Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:41:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Smart man DESTROY Cathy Newman on her own show

Started by ajsmith2, March 10, 2018, 11:22:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

he does sound like Kermit though, there's no getting round that

bgmnts

I think personality can affect someone's voice massively.

PeasOnSticks

Quote from: Petey Pate on March 13, 2018, 02:51:47 PM

What's noticeable is how carefully Peterson picks his battles. I've not seen him debate any experts - in say, civil rights law, postmodern philosophy or even non-Jungian psychologists - who would substantially critique his arguments. TV news journalists and Joe Rogan aren't exactly intellectual heavyweights.

That's true. He seems to like putting himself up against news anchors who've spent half an hour being briefed on who he is before the interview. But he does seem pained in many of these appearances, which endears him to me. JP is at his most convincing when he's visibly suffering as he talks about suffering - for instance here, where he comes across almost as a Shakespearean tragic figure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bviGjamg6GM

Twit 2

Indeed, his self-pity is palpable in that clip

PeasOnSticks

Quote from: Twit 2 on March 13, 2018, 11:35:08 PM
That's just a man having a breakdown.

Arguably, yes - which makes it quite compelling. And the self-pity is part of what lends the video its tragic element. It's a despairing, self-flagellating rant which attempts to convince listeners to bear their burden and get on with life, coming from a man possibly in the throes of a breakdown. There are certainly less interesting academics out there.

bgmnts

A man having a breakdown makes all this far right nonsense worth it, in a way.

newbridge

rue the polywhirl

Being prepared to show emotion and having a lot of heart = having a mental breakdown according to some.

Twit 2

Danger Man

Quote from: rue the polywhirl on March 14, 2018, 12:26:48 AM
Being prepared to show emotion and having a lot of heart = having a mental breakdown according to some.

And if you can't find fault with what he says, then attack the comments section.

If all else fails then say he has a squeaky voice.

There's been endless debunking of his ideas in other threads, but you can't separate a cult from their leader it seems...

newbridge

Quote from: Danger Man on March 14, 2018, 12:31:44 AM
And if you can't find fault with what he says, then attack the comments section.

If all else fails then say he has a squeaky voice.

What is his message, exactly? Genuinely asking because I've heard his name but don't know. That video seemed to boil down to "everybody's life is equally bad so women and minorities should stop complaining," which seems a bit suspect coming from a wealthy white man (who is a university professor with lifetime tenure?)

The 'message' is the same one the Christian right-wing have always had: progress is bad (perhaps FATAL), maybe we should go backwards?

Lemming

The simultaneous revulsion and obsessive fascination almost every online right-wing "thinker" or "philosopher" or "commentator" (or however else they style themselves) feels towards sex is incredible.

garbed_attic

Quote from: phantom_power on March 13, 2018, 02:48:57 PM
His equating of progressive issues with Marxism and the ensuing frothing about genocide makes him look like a right rodney plonker

Indeed. Surely Marxism (collectivist!) and identity politics  (individualist!) are not obvious bedfellows. A lot of older blokes on the Left clearly struggle with yer progressive identitarian praxis!

Peterson goes even further than mere confusion about political distinctions and careens headfirst into reactionary paranoia:
QuoteI will never use words I hate, like the trendy and artificially constructed words "zhe" and "zher." These words are at the vanguard of a post-modern, radical leftist ideology that I detest, and which is, in my professional opinion, frighteningly similar to the Marxist doctrines that killed at least 100 million people in the 20th century.

You see? Using non-gender specific pronouns may well cause many millions to die! This man has the tools to sort out your life!

bgmnts

I must say i used to not understand political commentators and contemporary thinkers because they were a lot smarter than me and had a greater understanding of political concepts.

Now i still dont understand political commentators and contemporary thinkers because they are mental and nothing makes any sense.

Progress.

Bhazor

Quote from: gout_pony on March 14, 2018, 01:19:40 AM
Indeed. Surely Marxism (collectivist!) and identity politics  (individualist!) are not obvious bedfellows. A lot of older blokes on the Left clearly struggle with yer progressive identitarian praxis!

The problem seems to be he can never make up his mind what postmodernism is. Half the time its about individualism destroying the cohesive unity of society, which is something that totes exists, and the other half its about collectivism destroying our precious individualism. Then usually it's something about how Disney films are about gays or whatever.

It is amazing how tightly the anti higher education, anti intellectual elitist alt right cling to anyone with a modicum of academic success. The power of speaking loudly and clear in a tweed jacket.

He reminds me of one of those professors who upon reaching tenure suddenly start preaching about the healing power of crystals and how we can talk to dolphins.

Nowhere Man

I find it mind boggling that this is apparently a 55 year old man with grey hair. From those twitter posts above, (which I read before I watched the video) I assumed he was about about 25 years old and a member of 4chan's /pol/.

It's all actually kind of pathetic isn't it?

AllisonSays

It's also kind of alarming to me that there's no peer review process where someone can take JP to task for pretending to have read lots of shit that he clearly hasn't. He's an awful name-dropper.

ieXush2i

He's not keen on people who don't have children either. Especially if you're a woman.

He wavers back and forth on his Christian status, doesn't he?

kngen

Quote from: gout_pony on March 14, 2018, 01:19:40 AM

This is the thing that gets me - it's really fucking basic stuff. He might be shit-hot on Jungian collective consciousness or whatever he's paid by Toronto Uni to waffle on about, but he knows fuck all about political theory. Reminds me of Tories in the 80s moaning about 'Trotskyite Anarchists'.

kngen

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on March 14, 2018, 12:49:24 AM
The 'message' is the same one the Christian right-wing have always had: progress is bad (perhaps FATAL), maybe we should go backwards?

... and women are terrifying!

Bhazor

I wish women were like the women in his mad fantasies. Russ Meyeresque Amazonians locking men in their dungeon for the purpose of procreation and physical labor. Where do I sign up?

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on March 14, 2018, 12:49:24 AM

I doubt Jordan Peterson is typical of the Christian right. Why do you think the Christian right are against progress? Perhaps their idea of progress is different to yours.