Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:58:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Dead Malls/Shitty Dead Hotels/Other Spooky Fucking Places Dan Bell Visits

Started by H-O-W-L, March 11, 2018, 06:52:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

H-O-W-L

https://www.youtube.com/user/moviedan/videos

This bloke visits a lot of dead malls and shitty dead hotels and shite like that.

Right scary. Right interesting.

The Leakin Park video is pretty creepers.

canadagoose

Dan Bell is great. I think he inspired quite a lot of people to do dead mall videos, but his tend to be the most professional. Not sure what my favourite of his would be - was it him that did the Owings Mills Mall video in the outskirts of Baltimore? It felt really eerie, and it was interesting to hear about its downfall.

bgmnts

Big set of bollocks on him but lost me at haunted in one of his videos.

Edit - however, if he explored the Odessa Catacombs i'd buy him a pint.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I love all this sort of thing. I'd like to see a similar video exploring London's abandoned tube stations. The best I've found in the past was a bunch of photos.

He should get himself one of those motorised camera stabilisers. Lots of John Carpenter/The Shining style  gliding shots would enhance the otherworldly creepiness.

Does he get permission to visit these places? I'd have thought he'd be providing ample evidence of trespass, otherwise.

Mister Six

I think it's one of those things where it's down to the cops to A: Find out about these videos, and B: Give a flying fuck when they do.

Plus, if he's doing them in other states, he's probably fine unless he returns to that state (and, realistically, that county/city).

Phil_A

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on March 11, 2018, 08:37:02 PM
I love all this sort of thing. I'd like to see a similar video exploring London's abandoned tube stations. The best I've found in the past was a bunch of photos.

He should get himself one of those motorised camera stabilisers. Lots of John Carpenter/The Shining style  gliding shots would enhance the otherworldly creepiness.

Does he get permission to visit these places? I'd have thought he'd be providing ample evidence of trespass, otherwise.

I can't see most of these urbexers doing that, the danger of getting caught is half the fun.

From what Dan has said it seems like he got a bit wary of the need to constantly one-up himself with his exploration videos, which is why he's concentrating on more documentary content now.

My favourite of his is probably the burnt-out meat factory, they weren't kidding about that place being the stuff of nightmares. Still get a bit spooked out by the part where they hear what sounds like women talking in the distance when there's clearly no-one else down there in that hell-hole. Probably it was just a weird combination of acoustics with the dripping water, but all the same I would've got the fuck out of there if I had heard that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTLqJ76hosI

Phil_A

Quote from: Phil_A on March 11, 2018, 11:25:39 PM
I can't see most of these urbexers doing that, the danger of getting caught is half the fun.

Having said that, I've just watched another video where he starts off by saying the owners gave him the keys, so it sounds like he does try and get permission when he can.

H-O-W-L

The Leakin Park video is my favourite even though fuck-all really happens, because the absolute morbidity that oozes out of the screen is absolutely palpable. It might be because I was shitfaced last night when I watched it in full for the first time in a while, but fucking hell it's just so grim to watch, knowing that this place is where people get murdered and/or dumped after they've been horribly murdered.

It's so much more visceral and frightening to watch knowing that Dan is in a place where people actually get fucking whacked, because the horror is entirely human-borne rather than just from "ooh there might be a spooky ghost", you know? Tremendous stuff.

The fact they are privvy to a shooting incident at the start is just icing on the terror sundae.

Phil_A

Quote from: H-O-W-L on March 11, 2018, 11:47:13 PM
The Leakin Park video is my favourite even though fuck-all really happens, because the absolute morbidity that oozes out of the screen is absolutely palpable. It might be because I was shitfaced last night when I watched it in full for the first time in a while, but fucking hell it's just so grim to watch, knowing that this place is where people get murdered and/or dumped after they've been horribly murdered.

It's so much more visceral and frightening to watch knowing that Dan is in a place where people actually get fucking whacked, because the horror is entirely human-borne rather than just from "ooh there might be a spooky ghost", you know? Tremendous stuff.

