Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 17, 2024, 12:32:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"ALWAYS DIFFERENT; ALWAYS THE SAME" type bands

Started by itsfredtitmus, March 10, 2018, 07:00:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

itsfredtitmus

EXCEEDINGLY PROLIFIC BANDS THAT RELEASE A TONNE OF ALBUMS EVERY DAY AND MOST OF THEM ARE ALRIGHT, YEAH

The yeerly HMHB
The yeerly of Montreal
The weekly Mekons
The bi-weekly Robert Pollard
The daily Stevie Moore

Sebastian Cobb

alan nagsworth

Deerhoof. In terms of remaining constantly fun, delightful, noisy, weird, colourful and always reinventing themselves with how they approach writing and recording music, they are the absolute best. Consistency-wise, they pip of Montreal for doing it so successfully.

Garage rock stuff is on a right wave of shit like this lately, namely the big hitters Oh Sees, Ty Segall and King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard. Never a dull moment these last five-ten years if you follow that stuff.

Mark Steels Stockbroker

I would say there are different epochs of GBV - early very lo-fi, then a more regular "indie rock" sound in the mid 90s, going quite slick when they were on a major, before settling on the later Matador sound. Also, there were many different eras of The Fall depending on who was the main musical collaborator/producer at the time.

But it may be that you have to be a committed fan to hear the differences - to the occasional listener. "it all sounds the same".

Dr Syntax Head

The latest shoegaze revival. As much as I have unconditional love of the genre I have given up on pretty much anything made since 2010.

I once heard Robert Pollard wrote 7 songs sitting on the toilet. True? False? I don't care I like the story and love GBV.

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: Mark Steels Stockbroker on March 10, 2018, 09:24:42 PM

But it may be that you have to be a committed fan to hear the differences - to the occasional listener. "it all sounds the same".

I'd say this applies to a lot of bands. Casual listeners of Radiohead (those that say The Bends is the best album because it's the only one they have) seem to argue that they just make miserable music because they heard No Surprises on the radio (head LOL)

Sebastian Cobb

Smashing Pumpkins, at least in the Siamese Dream/Gish era all sounded the same but different. If someone was playing it in their room all you heard was their signature bass, presumably lath and plaster strips out wailing guitars.

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 10, 2018, 11:02:19 PM
Smashing Pumpkins, at least in the Siamese Dream/Gish era all sounded the same but different. If someone was playing it in their room all you heard was their signature bass, presumably lath and plaster strips out wailing guitars.

I heard Oceania (I'm a major fan of them for the first 3 albums primarily) for the first time yesterday as it happens. Track 1 is basically Cherub Rock but different.

Sebastian Cobb

Yeah same on the first three. A lot of people seem to think that Mellon Collie should've been condensed to one disc, and it would've worked as a single disc of excellent songs, but it misses the point; when Mudhoney and Nirvana were making punk sound overproduced, coming out with a 28 track, 2-hour album of sheer self-indulgence is exactly what they should've been doing.

Dr Syntax Head

Totally agree. It's one of the things that differentiated them from the other grunge type bands of the time, the punk thing was getting boring. I think it's an impressive work of art.

purlieu

Quote from: Mark Steels Stockbroker on March 10, 2018, 09:24:42 PM
I would say there are different epochs of GBV - early very lo-fi, then a more regular "indie rock" sound in the mid 90s, going quite slick when they were on a major, before settling on the later Matador sound. Also, there were many different eras of The Fall depending on who was the main musical collaborator/producer at the time.

Throw in Pollard's other projects - solo and band - which tend to sound like one era of GBV or another, and it's a bastard of a discography to even consider starting on.

I tend to struggle with bands like this on the whole, I suppose I get to the point where I start getting bored. I think almost all of my favourite artists have radically changed their sound over the years, regularly to the point of becoming almost unrecognisable. I love that opportunity to explore a discography and be surprised and amazed every album or two. But that's directly outside the remit of this thread, so I suppose that's me done.

Sebastian Cobb

Yeah, I still listen to Mazzy Starr and the Pumpkins, I don't listen to all that much grunge these days.

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 10, 2018, 11:30:49 PM
Yeah, I still listen to Mazzy Starr and the Pumpkins, I don't listen to all that much grunge these days.

I still love grunge but where back in the early 90s I'd listen to pretty much any grunge (Yes I liked Bush and Candelbox and the like, but mainly for the guitar parts) I now only really listen to the quality stuff from the time (I'm going through a massive Soundgarden revival at the moment) and mainly from a nostalgia for my youth. It's my go to comfort music I guess. It's my big woolly flannel blanket.

Paaaaul

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on March 10, 2018, 10:56:50 PM
I once heard Robert Pollard wrote 7 songs sitting on the toilet. True? False? I don't care I like the story and love GBV.
Close.
I believe he said in an interview that when he's on the toilet he could wrote five songs. And three of them would be good.

Sebastian Cobb

PWEI, that's another one!
and Ned's Atomic Dustbin
and Carter USM.

None of them sounded like each other though.

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: Paaaaul on March 10, 2018, 11:53:19 PM
Close.
I believe he said in an interview that when he's on the toilet he could wrote five songs. And three of them would be good.

Yes that's the one.

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 10, 2018, 11:53:47 PM
PWEI, that's another one!
and Ned's Atomic Dustbin
and Carter USM.

None of them sounded like each other though.
The Sultans of Ping FC

Sebastian Cobb

Gregory Torso

Merzbow. Talk about a daunting discography. What are your top 50 Merzbow albums. Loved the bird stuff he was doing a while back with live drums though.
I suppose if you're a solo artist it's easier to just pump stuff out. Especially if it's just sonic toilet flushing.

Dr Syntax Head

AC/DC. Actually they don't fit the thread because every album is exactly the same.

rapid relief

comet gain, though they're not nearly as prolific as i wish they were. lots of members with david feck the only constant (pretty sure he's a big FALL FAN too)

alan nagsworth

Ariel Pink is definitely one of those artists that has an extremely diverse and expanding sound - especially on Pom Pom - but if I've ever heard something from him I'd not heard before, without knowing it was him, I've always been like "yeah that's definitely Ariel Pink."

I guess Sparks totally qualify for this as well eh.