Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,184
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:30:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Smart man DESTROY Cathy Newman on her own show

Started by ajsmith2, March 10, 2018, 11:22:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
I couldn't possibly imagine why I would think that

ieXush2i

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on March 14, 2018, 11:07:47 AM
I doubt Jordan Peterson is typical of the Christian right. Why do you think the Christian right are against progress? Perhaps their idea of progress is different to yours.

QuoteHe is not a Christian but that does not mean that the Lord cannot use him to speak his truth into our culture.

https://www.christiantoday.com/article/is-jordan-peterson-the-new-messiah/124312.htm

Soup

He'll burn out soon enough. The man has nothing to say beyond "straighten up and fly right with your bootstraps", "it was better in the old days when men were men and women were women". His academic work might be interesting, jungian readings of the bible and that sounds alright. But his public persona is so dull, and his self-help-cum-anti-left-iconoclasm is so tedious, such a lukewarm reheat of things said a thousand times over for the past, what? six decades at least, that his prominence is a phenomenon that could only arise from the current culture wars. Give it a decade, he'll be a "huh, remember him?"

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: (Ex poster) on March 14, 2018, 11:24:12 AM
https://www.christiantoday.com/article/is-jordan-peterson-the-new-messiah/124312.htm

That is just one article on one Christian website by one person though. I'm not defending Peterson but I don't see him as typical of the Chrisitian Right. Of course, that partly depends on how you define the Christian Right.

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on March 14, 2018, 11:34:52 AM
That is just one article on one Christian website by one person though. I'm not defending Peterson but I don't see him as typical of the Chrisitian Right. Of course, that partly depends on how you define the Christian Right.

Can you elaborate on how his message is particularly distinct from that of the Christian right? He seems pretty close to me. i.e. Adherence to traditional gender roles will solve societies problems, the death of god has created a moral vacuum that the state has crawled into, deviation from tradition will lead to collapse etc. etc.

ieXush2i

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on March 14, 2018, 11:42:16 AM
Can you elaborate on how his message is particularly distinct from that of the Christian right? He seems pretty close to me. i.e. Adherence to traditional gender roles will solve societies problems, the death of god has created a moral vacuum that the state has crawled into, deviation from tradition will lead to collapse etc. etc.

The Bible is fucking great etc

Dr Rock

In his TV interviews, he's good at not saying much, and being evasive about what he thinks. His tweets show he is bonkers though.

The bible thing too, yes

It should also be noted that Peterson opposed the recent referendum on legalising gay marriage in Australia on the basis that the 'Yes to legalisation' campaign was backed by 'cultural marxists' who wanted to undermine traditional societal roles.

phantom_power

Quote from: Dr Rock on March 14, 2018, 12:14:41 PM
In his TV interviews, he's good at not saying much, and being evasive about what he thinks. His tweets show he is bonkers though.

Yes, someone I know likes him mainly down to his interviews where he often makes a sort of sense. It is clear though that he only presents the more acceptable parts of his opinions in these interviews and leaves the rabid stuff for Twitter and other outlets. As an example in that terrible interview from another thread he says he would call people whatever they choose to be called and he was only railing against being ordered to do so from on high. That runs contrary to what he is quoted as saying up-thread about never using those terms.

Why has a Jungian psychoanalyst being an "authority" on social politics anyway?

ajsmith2

Quote from: phantom_power on March 14, 2018, 12:33:56 PM

Why has a Jungian psychoanalyst being an "authority" on social politics anyway?

He is a Smart Man. He is learned in the Olde Ways, before the oppressive reign of Cultural Marxism. We must learn from his precious knowledge, and store it in our folklore to pass down to our children.

ieXush2i

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on March 14, 2018, 12:16:04 PM
The bible thing too, yes

It should also be noted that Peterson opposed the recent referendum on legalising gay marriage in Australia on the basis that the 'Yes to legalisation' campaign was backed by 'cultural marxists' who wanted to undermine traditional societal roles.

Fucking hell! I didn't know that https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jef2C4T1_A

It's like he can't quite conceptualise of homosexuals (or the working class) as humans.

Non Stop Dancer

I wonder if (Ex poster) and Monsieur Verdoux actually get together and scissor IRL or just fantasise about it here? Come on ladies, clue us in.

ieXush2i

We are men and thus frot.

You share identical opinions with [banned member] regarding the licence fee. So wouldn't it be wanking in your own case?

Non Stop Dancer

Quote from: (Ex poster) on March 14, 2018, 01:52:14 PM
We are men

Sorry, honest mistake.

