Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:16:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Characters in films who have ridiculous names.

Started by Twit 2, March 11, 2018, 02:19:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gulftastic

Not a film, but Baltimore gangster Dennis Wise always made me chuckle.

Ferris

Named after a real Baltimore hitman who operated in the '70s, according to the foreword in my copy of "Homicide: a Year on the Killing Streets".

He could conceivably be the same character, as incarceration in the '70s would lead to him getting out of chokey around the time of the Wire.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

More the spelling than the name, but 'Peeta' from The Hunger Games just sounds silly.

Serge

Quote from: Gulftastic on March 17, 2018, 05:26:19 PM
Not a film, but Baltimore gangster Dennis Wise always made me chuckle.

Although it was a nickname, rather than his given name, I struggled with the fact that one of Barksdale's footsoldiers was called Poot. Maybe it doesn't have the same connotations in the States as it does here, or maybe his backstory was that he farted excessively, but this was never explored in the show.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

There was another character who got called Snot Bogie, just because he had a cold once.

Dr Rock

Not a film but Jessica Jones - a British person with the first name Griffin. I know there are Welsh Griffs and Gruffs and Iegyns but there are no UK Griffins. The actor sounds English he probably told them, but they probably said 'Does Mr & MRs Ymgmie Mamsteen from Buutfuck, Idaho know that? No, and do'n't forget we won the War Of Independence against you lot ya god-dam sunbitch Limey asshole!' and he'd have been all 'I say!'

Gregory Torso

BOLLOCKS

(not directed at any poster, just at me for not reading a thread properly AGAIN)

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Serge on March 17, 2018, 10:03:13 PM
Although it was a nickname, rather than his given name, I struggled with the fact that one of Barksdale's footsoldiers was called Poot. Maybe it doesn't have the same connotations in the States as it does here, or maybe his backstory was that he farted excessively, but this was never explored in the show.

Poot is a fart over here, a polite fart that everyone giggles about

Mantle Retractor

Surprised Star Wars hasn't featured yet.

Both from Attack of The Clones:

Elan Sleazebaganno

Poggle The Lesser

kidsick5000

Quote from: Mantle Retractor on March 19, 2018, 11:05:13 AM
Surprised Star Wars hasn't featured yet.

Both from Attack of The Clones:

Elan Sleazebaganno

Poggle The Lesser

Not a character, but having Admiral Akbar come from Mon Calamari has backfired with the increasing ubiquity of fried squid rings.

Absorb the anus burn

Peyton Flanders: The Hand That Rocks The Cradle.

mothman

And while we're on the subject (Peytoning it forward, as it were), has anybody mentioned Peyton Westlake, aka Darkman?

McChesney Duntz

Ah, finally a place to share this:

Shortly after Leonard Nimoy's death, I checked out his IMdB page and discovered what may be the greatest run of ridiculous character names of any single actor in the past century:

https://m.imdb.com/name/nm0000559/filmotype/actor?ref_=m_nmfm_1

Gulftastic

Butchers Blind

kalowski

The best names complete the sentence, "Hi, Doc, I think I have a touch of..."

eg  "Hi, Doc, I think I have a touch of Rusty Wells."

Famous Mortimer

Futuresport had the great Obike Fixx (Wesley Snipes).

greenman

Does intensionally silly count?

Sailor Ripley
Theodore Twombly
etc