Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 17, 2024, 12:35:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Annihilation

Started by Custard, March 12, 2018, 08:52:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phantom_power

Was there ever an explanation of the lost time?

VelourSpirit

I'm thick so I don't get it, help. Or maybe I get it and there just isn't much to get (I hope it's the latter so I can still pretend I'm not an idiot and it's the film's fault). Something about destroying your relationships and not being able to define yourself, but it doesn't matter because you're gonna get absorbed into this singular organism like End of Evangelion? What were the clones about? I was a bit bored during the exciting bit everyone was saying was like 2001. it's not like I could really explain what was going on in 2001 but that sort of seemed compelling. I'm glad this got made anyway.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

The clones could be something to do with othering your mistakes, rather than owning up to them. Sort of like how you might lock your keys in the car and say "You idiot" instead of "I'm an idiot."

Norton Canes

Just watched it. World does not need a reboot of Xtro.

Norton Canes

So, after Portman's totalled the croc, one of her team asks her where she learned to shoot. Which implies that none of the others have been taught. Which means they've been sent on a dangerous mission armed with military-issue automatic rifles that they don't know how to use. Strong likelihood of them accidentally shooting each other I'd have thought.

niat

Quote from: Norton Canes on March 29, 2018, 08:09:04 AM
So, after Portman's totalled the croc, one of her team asks her where she learned to shoot. Which implies that none of the others have been taught. Which means they've been sent on a dangerous mission armed with military-issue automatic rifles that they don't know how to use. Strong likelihood of them accidentally shooting each other I'd have thought.

Doesn't that just imply that she's a good shot? Not that the rest of them have had no training at all.

Norton Canes

I could understand that if she snipered the croc from 100 yards or something, but she just kneels in front of it and empties the clip at almost point-blank range. She does absolutely the basics, and the other are still amazed.

I mean this is almost the least of the movie's problems, but still.

phantom_power

I think it is just the way she deal with the situation with the minimum of fuss and without panicking, showing that she has had experience of being in "the shit"

buzby

Quote from: phantom_power on March 29, 2018, 09:04:28 PM
I think it is just the way she deal with the situation with the minimum of fuss and without panicking, showing that she has had experience of being in "the shit"
Yes, she stands her ground and aims for it's head rather than panicking and firing wildly like the others.

In the script it was addressed a bit more explicitly as Lena is first introduced to the others at the Southern Reach firing range. Anya and Cass are putting loose groups into their targets, Josie is struggling with her rifle, not even hitting the target and Lena is putting tight 3-round groups into the centre of the target, like someone who has obviously had training.

Sin Agog

Turning her from a pure biologist into an ex-sold'jah biologist kinda dampened my sympathy for her character.  I liked the idea of her delving into that world purely with the intention of looking for new ecosystems and natural patterns, but making her a reticent Ripley tainted that feeling somewhat. 

asids

Quote from: Norton Canes on March 29, 2018, 08:09:04 AM

This is going to sound stupid, but I noticed that the physicist woman had quite muscular arms just before she turned into that plant/tree thing - maybe this was an implication she had military training? Regardless, this is nitpicking compared to the film's real problems - poor script, the crap CGI, the ending and the general feel that the film wants to be something more than it actually is or deserves to be.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Here's one of them there video essays about how to interpret the film: www.youtube.com/watch?v=URo66iLNEZw