Quote from: (Ex poster) on March 14, 2018, 01:52:14 PM
You share identical opinions with [banned member] regarding the licence fee. So wouldn't it be wanking in your own case?

I think you're exaggerating there, which isn't like you at all. I pay a TV license - I just see it as an antiquated model and think it's days will be numbered when the next review comes around, presuming common sense prevails, and I certainly don't like agents of the state knocking on doors and saying "Papers, please." any more than I'd want Netflix doing the same, because that would be fucking bonkers wouldn't it?

Non Stop Dancer

As an aside though, I have wanked off [banned member] on a couple of occasions, but only because it was cold and we wanted to get a sweat on.

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on March 14, 2018, 12:49:24 AM

The 'message' is the same one the Christian right-wing have always had: progress is bad (perhaps FATAL), maybe we should go backwards?

I don't think he's saying that. Seems to me he's having a pop at the 'have it all' culture (unique to the West) which doesn't appear to have made anyone much happier.

The fantastic Camile Paglia was doing the same thing back in the 90s: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIomA2MQNI4

I think the area where JP risks not being taken seriously, as others have already said, is with him debating low-information journalists and straying into areas which look indistinguishable from self-help.

As with pop bands though, it's the uncritical adoration of the fans that will ultimately drive everyone away.

canadagoose

Jordan Peterson's Twitter reads like some 17-year-old thinking he's having original, "deep" philosophical thoughts and feels the need to share them all with the world, like some kind of Enlightened Genius or something.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Sony Walkman Prophecies on March 14, 2018, 07:10:08 PM
I don't think he's saying that. Seems to me he's having a pop at the 'have it all' culture (unique to the West) which doesn't appear to have made anyone much happier.

The fantastic Camile Paglia was doing the same thing back in the 90s: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIomA2MQNI4.

Let me make this crystal clear, he's no Paglia.

Quote from: Non Stop Dancer on March 14, 2018, 01:49:24 PM
I wonder if (Ex poster) and Monsieur Verdoux actually get together and scissor IRL or just fantasise about it here? Come on ladies, clue us in.

lol

Quote from: Sony Walkman Prophecies on March 14, 2018, 07:10:08 PM

The 'have it all' culture where people have sex OUTSIDE marriage *gasp* and women probably should be raising children and being dominated by men BUT THEY MAKE OTHER CHOICES INSTEAD *gasp*

he's a christian conservative and a mad cunt, why do people continue to try to wiggle round that. what deep recesses of the curdled, desperate, paranoid imagination of his fanbase is he appealing to?

ieXush2i

"have it all" = a woman having a career and children

because Peterson lives in a upper middle class bubble where women actually have the ability to have that choice, not realising "having it all" is a reality for most mothers, and a necessity

Petey Pate

Quote from: https://www.lrb.co.uk/blog/2018/03/15/samuel-earle/outselling-the-bible/In the fifteen days before the interview, his following across Facebook, Twitter and YouTube rose by roughly 35,000 users. In the fifteen days after, it increased by 253,000 users (40,000 more Twitter followers, 100,000 on Facebook, and 113,000 new subscribers on YouTube). His Patreon account now earns him over $60,000 a month from his supporters' donations, on top of his professional salary. His recent promo-tour in London was extended twice, with four events that each sold out within 24 hours. He appeared on stage in front of a huge portrait of himself with a halo around his head. 'Are you a prophet?' someone in the crowd asked. He will be back in May.

Howj Begg

I'm guessing having choice and freedom with their own bodies and persons has made some people a lot happier, but apparently it "appears not to have made anyone happier", so maybe not eh

it's a slippery slope to everyone just eating and fucking in the street while crying

Skunk Monk

YIPPEE, now we're free to be exploited just like the men!! And can pay for some peadophile strangers to raise the future generation.

Howj Begg

Quote from: Skunk Monk on March 15, 2018, 06:18:51 PM
YIPPEE, now we're free to be exploited just like the men!! And can pay for some peadophile strangers to raise the future generation.

Do you think J Peterson would be keen on use the old green?

Skunk Monk

I actually don't know who he is and have read none of the thread. So on that basis, maybe.

ieXush2i

Quote from: Howj Begg on March 15, 2018, 06:22:06 PM
Do you think J Peterson would be keen on use the old green?

He does go on the Roe Jogan show a lot

Skunk Monk

EDIT>
Nevermind, thought that was addressed to me and my anal scent glands kicked in.