Crazy Diamond that was played in one episode? (There may possibly have been other music substitutions for the same reason, but I don't think there was any Lucas-esque vanity tinkering, was there?)

The later radio versions of Hitchhikers used an inferior version of 'Journey of the Sorcerer', and if I'm not mistaken the earlier series were then edited to include this inferior version too.

Maybe somebody could correct me but that was my understanding.

olliebean

Quote from: Replies From View on June 30, 2018, 01:48:01 PM
The later radio versions of Hitchhikers used an inferior version of 'Journey of the Sorcerer', and if I'm not mistaken the earlier series were then edited to include this inferior version too.

Maybe somebody could correct me but that was my understanding.

If the original broadcasts used the Eagles' recording of the track, and they later switched it to a cover version, that was probably a rights issue too. Did they change it on later re-broadcasts of the first two series, or just on the non-broadcast releases?