The fact they are privvy to a shooting incident at the start is just icing on the terror sundae.

You're not wrong. Everything about that park just gives it the feeling of being one of the most desolate, hopeless places on Earth, and I can see the fascination it holds for him. It's bizarre to think this terrifying murder pit is right on the doorstep of these very ordinary suburban neighbourhoods.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Phil_A on March 12, 2018, 12:01:33 AM
You're not wrong. Everything about that park just gives it the feeling of being one of the most desolate, hopeless places on Earth, and I can see the fascination it holds for him. It's bizarre to think this terrifying murder pit is right on the doorstep of these very ordinary suburban neighbourhoods.

Baltimore's neighbourhoods are far from normal, unfortunately. But I get your point. It really does feel like when he steps into those woods he's in a land beyond human mutual understanding, you know? That pretty much any other human he sees there is going to be out to kill him no matter what. You know how some video games have areas where normally-neutral NPCs are just instantly volatile toward you? Like that. It's fucking horrifying.

The cop at the end of the video is obviously so shitscared to be out in Leakin Park at night, especially alone, too. I can imagine that poor bastard was expecting a gang ambush.

newbridge

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on March 11, 2018, 08:37:02 PM

As I've learned from watching a bunch of Ally Law videos as linked in another thread,* you're basically in the clear as long as you don't damage anything and aren't entering with an otherwise unlawful purpose. Maybe the property owner could bring a civil trespass action against him for nominal damages, but I doubt the owner of a dead mall cares enough to hire a lawyer.

(* - of course, he does those in the UK, whereas with the amount of running from cops/security he does he would have been shot dead long ago here in the U.S.)

Natnar

Quote from: Phil_A on March 11, 2018, 11:25:39 PM

From what Dan has said it seems like he got a bit wary of the need to constantly one-up himself with his exploration videos, which is why he's concentrating on more documentary content now.

My favourite of his is probably the burnt-out meat factory, they weren't kidding about that place being the stuff of nightmares. Still get a bit spooked out by the part where they hear what sounds like women talking in the distance when there's clearly no-one else down there in that hell-hole. Probably it was just a weird combination of acoustics with the dripping water, but all the same I would've got the fuck out of there if I had heard that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTLqJ76hosI

Have you seen the video where he goes back to the meat factory during the day and there's fog coming from inside the building? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1jtyVtDhng

I think he's pretty pissed  off with Youtube these days, hence why he doesn't upload as much as he used to. It was interesting to see that he re-uploaded his "Trapped & Terrified" video a couple of months ago with a new commentary video where he admitted that the whole thing had been scripted. 

Natnar

Just bumping this to mention that Season 2 of Another Dirty Room started a couple of weeks ago (it's being released on Youtube and Amazon Prime at the same time). https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNz4Un92pGNynv3d-xQe3MocnNnnhCgIP

It seems that Dan & Will have had some sort of falling out so Will isn't involved with this anymore.

hedgehog90

Saw the first episode and don't think I'll bother with the rest.
Can't stand that new kid.

Phil_A

Yeah, the new bloke changes the group dynamic and not in a good way. This show really doesn't need unfunny bro pranks every five minutes.

It's a real fucker about Dan and Will no longer working together though. What happened there?

What was the weird bit with the crew guy having to leave due to being sick at tbe start of the second one? I can't figure if it was a joke, very odd.

Natnar

Quote from: Phil_A on July 02, 2018, 11:46:28 AM
It's a real fucker about Dan and Will no longer working together though. What happened there?

Apparently Dan does say why on one of his podcasts, but as it's only on Patreon i haven't heard it. I thought it was just that Will wanted to work on his own stuff but it seems to be something more than that.

Clownbaby

I forgot about his channel, time for a fukin' binge

I can't remember which one it was but there was a honeymoon hotel with a massive beautiful gold room and a heart shaped hot tub. I love that he very rarely speaks or films himself/whoever is with him so you actually see the place and feel an atmosphere like you're there. Practically every other channel is some douchey shit with a Go Pro trying to climb things and shouting