Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:59:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Being Blacker

Started by Sebastian Cobb, March 09, 2018, 07:34:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Blacker Dread and Molly Dineen were on worldwidefm earlier promoting this documentary that goes out on Monday, BBC2 at 9pm. I can't say I've heard of him before but it sounded like it would be quite interesting.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09w3wjg

After a ten-year absence, acclaimed film-maker Molly Dineen is back with a new feature documentary, Being Blacker.

The film tells the story of the renowned reggae record shop owner and music producer Blacker Dread, his extended family, friends and the wider Brixton community. Made with Dineen's characteristic intimacy, the film focuses on a tumultuous time in Blacker's life - the death of his mother and the prospect of his first prison sentence.

While the documentary focuses on Blacker's journey, it also features a wider cast - best friend and former armed robber Naptali is struggling to go straight, sister June is trying to maintain family ties after their mother's death, and partner Maureen is ensuring their youngest son maintains his exceptional school grades in Jamaica, having been excluded from school in the UK.

With the unprecedented access granted by her old friend, Dineen shines a spotlight on the struggles the subjects face on a daily basis. Being Blacker offers a particular understanding of both the challenges and triumphs of family and community togetherness, as well as a unique insight into being black in Britain in 2018.

RedRevolver

I already replied to the other thread, but on the point of him doing the radio show...is he here visiting, or has he not managed to move back to Jamaica yet? I really liked the idea of him spending the rest of his days smoking da ganja and basking in the sun. He deserves it.