Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 04:34:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Derek Rewatch

Started by madhair60, March 14, 2018, 09:49:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lemming

Was about to do this tonight to get in before DerkeDay, but it's too much to take. Next week will just have to be some kind of nightmarish back-to-back affair.

Is there some kind of roll call we can do to check who's still in for this pain-a-thon?

trueusername

We don't have the budget to hire some entertainer for 2 hours, while the Mac monitor was filling the shot. Poetic. Also let's do a Duran Duran theme party with lights and costumes. Bloody hell I'm pretty sure you can find someone to work for that price. There was one of those rappers they have now in the show, and Gervais writes a tough black dude the only way he knows it. Like it's Tim from the Office being awkward around people.

rue the polywhirl

I kinda steamrollered through the complete series already and to be totally honest I enjoyed a fair whack of it. Mid season of 1 is kinda boring and there is the biggest prolapse of quality at the beginning of series 2 when Karl quits the show from which it never really regathers itself but the robot grief dog is legit the funniest thing I've seen in ages. The two things that kept me glued to the show were Ricky Gervais's sideways mugging to the camera which was Herculean in its constancy and the overuse of Einaudi and Coldplay which quickly became mantra-like. All of it is like watching a Guinness Record attempt at the hackiest, laziest, most insincere fusing of comedy and drama but there is something quite joyous to behold about that as well.

madhair60

Series 1, Episode 5, let's Derke it to the limit

Cuellar

Quote from: rue the polywhirl on April 19, 2018, 12:24:24 AM
Mid season of 1 is kinda boring

This has been the main realisation from watching it again. Most of the time I'm just thinking 'oh god I don't CARE this is boring as fuck'. But I suppose that's a symptom of the lazy writing and seeming lack of interest in anything approaching character or plot on the part of the writer.

madhair60

Well this died on its arse.

FredNurke

If only Gervais would follow suit.

Ferris

Once a week is too infrequent, I forgot about it tbh. Kick it into gear, one a day

Lemming

It seemed like everyone else had dropped out, and there's no point in just sitting there and watching Derek without the backing of a community to journey through the nightmare together.

Imagine just sitting and choosing to watch Derek, alone. Desolation.

Danger Man

It was only really watchable when you didn't know what was coming.

Knowing in advance that it's a pile of shit (until robot dog) turned it into a chore.

Ferris

I've never seen it, so I'm going to bravely plow on. Forlornly posting my thoughts into the void.

Quote from: Danger Man on May 08, 2018, 07:50:23 PM

For me it would only be watchable if I suddenly stopped loathing Ricky Gervais with a passion. That cunt truly sets my teeth on edge

Ferris

Right, wife is out so I'm getting stuck back in. Finishing episode 5 (I must have switched it off, Netflix reckons I have 7 minutes left). Ruining Radiohead for me, which is not ideal.

Matey is drawing on crabs. Christ, this is bad.

Edit: final punchline was "cunt" because she has a nice house, while Radiohead plays (again) over a "heartwarming" montage of an elderly woman meeting her real family of confuses old codgers.

Onto the finale!

Steven

Quote from: Danger Man on May 08, 2018, 07:50:23 PM

Then a mass re-watch by the time you're all in old people's homes with alzheimer's might be on the cards? Looking at Gervais' mental health, I imagine you won't have to even watch Derek by then as he may very well be a resident himself if the Hollywood stuff dries up.

Ferris

Ah Christ, this isn't the finale - there's another one!

Here comes the rapper. Made it 30 seconds before a bit of Gervaisian cod-racism, but done with the veneer of irony so it's fine!! Haha!!!

Ferris

Finished the last 7 minutes of ep6, dreadful stuff.

About to put the finale on while I clean the kitchen. "You're brilliant, bruv". Fucking hell

Ferris

This is so mawkish and manipulative it's actually making me angry.

Edit 1: Why is the handyman at a residents funeral? Or, indeed, the drunk bloke who hangs around?

Edit 2: Was there anyone in the production room who said "maybe the 3rd long camera pan through gravestones while the patented SAD PIANO plays might be a bit too 'on the nose' for the combination funeral/cloying pathos talking heads/returning parent out of nowhere? Maybe we'll limit it to 2?". Apparently not.

Edit 3: first genuine laugh - Gervais finishing a sentence, then a long shot of him doing his "Derek" walk shuffling off into a church, mad stuff. And now a bit of Coldplay over a funeral montage - hey Ricky, sometimes less is more. These monologue talking head bits are ridiculous.

Edit 4: "Tears stream down your face" wails Chris Martin as we get the shot of people with tears streaming down their face, followed with "when you lose something you cannot replace" as we get a shot of (presumably?) the daughter who lost their mum and you can't replace that eh?. I'd like them to do a whole episode of shots of things that song lyrics are describing, intercut with the sex-offender one making off colour remarks. Peak-Derek.

Edit 5: properly laughed at the "could it be woooooorse?" Coldplay lyric because the image we got was the husband look pensive at his wife's funeral and it was like getting his inner monologue, but his inner monologue is very high pitched with a Hammond organ.

Edit 6: the closing montage of "Derek is kind" was amazing. It was like the bit in Darkplace where episodes were too short so they put it all in slo-mo to make up the time.

Blimey, all done. That was a sight to behold. I'm absolutely going to keep going, a lone pilot flying on a solo mission into the darkness of Derek.

Ferris

Actually, I'm not going to watch any more of this unless there's a community rewatch. I just derive no pleasure from it, alas. It's far too bad to be "haha funny" bad. It's just unpleasant and grating. 8 minutes into the opener for series 2 is where I plant my flag. This far shall I go, and no further.

St_Eddie

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 12, 2018, 09:05:35 PM
Actually, I'm not going to watch any more of this unless there's a community rewatch. I just derive no pleasure from it, alas. It's far too bad to be "haha funny" bad. It's just unpleasant and grating. 8 minutes into the opener for series 2 is where I plant my flag. This far shall I go, and no further.

I would join you for a rewatch but like you say, the show's far too bad, for it to be worthwhile.  I enjoyed reading your write-up though.

Ferris

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 14, 2018, 04:39:27 PM
I would join you for a rewatch but like you say, the show's far too bad, for it to be worthwhile.  I enjoyed reading your write-up though.

I'm glad you enjoyed it - some good has come of all this.

MadHair mate, you're on your own with this rewatch unless you can rustle up some more sadists to watch along with series 2

The Lion King

I went and watched it all in about a week earlier in this thread as couldn't wait about. It's easier to tear off the plaster quickly. I watched them out of sequence with Spanish subtitles and was ill at the time and I don't think I want to do it again as I believe the symptoms may have been derek related